gall bladder surgery in two days

Options
calicat40
calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
I am on day two of my liquid per op diet for gall bladder removal. I have gall stones and am happy to be rid of the offensive organ. Even soup is making me sick. Why did my gall bladder go bad? Don't know. Could be a number of factors. Years of overweight, the lap band, the hormone pills, the spicey foods I love. Your guess is as good as mine. Just glad to have it out.

Anyone else have theirs out and if so what kind of diet are you on afterwards? i keep hearing horror stories, so please, please do not post your horror story. i don't need more of those. I need good advice for a good no nonsense diet to follow afterward. I miss my salsa and spicey foods and am afraid I won't be able to have them again. And I miss coffee, so miss my coffee.

Replies

• Wellypeep
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out 9 years ago, having lost 6 stone in weight through dieting!! I can say, although I had a slight complication and ended up staying 2 nights instead of 1, it was a easy procedure and I stopped having the horrible indigestion and constant pain that had blighted my days and nights for months within a couple of days. I haven't had any problems with tolerating any kind of food and all my symptoms resolved. Good luck with your surgery, you will soon be feeling a lot better!!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had to have my gall bladder removed 3 months after my RNY. The surgery itself was not bad. I checked in that morning, they took it out...woke me up in recovery, sent me to the potty and sent me home. I still pretty much eat about the same, i only notice an issue when I eat something a little too fatty. I try to avoid fatty food anyways so it isnt that much of a big deal to me really. I was just glad to have the silly thing out! Best of luck!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is apparently somewhat common in post surgical weightloss patients... so don't worry too much about it. And as someone else said it is usually fatty foods that will give you problems
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I have a number of friends who had RNY and with in 6 months they all had theirs removed. you will be so much better with it gone and just slowly start trying out the things that have been a problem to you and that dang GB.

I had mine removed 35 years ago
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 33 years ago while I was pregnant with twins! Before the days of laparoscopic surgery. I was unable to eat much of anything before I had the surgery, so afterward was a relief. Have been able to eat normally since the surgery--my restrictions are fried foods, especially deep fat fried foods and gravy. Good luck with the surgery--walk lots afterward!
  • calicat40
    Options
    thank you all so much, i appreciate your feedback. Not sure what a stone is in weight but I've lost 15 pounds so far in three weeks since my attack. I plan on staying on liquid for a bit longer just to be safe and then go with mushies and gradually get back to solids. definately staying with my protein shakes every day, something I had let fall by the wayside over the last two years. tomorrow is the big day and I am going to be glad to be rid of this thing.
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    Hope it goes really well for you. Good luck!

And a stone is 14lbs, so I had lost 84lbs and that was what bought on the mega gallstone attack!!
  • calicat40
    Options
    all went well with the surgery. I had over 40 stones and gallbladder the size of a lemon. I feel better already. Surgeon was impressed with the size and count of stones. lol Got to have solid food today.. It is wonderful.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    glad you made it and are on the road to recovery.
  • calicat40
    Options
    took a full 10 days to recover. This one was more difficult than the band and my other surgeries. Of course I had a lot of stones and my gall bladder was the size of a lemon apparently so he had to cut me open a bit. But if you ever have to have this expect a full 10 days for recovery and stay on the pain meds!