I have just started and I feel like dying!

Options
Hi everyone

I never in my life thought I would decide to start running. I always thought running was for crazy athlectic for people, not someone like me.

Last week I was just feeling so miserable, tired of being fat and unfit. So I signed up to MFP and concidentally, I met up with a friend for lunch. She is a runner and somewhere in the middle of the lunch I agreed to run 3Ks in 7 weeks time.

That was the start, I feel like having a goal is definitely forcing me to go out and walk/run when I dont feel like it

I have been running everyday this week, first time I could barely make it to the end of my road - about 150m. I would walk to the end and run back, walk some more until i felt it was ok to run again and do it all over.

I surprised myself - now I can run double the distance I could in the first day but still, I am a LONG way to go from the 3ks I have to run in November

I have downloaded the App C25K and today I did day one. To be honest I did the runs until the 6th time I had to run and then I couldn't do it anymore, I am just so unfit - it was hard! Does it get better? Please tell me it does!!

I am also scared of not going everyday. I am scared of getting lazy and giving up - I really dont want to give up!

Any tips for a beginner who never ran in her life?

Replies

• flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. I did C25K last summer and the first time I went out I JUST managed the 8 runs - and for the last run I would probably have walked it faster!
    Sometimes you'll have bad days, stepping up the length of time you run may nearly kill you, you will run up a small hill and feel like dying...BUT it is so worth it! There is nothing like the feeling when you can run a mile without stopping...and then run for 20 minutes without stopping...and then run a 5K without stopping!
    Just don't give up, and keep going out and running, that's the main thing. I'd suggest you run 3-4 times a week, you'll need a day in-between to let your body get used to this! Also that's when your muscles repair and get stronger. Don't worry about speed either, if you want to stop, just go a little slower. Building up your endurance is more important than running fast....and you will get faster with practice.
    But watch out! Running is addictive!
    Good luck!
  • DeeDee1066
    DeeDee1066 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I'm at week 7 and had good runs and bad runs during the program. Just get out there. I also strongly agree - only do every other day running. I have lost 68# and have about that much more to loose and this has really helped kick up my weight loss. I shuffle run sometimes as I'm working through this thing but I AM RUNNING. It doesn't matter if you are fast.

Do it.!!! You never regret it.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely take those rest days. I often feel like I want to do it ever day, but I know it is best to let the body recover. On my rest days I go on a very easy walk with my dig. Dog is happy and it loosens up the muscles from the running.
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also felt like that you after my first run, wondering what the heck I was doing, I didnt belong running, I wanted my couch back !! Stick with it, it DOES get easier, I just completed week 4 and beginning week 5 and I can honestly say I look forward to my runs now. Download some good music and just go out there and do it. Its ok to sometimes not be able to complete the runs , dont beat yourself up and also know its ok to repeat any weeks if you dont feel ready to move on. I did both week 3 and 4 twice. Good luck and come back and let us know how you are doing :))
  • Needtobefitandslimagain
    Options
    Hey, it does get easier, I was exactly the same.
    I'm now at week 4 and I can honestly say its getting better. Stick with it and don't be too hard on yourself.
    Leaving a rest day is also very important.

Good luck with the next run, I'm sure you will do fab, let us know! X
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I shuffle run sometimes as I'm working through this thing but I AM RUNNING. It doesn't matter if you are fast.
    Yep same here. and I felt like dying each time, for a long time. It gets easier, especially now that the weather's cooling down, for me anyway. I'm on week 7 and while I don't have any 5k plans at the moment, it does feel good to know I can do a whole heck of a lot more than I did just a few weeks ago, and I never did anything like this before in my life.
  • running_mum
    running_mum Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I am going to take the advice and have a rest day. I am just scared to get lazy again!
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    What a great thread :)
    I'm getting ready to start Week4.
    I was scared at first to take time off, and not start back up because I tried doing the program last year, and gave up after the first session.
    So, I started about 5 weeks ago (took a full week off because I was really sick), but I've stuck to it.
    Saturday morning, I actually ran over a mile on my own without stopping. This was HUGE. But..the next day, I was really struggling to finish W3D3...so, as everyone says, even if you have one bad day, stay with it. The next time will be better.
    The one thing I have learned though, is that it's super important to have days off in between. Your muscles will thank you!! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It does get better - That's the point of the program

At the very worst you will walk part of your 5Ks. At every 5K I go to, there are people who walk some of it. It happens all the time. So what? No one is judging you.

Improvement only happens when you don't give up, so don't :) I think most people who have done C25K have had days or weeks they just couldn't keep up. It's ok.
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It definitely does get better. And please DO take your rest days, they are there to help you.

I smiled as I read your post. A few months ago I would have seen runners and thought they were a little crazy, especially when the weather is too hot (or cold)! But then in August I started C25k and now I look forward to my running days. I take off the rest days even when I don't feel like it because I know that it is better for my body. I even repeated Wk 4 because I just didn't feel ready for week 5 (with it's 20 min run!), then completed week 5 comfortably. :-)

Yesterday it was raining when I went out to for run 2 of week 6, and I smiled to myself thinking "Does this make me a real runner? I am out in the rain, with my waterproof, soggy trousers from all the puddles, a warm hat and my determination." :tongue:

Stick with it, it's really worth it! Keep posting, (there's loads of support) and enjoy yourself. You'll be surprised how soon you notice a difference in your fitness. I used to get out of breath on the warm up walk, last week I ran for 20 minutes..! It was tough, really tough, but I did it. You can too!
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K too, and I love it (after I finish it, I feel like I can do anything). I don't have any tips. But good luck!
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Just did my first run last night too. I was dying during it, couldn't complete all the runs, but I am thrilled I did it. It was my first time ever running in public and it felt great. I cant wait for my next run day. I wanted to go tonight too, but it looks like the rest days are important. So, I guess I won't. Just go for a walk on that same route.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Once your body's more used to running, the taking rest days thing can relax a bit (I've been known to do 2 5Ks in a day, and I usually run twice in a weekend, one 5K and one long run), but at first I think the rest days are as important as the run days. I used to HURT!
  • violetcharms
    violetcharms Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    im currently on Power 90.

Am wondering if it is okay to add in C25K as well... as I still would like to train for runs.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    im currently on Power 90.

Am wondering if it is okay to add in C25K as well... as I still would like to train for runs.

The only reason I don't recommend two programs at once is because people end up not taking rest days. If you're getting 2-3 days per week of rest, it should be fine. Recovery days are extremely important for C25k.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could do it either. And Day 1 was extremely hard for me. But you know what? Day 2 was just a little bit easier and each time I did it, I surprised myself. I just finished W8D2 this morning -- 28 mins straight of running. Even though I did it two days ago, I still question if I can do it. And you know what? I CAN! and so can you.

New Shoes and New running Clothes helped me to get motivated. Make sure you have comfy shoes and a good jog bra (if necessary). Go as slow as you need to and rest up every other day (or do something else on those days). I've occassionally gone two days in a row, but I've also skipped two days in between. Having a 5K scheduled definitely helps to keep me motivated.

Don't give up...it does get better and you CAN do it!