Sharing a bit of my journey over the last 2 months.

Options
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share with you all my journey as the subject says.. I hope this will inspire others a little and if I do I know I have helped in some small way... I still have a long way to go and yes I am sure there are going to be times when I fall as I am only human like the rest of us. I am not one to share much but have found the support here amazing and feel at home so to speak. I have been watching the board on here and have found some fantastic advice and I will be eternally grateful to you all that have shared and I know I am not alone in my battle..

I have only in the last couple of weeks found that my T2 is actually genetic. When I found this out I cried bucket's of tears because before I found out this I thought I had done something wrong I knew I was a little over weight and the doctor kept telling me that it not only larger people get it skinny people got it as well and I did my research and of course it was true, I then stopped blaming myself and as I said once I found out some family history it was such a relief.

I knew I was loosing weight on early May before I was diagnosed but just put it down to the stresses in my life (my son has 2 chronic illnesses) and kept going till July when I started to get light headed and of course I though I needed to eat more or my blood pressure was playing up so he looked at me and said my BP was fine and nothing to worry about but he wanted to check for diabetes I looked at him and of course I said no way your not testing me and before I knew it the nurse came in and I was having my BGL tested on this little machine. The nurse looked at him and he looked at this little contraption and went a little pale and said my my reading was 10.. I almost fell of the chair he then said he needed blood tests to confirm I had it... 3 days later I got the courage up and went to have my bloods done and have a fasting Glucose test. Before I had my bloods done the nurse use this small machine and she said I am in no way going to give you the glucose test as your levels are at 15 and rang my doctor on the spot. The following day It was confirmed I had T2. I was flooded with information from the doctor and then was told I had an appointment with the dietitian (who was no help to me at all). I have had to do it basically all on my own as I can't get into the diabetic educator until the 3rd of October.. But that's ok.

I have just been watching what I eat and very little carbs.. I find if I have more than 60-70 carbs a day my levels spike and no sugar or very little, and no processed food has helped me as well I loved my Cabana, Strasbourg, salami etc.. Also I use My Fitness Pal and use the food diary it's worked a treat. Also for me I use to be a huge Coke drinker (you could say I was a little addicted to it :embarassed: ) and when I found out I had T2 I walked out of the doctors came home and emptied the bottles into the sink and haven't touched it since I think that has a lot to do with my weight loss as well... I also have a very supportive family- My son keeps saying to me.. Mum not vegies AGAIN!!! but he really is so understanding and every time I test myself it's like a party between the 2 of us his so happy for me and my daughter doesn't say much but I can tell she is very proud of her mum so all in all I am not only doing this for me I am doing this for my kids because they mean more to me than anything.. My mum and dad are also very supportive.. support is very important.. All up I have lost around 25kg's and still loosing (I dont know how much that is in pounds) My BGL have come down dramatically I am now between 5 and a little over 7 so I am one happy person. I am on 2x500 Metforman at night at the moment and I hope in the not to distant future I will be able to come of them slowly but I am not holding my breath as anything can happen in the future as we know diabetes has a mind of it own.

I am sorry this is a little long but I hope this helps others in some small way.. Please never give up and keep going it is so worth it and you will learn to love life like I do now..

If you would like to add me as a friend your more than welcome.. We need to stick together and get through this together..

Sending hugs to you all.. Your all such an inspiration to me :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Scientists are doing more and more to debunk the "you got T2 because you are fat" thing. It appears that insulin resistance causes weight gain so T2s tend to gain weight once they become resistant. So actually, the diabetes causes weight gain. So see, it was never your fault. They also have done studies in which they have found that there are many obese people who never become T2 and many T2s who aren't obese.

You have done an amazing job at losing weight and getting your A1C down. You should be proud of yourself. Also, don't feel bad if you never get off meds. I was never obese and was very active when diagnosed at 34 and I have never been off meds. The older I get the more meds I'm on yet I actually weigh less now than when I got married as a teen. I'm also more active. While I'm sure I'd be on more meds if I didn't take care of myself I will never get off them.

25 Kg = 55 lbs.

It is wonderful that your children and parents are supportive. I know it makes a huge difference. T2 runs in my family on both sides so my parents have always been wonderful. My kids are too. Sadly, they both are already having problems with hypoglycemia which is often a precursor to T2. They are both in their early 20s. It is also nice to have the support of friends here on MFP. This board and my friends are supportive in so much of what I do in life and I don't know what I would do without them.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I was just diagnosed with T2 last month. I have been told over the past 20 years, you are probably diebetic,then they tested me and my numbers didn't suport that. Well this time,bingo it was true. I relate to how you feel about knowing it isn't just "fat" people that have it. My father and grandmother were both T2 and they were fat people. Beutiful people but,round :) Knowing it is genentic takes some of the quilt for letting this happen to myself,and it also explains alot about my weight loss struggles. I am 56 and have tried litterally every diet and drug that came around,I would lose very slowly and then rapicly regain it. Now that we know about insulin resistance that explains so much.It all makes sense now.
    The whole genentic thing makes me sad too,for my kids. They are all adults and are all on the chunkier side. My daughter is beutiful but has fought her weight for ever. My sons are big and husky,and very active,but I can see the belly developing. So I am advising them the best I can, we all have our own path,but I hate to see them struggle with health issues down the road.
    Congratulations on your success .:happy:
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies.. :flowerforyou:
  • kmposey72
    kmposey72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Shell,

Thanks for sharing your journey, it is truly awesome and inspiring. I am proud of you, you have accomplished a great bit in a little bit of time. I have been diabetic for over 10 years and just recently decided that I could not ignore it any longer. My physical health just took a nose dive and gave me a little scare. I have found that living with diabetes has changed drastically in just the last 10 years with more resources and support out there. I have told my Doctors to approach me as if I was just diagnosed. I am T2 but taking insulin shots and metformin daily. I have used my insulin as a crutch to eat what ever I want. My body decided that this was not going to happen, giving me high BG's when I had taken a shot to cover and then I would bottom out later. It wreaked, is wreaking, havoc on my body. Why do I tell you this, I want you to stay strong and not give up. Just making a few changes in my life has made a huge improvement in my health in just a couple of weeks. I am not looking at what I eat as dieting now, it is a lifestyle. My life has changed.... Sorry... I got off of you and onto me there for a moment :).

Please share what you learn from your diabetic classes.... I am scheduled to go to one on Oct 10..... It is information overload at times but I would rather have too much info than not enough... Thanks again, I look forward to talking with you more :bigsmile:
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Shell, you have done a phenomenal job so far. You should be very proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    Thanks to you both :flowerforyou:
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    kmposey72, Please never be sorry as I said we are all in this together and you sharing with me and others helps so much.. I really appreciate it.

Hugs :happy: