Question about Modified Moves.....

Options
kvalmera
kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
Well the first time I tried the 30 Day Shred, I was at work (I am a member of our Wellness Committee) and it was in a conference room, very sturdy. Well our house is much older and I realized I cannot do the jumping jacks as it rattles the windows!!! lolol Isn't that horrible that I am so fat I rattle the windows??? Okay, shutting a door too hard does the same thing lol but still.....I did make it through, had to stop for my 5 second breather about 4-5 times but I made it through and it seem easier this time - NOT EASY, just easier..... I still work up a huge sweat and was breathing profusely!!

Okay so my question, in place of the jumping jacks, I ran in place whaling my arms around like jumping jacks. Would that give the same results??? To be honest, it also felt less jarring on my knee (which I injured earlier this year).

Replies

• toughlovexx3
    Options
    that sounds good to me lol cause i know for a fact i wont be able to jumping jacks. my boobs get in the way and it feels like they are lunging at my face.
  • jaguirre8898
    Options
    I would say try your very best to do the jumping jacks I know how it is to have a knee problem i usually have to wear a brace but if you absolutely can't do them at first then make sure that while your running in place that your bringing your knees up high enough to keep your heart rate elevated doing this will help you make up the difference of not doing the jumping jacks. Theirs a reason she says in the video that their is no modified version of the jumping jacks and its because it really benefits you to do them. So make it a goal that you can build up to if you can't do them at first.
  • kvalmera
    Options
    I just searched the two on here under the exercise database and it says jogging in place and "vigorous" jumping jacks burn the same amount of calories (for me, 1 min would be 18 calories for either one) so it seems you would have to put more emphasis on the jumping jacks to equate jogging in place.

And it's not that I cannot do them, I did them the first time (yes it was stressful on my knee) but my main reason is because the house is old and shakes/rattles the windows when I do them. Even the dogs running down the hall rattles them, or someone closing the front/back door, it's just an old house. The jogging in place doesn't rattle them.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    that sounds good to me lol cause i know for a fact i wont be able to jumping jacks. my boobs get in the way and it feels like they are lunging at my face.

Hahahaa.... I have the same experience when doing most physical activity. Quite an annoyance.
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    Ok, I cannot do a push up to save my life.. even the modified ones... any suggestions? I did about 13 of the 20 mins this morning and feel like jello
  • smittenkitten4
    Options
    Do you have an exercise ball? I rest my feet on my ball when I'm at home and the different angle makes the pain in my legs go away but I still feel the work in my arms. It's probably even more of a modification than just going to my knees but it's what works for me.
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    Do you have an exercise ball? I rest my feet on my ball when I'm at home and the different angle makes the pain in my legs go away but I still feel the work in my arms. It's probably even more of a modification than just going to my knees but it's what works for me.

No I don't, but I could use the stool or something, just to take the strain off my knees!!! Thanks!
  • kvalmera
    Options
    No I don't, but I could use the stool or something, just to take the strain off my knees!!! Thanks!

I hear you!! The first time I did it, my back hurt. It hurt this time but not as much, but my knees were totally feeling it last night... hurting today pretty bad and one has just recovered from an injury so I dont want to re-injure it.