Paleo - "No going back" is crucial.

renkatrun
renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
I apologize because this is a bit of a cross-posting, but I thought it was worth it.

I finally watched all of Big Fat Lies today and then had an interesting discussion with a friend of mine who is finishing up her medical residency. She said that one thing that the medical community is concerned about - based on research studies of people who have been on a "low carb" diet - is that if they do it to lose weight for a while - they tend to return to their previous diet - but with a new taste for (and no fear of) high fat foods. The combination of high glucose and high fat means a very efficient way to stuff those greedy fat cells.

Her comments made perfect sense when Taube talks (in the last twenty minutes of the lecture) about how insulin is necessary for fat storage. (I also totally get how people who "cheat" regularly - like once a day - aren't seeing the benefits of paleo).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4362041487661765149

So... new meaning to "once you go paleo, you can't go back" :)

Replies

• GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Very interesting, and I'm glad you brought this up for people to think about.

Primal eating feels very natural to me, and I love the benefits I've experienced: weight loss, energy, mental clarity. I've accidentally ingested flour a couple of times and felt HORRIBLE afterward: foggy brained, drained, headache, achy joints the next day. So to me, I feel certain at this point that the good outweighs the bad (no pun intended) and that motivates me to want to eat Primally for the rest of my life.

But every day, either in my personal life or here on MFP, I see people who are on the fence about it. People who do well for a few days, then go through the drive thru for double cheeseburgers because they didn't plan ahead or just caved to temptation or whatever. I think these are the people who might not be ready for the lifestyle change at this point, or maybe this isn't the right lifestyle for them ever. That's not a bad thing. We're all unique. Just because it works for me, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Thanks again for sharing this information. I'd like to watch the video you mentioned.
  • renkatrun

Thanks again for sharing this information. I'd like to watch the video you mentioned.

It is the google link above :)

No - I don't think that paleo is for everyone. I would love for my husband to jump on the bandwagon, but he won't give up bread. That means he has been tempted to have bacon and eggs every morning like I do - but putting them on a piece of bread like he does might spell disaster... makes me very nervous! I think if a person is "cheating" every other day - they might be doing themselves more damage than good.
  • But every day, either in my personal life or here on MFP, I see people who are on the fence about it. People who do well for a few days, then go through the drive thru for double cheeseburgers because they didn't plan ahead or just caved to temptation or whatever. I think these are the people who might not be ready for the lifestyle change at this point, or maybe this isn't the right lifestyle for them ever. That's not a bad thing. We're all unique. Just because it works for me, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

A little insight from someone suffering the "on again off again" syndrome. :ohwell:

I know eating primal feels good; I can tell by the energy I have after a few good "on" days compared to the day after an "off" day. I know this is the right path for me, and the fact that I sought it out and am committed to making this work proves (at least to me) that I'm ready to make this lifestyle change. But 32 years of bad food relationships (food as a reward, food as comfort, food as a social medium, and boredom eating) combined with the same amount of years having the SAD pounded into my head....I can't just turn those habits off overnight. I'm still a little overwhelmed at the grocery store when I walk down the isles and notice how many things have wheat/grain in them. I'm a creature of habit, and it's going to take some time, conscious effort, failings, and getting right back ups before I can consider this to be a full lifestyle change. A lot of people I've talked to about this can drop anything not primal and go all out, and I envy them. Me, I have to take it step by step and bit by bit.

I guess what it comes down to is that I know primal is right for me, but I need time and work to correct my knee jerk reactions to stress and food.
  • renkatrun
    My comment really does come out of a concern for my husband's health and the health of people who wind up eating *both* high carb and high fat. The lecture lays out the danger pretty clearly. Carbs usher fats into the cells.

I figure the "all or nothing" is easier for me because I am older and not really into sweets (I cut candy out two years ago). Nor do I live in the US. I didn't mean to sound judgmental!
  • My comment really does come out of a concern for my husband's health and the health of people who wind up eating *both* high carb and high fat. The lecture lays out the danger pretty clearly. Carbs usher fats into the cells.

I figure the "all or nothing" is easier for me because I am older and not really into sweets (I cut candy out two years ago). Nor do I live in the US. I didn't mean to sound judgmental!

Oh, you didn't sound judgmental at all! I just wanted to throw my perspective out there. I WISH that I didn't like sweets; that would make things so much easier. And I wish I could go all out and drop everything that's not primal. My dad sounds a lot like your husband... the very thought of not having bread at every meal is out of the question for him. He can't imagine being full after a meal without bread, and I don't know that I'll ever be able to convince him otherwise. Looking back I find that bread is probably what always made me feel over full after meals... I know I can be happy with meat and veggies. Right now my weak point is rice; I've had a couple cheats that involved an on-the-go meat/veggie/rice meal or sushi.

I'm listening to the lecture now; all the information I can take in will help! Thanks for posting this.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Bump. Must watch video later. Danger high carb and high fat for non paleo family members.
  • renkatrun
    I forgot to add - I am a complete nerd/geek and love lectures. Some of you might be bored out of your skulls. I think it still might make sense if you just watch the last 20 minutes :)
  • <-- *points to self* Total Nerd. :glasses:

I listened to the lecture and then bought his book for my kindle: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It. It pretty much covers what was in the lecture; for anyone that's like me and retains better from reading than listening. I'm almost finished with it and it makes so much sense.