Is 115 carbs a day too many ?

Options
That's what my macros are. Just wondering how many do you have in a day ?

Replies

• kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine are set for 105 in a day, and I very rarely hit that. I usually go over in fat, and don't quite hit my protein or carbs...maybe that means I should be adjusting my macros to increase my fat, but I don't sweat it too much as long as I don't go over on carbs since I'm diabetic.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing.

I'd venture that erring on the side of less carbs would work better for you if you have been more of a carb consumer in the past.

I see the main aim initially being to help the metabolism to normalise and want to burn fat/ketones as the primary fuel, not glucose.

If you were involved with intense exercise then you could probably be a bit more liberal with carbs. If it was low intensity stuff (i.e. walking, my main form of exercise) then I wouldn't bother adding much carbohydrate.

I started on 30g and moved onto 50g, there doesn't seem to be much difference fat-loss wise for me. Maybe I could consume more as I am close to my ideal but my energy is good and I enjoy what I eat now so there doesn't seem to be much point. :)

I see the carbs that I eat (mostly from veggies) as incidental to my energy needs, I eat the carb-containing foods for their other benefits.

I also find the less refined carbs I eat, the less I crave and this is a massive plus for me.

What did help kick things along for me was moderating the protein and upping the fat.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i ususally fall between 40-50 net
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    20g on a very strict day 120g on a very bad day that falls on a workout day
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Under 50g ... usually closer to 30 daily.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wow ! You guys are good ! Thanks for your replies. I was sure after I posted that someone was going to rip me a new one so thanks!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Wow ! You guys are good ! Thanks for your replies. I was sure after I posted that someone was going to rip me a new one so thanks!

Hello & welcome :o)

We have members on here who have 20g a day, we have people on 120g a day. It is all about trial & error and finding out what is right for you. There is no one *correct* low carb diet, this is not exclusively an atkins group & all low carbers welcome. No-one should be ripping anyone a new one here, and if they do they will no longer be welcome. So you are safe :o)

Feel free to ask questions, take a look at the newbie FAQ sticky thread at the top of the forum- there are loooooads of useful links.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it took everything I had to net under 100 because I had been such a carb-lover. I ate carbs at almost every meal. I have been working on it the past week and I am happy to say that today will be my first day under 40! :) That is a HUGE improvement for me! It's really difficult at first, but if you can push yourself, you can do it. If I eat all the food I planned out for today, it will 33 carbs. I just can't give up my apple and peanut butter after workouts! Tomorrow I am going to try for under 30 and see how I do. You may struggle at first, like I did, but if you really want to go low-carb, you can do it! :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I am actively LC I shoot for 20. Under 40 is a decent day, over 100 is a failure for me. I am not a slave to it anymore though.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! About how many calories a day do you all shoot for ? I've spent the summer doing "eat more to weigh less". Mmm, now I'm up 10 lbs after doing a metabOlism reset, so now I need to lose 35 instead of 25! But I did low carb for a Lind time but then would end up bingeing on carbs, so I thought a reset was the way to go, obviously not. So I'm going to try to shoot for 100 carbs & cut by 10 each week- til I find the sweet spot...so I think I have a plan.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat between 100-135 a day. I have lost 31 pounds. That is what works for me.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also remember that the "quality" of the carbs you consume in a day matters. You could eat 2 whole Hershey bars and no other carbs in a day and still only have consumed 50g of carbs. But you would have one heeeeeecckkkk of a bloodsugar spike!

You could eat bananas and oranges and get a heck of a bloodsugar spike, or have strawberries with virtually no effect.

If you have 120g of carbs from low-glycemic sources, spread out throughout the day, and you're able to lose weight then that's what works for you. If you have that many and you're not losing weight then you might be eating the wrong carbs, or you might just need to lower.

Everyone is different when it comes to the total, but for everyone the "type" does make a difference.
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    20g on a very strict day 120g on a very bad day that falls on a workout day

THIS!! However I do more around 30-40 on a normal day. Today I am nursing a hangover so I am way over on my carbs thanks to del taco... :sad:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I come in under a 100 a day. It works for me. I don't call my eating style low carb I call it lower carb. : )
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I try to come in at about 75 net grams of carbs a day. I find having a small protein with my snack in between my meals helps alot. Before I snarted low carbing I could not lose an once. I'm not kidding. I even did weight watchers faithfully for 6 months nothing. I left in tears. This is the only thing that works for me.
  • missismonty
    missismonty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive just started back on the low carb route, it works better for weight loss but for bloating too!
    I sit around the 40 grams mark but try and avoid sugar so that I dont get the energy highs and lows.
    I need to remind myself not to fall into the high sugar low calorie products that are everywhere! A small piece of cheese and slice of ham works WAAAAY better!
    Good luck x
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I try to come in at about 75 net grams of carbs a day. I find having a small protein with my snack in between my meals helps alot. Before I snarted low carbing I could not lose an once. I'm not kidding. I even did weight watchers faithfully for 6 months nothing. I left in tears. This is the only thing that works for me.

It sounds like you were insulin resistant (a result of repeated exposure to excess carbohydrate, typical if you try to diet according to the popular advice and avoid fats), low(er) carbing works particularly well for this.

More reason to focus on helping the metabolism first then worry about calories :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Hi Ive just started back on the low carb route, it works better for weight loss but for bloating too!
    I sit around the 40 grams mark but try and avoid sugar so that I dont get the energy highs and lows.
    I need to remind myself not to fall into the high sugar low calorie products that are everywhere! A small piece of cheese and slice of ham works WAAAAY better!
    Good luck x

Indeed, nutrient-dense food is the way to go, not food-like product.

If I eat a hard-boiled egg (which I do often) it isn't calories, it is just good fuel.
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find 65-75 grams of carbs a day suits me, I work at 25% carbs, 45% protein and 30% fat, I have found this eases my IBS and bloating. Leaving milk out of tea and coffee helps bloating also. What works for you is best, especially if you are losing weight.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Mine is set for about 80 - which is what I feel comfortable with based on what i eat on a daily basis as I usually have a piece of fruit a day (lower sugar/carb) and tend to like the higher sugar veggies (carrots, red peppers) and some greek yogurt...every few months I do a strict to sort of shake up my system a bit and then I try and keep it to under 50/day (usually by cutting the fruit and small amount of dairy I do have)