Hard time with food going down

Options
I had my realize band done in June, and haven't had a fill yet, and I have the hardest time getting things down sometimes. I feel like I am chewing enough, so I am wondering if I should avoid the items that give me issue? Most of the things I have issue with are breads (no wonder seeing that many other people have issues too), but also dry chicken and ground beef. The pain of it getting stuck is just terrible...I'm sure others have gone through this at one point or another. Advice?

Replies

• MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow, No restriction yet and having problems getting things down.... Well I have heard that some people don't ever need a fill...
    Bread for me is a thing that sometimes I can tolerate and other day's I can not at all. The band has a mind of it's own. Some day's it is tighter than others... I wish it would be a constant thing, but unfortunately it hasn't worked that way for me.
    I am at the point in my fills where I can't get anymore fluid in it without not being able to eat anything but chips... I had bad acid coming up my throat to when it was to tight. So I went for a slight unfil and back to where I was before that last fill and it's still the same issue for me, some days it works, some day's it don't and I have to depend on myself not to over eat even though I am hungry. I would talk to your dr about not even being able to eat chewed meat's though.. That is not a good thing at all... Maybe try something that has more juice to it and not dried out! And drink your protein shakes! Even stress can make the band tighter and also upon waking up in the morning. I guess I would be a bit worried since you don't even have a fill in your band and you are about 3 months out.. You should be eating meat without issues... I would call and talk to your Dr. I don't know what they could suggest since they can't take any fluid out because you don't have any...
  • suegmune
    Options
    Oh jesus. Stress makes it worse? I'm so screwed. LOL.

Actually I heard someone say that humidity affects their band. I thought that was odd!!!!

I too have the issue with bread off and on.

I should re-buy some protein for shakes -- I just ran out. I thought I'd be done with them. Perhaps not :) Thanks for your input!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    it's not humidity is barometric pressure which might help explain why the band is affected. I have the RNY but I have some friends with the band and they all complain about bread but I'd guess that's because unless you chew it to a liquid the consistency of applesauce, bread tends to swell in the stomach. I would say if you have trouble with a food, avoid it and try it again weeks later to see if anything has changed.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve but was told Bread would not be my friend post op and that is good cause it was too good a friend before surgery! LOL! Thin toasted bread works best is what my nut and surgeon told me. I have only tried 1/2 of a 1/2 of those thin bagels toasted with some peanut butter on it and I did ok. Dry meats can cause problems too. I did eat 1/2 of a grilled chicken breast a couple weeks ago for dinner and was concerned about it but I just took small bites and ate very slowly and didn't have any issues. Ground Turkey and Ground beef has been ok for me. I am three months post op.
  • Mrbusterb
    Options
    Just try to stay away from the foods that are giving you problem until you are able to handle them
  • papegirl72
    Options
    Yes I have had those same issues. I try to avoid bread all together unless it is toast. Pork was hard for me to eat so instead of chewing 40 times, I pass it up an opt for baked chicken or fish. It is hard with beef at times and I really have to chew well. It will take some adjusting to them, but I am like the rest, just avoid them for now. As for protein shakes, I am two years into lapband and I still drink shakes. You will always have your good days and bad days but the band is so worth it.
  • PaBirdie1
    Options
    Most of the time, I avoid bread all together. If I do happen to have a little, I will take a small bite in between other foods. Ate a bread stick once at Olive Garden while waiting for our meal and spent the rest of the evening leaving the table to throw up. Ended up taking my meal home because the pain and throwing up stopped me dead in my tracks. I have found that most meats are tolerable if I take tiny bites, chew well and take bites of other food in between. Unfortunately, you will have days where you can eat almost anything and then days where the foods you normally dont have a problem with wont go down either.
  • suegmune
    Options
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I only hoped that the pain and discomfort that bread usually gives me would make me stop trying it. No such luck so far. Will I ever learn? :)

I have bad days and good days too. Some days I can eat anything, others not.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I eat bread, pasta, or rice, I feel like I'm filled up all the way to the back of my throat, and I'm miserable for hours. It turns out that nothing I crave tastes good enough to tolerate that discomfort. I have wound up having only the tiniest of bites of those items WITH other foods.
    Also, meat gags me unless it's very moist no matter what kind.
    Hope you find your own "happy eating" list soon. :)
  • KSCarnivore
    Options
    Banded 6/28/12. One fill and holding. On my last trip to the surgeon, we decided not to fill or unfill but for me to work on behavior modification. I am having satisfactory restriction but must acknowledge that when I'm stuck it's often a matter of my habits. I am the mother of a 3 year old and have learned that I must not multi-task while eating because then I don't take small enough bites. I must chew more thoroughly and slow down.

I get stuck with dry breads, dry meats / steaks / larger cuts. Even flaky fish like tilapia can cause me problems. I eat a lot of fresh salsa now to keep my food moist which helps a lot. Overall, my tastes are changing and I now prefer to eat fat free Greek yogurt, The Zone protein bars and Lean Cuisine meals. These are foods that I can consistently tolerate. I've figured out that I really shouldn't eat sandwiches or foods that I bite off in chunks, because my bites are too big.

I haven't been stuck for two weeks and think that when I go back to the surgeon I'll be ready for a bit more fill. Having food stuck is horrible, but isn't necessarily an indicator that you are overfilled.
  • Barbmillions
    Barbmillions Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a 4th fill on Friday - I am experiecing a tough time with non-strained food and gurgling rumbling in my chest. Prior to that I experienced problems with dry chicken and beef but can manage meatballs and beef patties that aren't overcooked or have sauce. I haven't had issues with pork.