Biotin Anyone?

Options
miss_erynn
miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
I am experiencing the side effect of surgery.......hair loss! However, it's not drastic, but I am noticing how much thinner it has become, bald spots, breakage. I stopped colouring my hair after surgery and have it cut short (too short for me - chin length :I).

I want to try and grow it fast now, and strengthen it. Anyone had any experiences with Biotin? Pharmacist, nurse and hairdresser has told me to take it. But due to our malabsorption, I'm wondering...is it worth it?

I bought the Nature's Bountry brand, 1000mcg daily.

I also take a prenatal multivitamin, iron and calcium citrate with D3 supplement, B12 and additional D3 vitamins daily....

thoughts? suggestions?

Replies

• VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I am taking 5000 mcg of Biotin. I'm losing hair, but it will eventually stop. I hope! Good luck!
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My sister had the gastric bypass 3+ yrs ago and also told me to take it. So far I haven't experienced any hair loss but that could just be that my hair is so short to begin with. I meant to ask the Dr last week but forgot. I don't like to take anything extra till I run it by him or the dietitian.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My hair is falling out at an alarming rate, so I hope the Biotin I started taking a couple of weeks ago works! I don't know what else to do.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I lost TONS of hair from months 3-7. By month 9 I could see lots of tiny regrowth. I took it, but am not sure if it really helped. I also used that Nioxin shampoo. My hair is as thick as it ever was now. Do not panic!! : )
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I lost handfuls of hair for about 2 months, I'm told it was a hormone dump from my shrinking fat cells that did it. I have noticed that it has slowed down and I've got tons of short stubby new growth that gives me hope. I will try the Biotin too, seems like it can't hurt at this point. I'll let you know if and when I start seeing any results.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yes I take biotin every morning. I take 5000mcg and it is in a tablet that dissolves under your tongue. I ordered them online. I am almost 6 months out now and my hair loss started around the 3 month mark. It was pretty heavy for the last couple of months, but seems to be slacking off a bit now. The biotin wont keep it from falling out, but it will encourage new growth. I have a lot of new growth all over. Bad thing is,,,,,they are these short, straight hairs that kind of stick up all over the place..but hey....its hair...I will take it. I am also using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, and I use a keratin infused leave-in conditioner also. I want to protect the hair I have left as much as possible!

One bad thing about taking biotin....it encourages hair growth...everywhere! I have to shave my legs more frequently, my eyebrows get crazy if I dont keep them in check, and we wont even discuss the 2 inch long hair I found growing someplace it shouldnt be growing while I was in the shower the other day.....
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Biotin since pre op. I have noticed the last two months loosing more hair when I shower. I am 13 weeks post op from sleeve surgery. I talked to my hairdresser about this and she suggested using Grund Pro Design ReviveTH Thinning Hair Shampoo and Conditioner and ReviveTH Thinning Hair Treatment in a spray bottle. It is kinda pricey. Since I color my hair she told me to use it only once a week the shampoo and conditioner and hair treatment to use daily 3 times a day. It is made of natural products vs. the Nioxin that is chemically based. I asked my hairdresser this last time I had a haircut if she noticed any difference from what my hair used to look like and she had a tool she could measure it and said she did see some hair loss.

It is mainly from not getting enough protein and really after WLS there isn't much you can do about it. It will happen to most people but it will grow back is what my nut. told me.

Good luck!
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Well, I just started the biotin, so I'm hoping it helps with growth, not so much to "protect" the hair I have there already. That's already been damaged enough by my constant need for change and dying it and styling it.

At the advice of a hair dresser, I use the L'oreal Kerastase line and my hair feels great. Once a week, I use an egg yolk and olive oil hair mask, as they are both good proteins for the scalp.

I also only shampoo and condition my hair every other day and blowdry it and straighten it every other day. Lately, I've been shampoo and styling every 2 days and this actually seems to be helping.

I'm 6 months out as of this Sunday and my 6 month weigh-in is on Monday morning, so wish me luck!!! :)
  • meldins0831
    Options
    I will be 4 years out on October 13th. My hair was falling out like crazy!! I love having long hair too and the fact that I couldn't wear it long drove me crazy! The only thing that helped me is changing my multi vitamin. I now take a liquid vitamin. It's called Source of Life in a yellow bottle. That stuff is so awesome! It gives you tons of energy and my hair is looking so good now. It's gotten long again :) The only down side to it is it tastes aweful. But I've taken it for a little over 2 years now and I love the results!
  • Christopher4WeightLoss
    Options
    I take 1 tablet of Biotin 10,000mcg in the mornings. I have done this since the first week of post-op. Its been 9 weeks so far, no hair issues. I shave my down pretty tight when I cut it, so I guess I wouldn't be too upset if I had some temporary loss.:smile:
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The hairloss is mre likely due to not enough protein in your diet. I try to get a minimum of 60g of protein daily, better if I can get 75-90. That has been my goal all along, no noticable hair loss... and with adding the exercise I'm giving a good scrub on a regular basis. If increasing your protein doesn't help (and you'd have to give it at least a couple of weeks), see your hairdresser, let him/her know about the surgery... they may have something to offer! Good Luck.

(The book I read referred to hair loss as the "Build Your Own Cat Kit"... )
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    I get 60-80g of protein every day.
    Best friend is a hairdresser.
    I don't absorb my vitamins at all.

I am TRYING biotin on the advice of my hairdresser, like my original post SAYS.

I was asking advice for people who have taken or are taking it, not what may be causing the loss.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i'm taking 2 5000mcg tablets every morning of the biotin. yeah it was very much scary that it was coming out at such an alarming rate, but it's just hair and a small price to pay for this wonderful journey.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    since I started the biotin, Ive gotten terrible infected pimples................................. it's gross. everything has been a deterrent :(