Protein Powder? Exercise?

Options
It's the dawn of my newest fitness revelation! I just figured out that such a thing as "endomorphs" exist in the world and they are not in fact aliens, but people just like me. To combat evil body type (how did I ever not realize it before!?) I have been trying over the past week to reduce my carbs to 40%. To achieve this, I've investigated protein powders and just picked up some trial packs of PlantFusion (vegetable based protein) from my local co-op.

So... my question now, how do I use it!? I understand the basic smoothie/shake idea - but does it affect the powder if I heat it up? For instance, cook it in the microwave with my morning oatmeal for like... 5 minutes? Can it be added to brownies? Pancakes? (Not that I eat those every day, but to make an indulgence more healthy?)

Also, I want to try doing some structured exercising again but I'm not sure if I should go for running or do P90x. Suggestions? Is running too much cardio for an endomorph? Thanks for any help! I feel like I never run out of questions.

Replies

• trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's the dawn of my newest fitness revelation! I just figured out that such a thing as "endomorphs" exist in the world and they are not in fact aliens, but people just like me. To combat evil body type (how did I ever not realize it before!?) I have been trying over the past week to reduce my carbs to 40%. To achieve this, I've investigated protein powders and just picked up some trial packs of PlantFusion (vegetable based protein) from my local co-op.

So... my question now, how do I use it!? I understand the basic smoothie/shake idea - but does it affect the powder if I heat it up? For instance, cook it in the microwave with my morning oatmeal for like... 5 minutes? Can it be added to brownies? Pancakes? (Not that I eat those every day, but to make an indulgence more healthy?)

Also, I want to try doing some structured exercising again but I'm not sure if I should go for running or do P90x. Suggestions? Is running too much cardio for an endomorph? Thanks for any help! I feel like I never run out of questions.

I would stir it into the oatmeal after you cook it. A lot of protein powders get gummy in the microwave. Blecch. I also make protein pancakes (and waffles yummmmmm).

Are you vegan/vegetarian, or are you open to trying whey and/or casein protein powders? Casein generally thickens things up quite a bit, so I love to use that in batters and in oatmeal.

I'm always going to tell someone to lift over running. You want to maintain and/or increase your lean body mass, which requires resistance training. P90X has 2 days of cardio stuff (well, plyometrics at least is aerobic for me, kenpo X definitely is), and you could always throw a run in on your yoga X day if you have time for both.
  • skinnylion
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not vegetarian or vegan but sometimes dairy doesn't seem to digest well for me, which is why I opted for a plant-based powder. I will be sure to try casein if I ever decide to bake with one. :)

Also - good idea! Thanks! I could definitely do yoga in the morning and run when I get home. I'm going to set up a schedule I think because I want to get in some good strength training before the holidays come.