Starting Strength training 3rd edition

Options
reneelee
reneelee Posts: 877 Member
Hello Ladies,

I want to share with you all a great book that I found on amazon to go with our NROL4W. "Starting Strength Basic Barbell training 3rd edition'' By Mark Rippetoe

Mark disssects each exercise, so important to have the feet and knees in the right possition so the hips work properly.
example for a squat your feet should be shoulder width apart, toes turn out as if pointing to corners of the room. Know sit down spine straigh no arch in your back, notice knees are not past your toes the knees are close to being inline with the ankles. While in this possition put an elbow on the inside of each knee and touch your wrist with your hands. Notice how the knees flare out to the side, this would be a proper squat. Also when doing the squat you should be looking down about 4-5 feet infront of you, most people look up when doing a squat.
I bought this book for my husban, but I will be reading it as well.

Replies

• jamkat
    jamkat Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Strange how just a slight adjustment or two makes such a differnece! I did all my squats in Stage 1 with my toes pointed straight ahead. Pointing them out like you describe helps me go lower into the squat. Thank you for sharing this tip!!
  • mermegan
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've seen some of his videos on YouTube, but they're pretty long :) I may pick up that book. Re: squats, I've been pointing my toes forward and wondering why I can't go as low as I'd like. I tried them with toes pointed out (w/out weights and could sit lower) Just a slight outward turn?
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Funny thing I just bought this book on amazon as well last week because I've heard really great things about it. Also, on amazon you can preview the contents and when I saw the detail in which he describes doing a barbell squat I knew this would be a great source of knowledge for anyone who lifts.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've seen some of his videos on YouTube, but they're pretty long :) I may pick up that book. Re: squats, I've been pointing my toes forward and wondering why I can't go as low as I'd like. I tried them with toes pointed out (w/out weights and could sit lower) Just a slight outward turn?

Toes turned out 30 degrees.