Do I have MS???

Options
Hi there everyone! I started having symptoms one year ago. I have weakness in both legs, abnormal gait, loss of balance, urge urinary incontinence. Some blurry vision, heat intolerance with profuse sweating. I'm female, 38yrs old.

My cervical MRI w contrast was normal but my brain MRI w contrast showed one lesion. I meet with my neurologist on Friday. I'm not sure if I have MS or not. My gut tells me I do but only one lesion??? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

As far as excercise, my walking is limited. I really want to get in shape and i need to lose 120lbs. Any suggestions on what to start with? I went to the gym 2 weeks ago for the first time in a year. I did 10min walking on the treadmill and 30 at the circuit trainer. Not much, I know but all I could do....

Would love some thoughts or advice. Thanks, Christine

Replies

• Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are going through this. What did the neurologist say for a diagnosis? I know some neuros err on the side of caution and won't officially diagnose MS unless there has been 2 or more separate attacks. It can still be MS with only 1 active lesion, but your neuro is the best person to ask. Make sure that you have a neuro that you trust and feel comfortable with. Get a 2nd opinion if necessary.
    As far as exercise, do what you can, listen to your body. It may mean that you can do more on some days or nothing on others. Walking and water sports are what I find to be easiest to start with. If you can manage it then try walking the treadmill on an incline, it burns more calories than walking on a flat surface. The more you do, the more stamina you will have as time goes by, just start slow and increase a little whenever you can. Maybe you add a few minutes one day then a faster walk another day. Don't be afraid to add new things, just take it slow and stop if you don't think you can keep up.

Good luck!
  • SuzinSullivan
    Options
    It does sound like MS, but only your Neuro can tell you for sure. My best advice would be to track what you eat with MFP and do only the amount of exercise you feel you can. Every little bit will help, and if we lose slower than some people, it beats gaining! Good luck on your journey, and add me as a friend if you'd like some encouragement along the way :)
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear this, it's a huge shock to have ill health come on you, especially when you're young. Sinis is right about 2 attacks for a diagnosis (noticeable relapses or lesions on MRI at different times). The neuro may suggest a lumbar puncture which can indicate (not definitely prove) MS if positive. My advice to you would be to stay calm and strong. I know how awul it is to not have a definite diagnosis, to be in limbo land. It took 3 years for my diagnosis. I wish I'd not wasted time worrying so much...it achieves nowt! MS can be a devastating condition but many many people live fairly normal lives. I've had it for 6 years and it's not been a tenth as bad as imagined so far. Life does go on. And secondly, if you do have MS, it's a condition that can be controlled. Read about what you can do to help yourself and make those changes. If you get a different diagnosis it won't have been a waste of time because you'll be healthier and fitter. There's a few schools of thought regarding diet and MS (McDougal, Best Bet Diet etc) and lots and lots of alternative therapies. It can be a bit overwhelming to digest it all at first but this will empower you. Personally, after my research, the resource that made the most sense to me is Dr Jelinkek (based on Swank diet): http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/. It's an all round guide to the research that's out there. This book has also helped me understand how I an eat anti-inflammatory foods: http://www.amazon.com/Inflammation-Free-Diet-Plan-Monica-Reinagel/dp/0071464719. Also (as Jelinek recommends) get taking vitamin D straight away! (I'm taking 7,000 IU a day). Take care.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Meant to also say one lesion is not a lot in terms of ms. I had 2 lesions on my first episode, 2 more on my second three years later. I'm condidered to have a 'low lesion load' (though I havent had an mri in 3 years and so may have more but dont like to think about it!) I met someone with ms who told me he was getting 15 lesions with each ms attack. There are lots of conditions out there that cause lesions besides ms, including a one-off 'clinically isolated syndrome'. Bottom line is it may take some time to be diagnosed if you do have ms...just look after yourself and do all you can to help yourself...the earlier you start the better.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with all - you need to wait for the diagnosis before you'll know for sure. It could be something else and it is better to get the right diagnosis then to have them rush into the wrong one. That way the treatment may actually help you.

I would start with the walking and water exercise if you have any pain. Don't push past what your body tells you is exhaustion point. If you do have MS then your fatigue levels are a lot different then "healthy" individuals and you can push yourself into a relapse.

Stay positive and strong and help yourself by keeping a healthy lifestyle as much as you can.

Take care of yourself.
  • CA_Orchid
    CA_Orchid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info and advice. I just went ahead a bought the anti-inflammatory diet book you recommended. I was interested in trying an anti-inflammatory diet a few years ago because I was constantly getting inflammatory injuries such as chronic tendinitis. Now that there is the possibility that I have MS I think I will try changing my diet. Thanks again, Christine CA_Orchid
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Great, it's very handy how she's given each food a rating. I've never sat down and counted my rating in a day but it's helped me pick up good tips I.e. almost every day I'll squeeze in some onion, garlic (much to my boyfriend's dismay), turmeric or chilli which have very high anti-inflammatory qualities. And I buy wild salmon and never farmed (major difference). Take care.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi Christine. I was 38 when I started noticing I would run in to the walls at work when I tried to go out the door. Didn't think much of it, because "grace" has never been my middle name. Then I started to literally fall off my horse when I went to do somethng simple like adjust one of my stirrups. Hmmm...this got me to thinking something was off.

Then I woke up one morning and could not see anything out of my right eye. Ok, I thought my contacts were dirty, cleaned them and went to work. My eyesight did not get any better, so when I got home I went to the ER. They thought I had detached my retina and rushed me to an ever bigger ER for help.
    Neurological Ophthalmologist comes in and looks in my eye and tells me I have Optic Neuritis and MS, then hands me a book on MS and leaves the room.
    Ok. I admit I was in shock. No history of MS in my family. Nada.

Went through over a year of testing to get the "official" diagnoses of RR MS. Several MRI's show only a few lesions, and most of these are behind my right eye and in my spine.

All I can tell you is that even before the offical diagnoses I knew my body well enough to know there was something wrong. Keep seeking answers until you get one. Change doctors if you need to and find one that will listen to you and work with you. I finally went to the Mayo Clinic here in AZ in June of this year. Best decision I have made. Wish I had gone much sooner as I now have a new neurologist who specializes in MS and it's treatments.

Whatever they find is happening with you and your body--Keep seeking the best treatments for yoursellf and your situation, I have found through several years of navigating the health care system that it is important to be your own advocate. Don't just set back and let things happen. Get involved, ask questions, This is yout health, your life.

I was on Copaxone for almost 15 years, and I kept telling my previous neurologists that I felt the Copaxone was no longer working. Turns out I was right.

Mayo neurologist put me on Tysabri. I just had my 3rd infusion, and I am finally starting to feel better again, and resume my life with our horses.

Hang in there. Keep trying and keep asking questions. I don't think most doctors give their patients enough credit for knowing their own bodies. I know that I know mine, and I am glad I finally found a doctor who listens to me and will work wih me and not just throw pills in my direction.

I wish you all the best.
  • triciah2005
    triciah2005 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Christine,

I'm no doctor, but as someone who was recently diagnosed with MS, your symptoms sound eerily similar to someone who is having an MS attack and I too, was diagnosed with one or two lesions and only one attack under my belt. My symptoms started shortly after I had my daughter in 2011, terrible balance, weakness and numbness in my right leg, facial tingling, none of the eye problems, luckily. I started taking the first approved oral med, Gilenya , last November and I'm doing great! Can easily walk two to three miles at a time, working out 4 days a week, weight training, going to school, being a mother of two little ones...I'm not letting MS hold me back at all! I don't think about it most days, and nobody has a clue that I have it unless I tell them. This is not a death sentence, this does not mean you will be disabled or unable to do normal adl's...Talk to your doc, see about getting on some meds ( I highly recommend Gilenya, I have no side effects, no injections, no infusions, just one pill a day.) Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you!

Best of luck,

Tricia
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed for 12 years. It took 3 years for a final diangosis, insurance didn't want to pay for MS meds. When I was first told I had MS I weighed 275 pounds. My doctor didn't give me any advice regarding diet or exercise. After about a year of freaking out I decided I can't control MS, but I can control my reaction to it. I can't control my body, but I can control what I eat and if I can move I better do it because that might not always be the case. I worked with my regular doctor and she suggested water aerobics for exercise. This worked great! With diet and water aerobics I lost over 120 pounds. Then my Grandma got sick, and I got optic neuritis, then Grandma died. The weight started creeping back up. Then my Mom was diagnosed with cancer and I spent a lot of time cooking for her and my dad and the weight continued to creep up. Then she went in the hospital and there was no more exercising and diet was hospital food for almost 6 months. Which is NOT as healty as you might think!! Then Mom died and I didn't care about diet and exercise at all. In total gained back 60 pounds. I am lucky with MS, I'm remitting relapsing and mostly remitting. I live a normal life, and most co-workers do not know I have MS. I am no longer close to a gym that has a water aerobics class at a rate I can afford so I am back to walking. I just do it when it's cool. Otherwise I'm too wore out for much else. Good luck on your journey. Keep a positive attitude, I can't stress this enough. You are not alone. :)