Yes, Jillian Michaels is gay: The quiet coming out

Options
2»

Replies

• JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Why does the world need to know what she does sexually?

We *don't* know "what she does sexually." Knowing someone is married to a person of the opposite gender does not tell us "what they do sexually," only that they're straight. I have no clue what any given gay person is into sexually any more than I know what any given straight person is into sexually. Or are you suggesting that all peoples' marital statuses should also be top secret?
  • andie2013
    Options
    I didn't know either. However, I'm not surprised at all. Regardless of her orientation, it won't change my opinion (or lack thereof) of her.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Visibility is always good. Not everyone lives in a gayborhood. Familiarity decreases fear, and that in turn changes attitudes. Even if you're "out" you find yourself coming out over and over just by telling coworkers what you did that weekend or even correcting a pronoun.

Yes, visibility is what will add normalcy to our being. I tend to forget that some people don't view us as just any happy middle aged couple. Every now and then say, a dinner party, something is said that knocks you back into reality. "Oh, they still think we're different".

When our kids were in their teens the mum of one of their friends came 'out'. That was great because, finally, they weren't the only ones with a gay parent.

Now, we're the only gay grandparents we know of. Our grandchildren (who are three, two and one) of course don't think it is 'odd' to be climbing into bed with two nanas in the morning when they come to stay. I sincerely hope that as they grow older nobody will tell them that it is.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    As to SFBarbear: Being out (when one is ready to be) is important because being LGBT+ is more than what we do sexually. It's an essential part of our identity. And it is one part of our identity that is not obvious (good gaydar not withstanding). It's important to be visible and out celebrities help in that visibility.

Why? Why do people need to know our idenity completely. Being a member of the communityis a tiny fraction of who I am and really isn't at the core of my life. I don't own a single rainbow anything, triangle, bear flag, leather flag anything of that notion. Yet I work in the gayest district in the United States and haven't set foot in a bar in over 2 years. Why? Because it really is not an "essential" part of who I am and I'm perfectly fine with it not being obvious to anyone. It simply isn't anybody's business. I'm sure people like Jillian would broadly advertise their identity if they felt it was anyone's business.

While systematic discrimination against us continues, it's important for lots of us (especially queer youth) to understand that they're not alone. If it really wasn't a big deal, there'd be no need for anyone to know, but people do make it a big deal even when it shouldn't be.

Thank you for making my point Evan

Baha. Its a big deal only when you think they are hot!
  • notebooksecrets
    notebooksecrets Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a massive shame that being 'out' in the public domaine is so important, but it is. Queer folk, particularly but not just youth, suffer discrimination and prejudice in so many areas of their lives, some more than others depending on circumstances, and it is so, so important for them to be able to see examples of other LGBT people who are leading 'happy,' 'successful' lives. And being LGBT, for many people *is* a massive part of their identity - I know it is for me because I spend a lot of time campaigning and being activisty, so to see a woman who is finally able to be open and confident about their sexuality in front of the world is absolutely fantastic progress. Gay pride comes from the amount of shame that LGBT people have been made to feel just because of who they are, and we should be bloody proud when people kick this shame and this stigma and this prejudice in the butt just by saying 'this is me, and I don't care who knows.' Just my two cents.

Plus, Jillian Michaels is hot.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the hotness. I fancy the pants off Jillian, and the thought that she might have relationships with women brought my feeble little fantasies a little closer to reality. Now I know she's 'taken', I'm not so interested in her sexuality :laugh: (although, I, also, am 'taken', and by a man, in fantasies that doesn't really matter :tongue: ).
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A lot of the discrimination that the LGBT community receives stems from ignorance. First we have to get people to realize that were here and not all waving a flag in a parade. Also, it's important to us for the same reason that we have a LGBT specific group on MFP. My sexual orientation has nothing to do with my weight loss. I just like you guys.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I think things like this do a lot to advance gay rights since they expand the limits of how LGBT+ people are seen.
    Featherweight Orlando Cruz, a 2000 Puerto Rican Olympian and a fringe contender as a professional fighter, has done something unusual in boxing, or in any professional sport: He publicly announced he is gay.

Cruz, 31, the first openly gay fighter, released a statement on Wednesday calling himself a "proud gay man."

"I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself," Cruz said. "I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career. I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8460484/puerto-rican-featherweight-orlando-cruz-proudly-gay

Orlando+Fenomeno+Cruz+.JPG

We are everywhere and do everything. "Boxer" is not a stereotypical gay profession and I think it's great that Cruz is letting gay kids know that not all gay men are florists and hairdressers. (Not that there is anything wrong with florists and hairdressers.)
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the hotness. I fancy the pants off Jillian, and the thought that she might have relationships with women brought my feeble little fantasies a little closer to reality. Now I know she's 'taken', I'm not so interested in her sexuality :laugh: (although, I, also, am 'taken', and by a man, in fantasies that doesn't really matter :tongue: ).

Hahaha my thoughts exactly!
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I *knew* there was a reason why I :heart: her so much! Too bad she's already married...
  • make_it_matter
    Options
    That's great for you, but there are people who identify more with that aspect of their lives. I am sure you have communities you are strongly associated with, right? If so, good for you, and hopefully others respect that about you. Do it it too.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't understand out communities need to point out what are sexual identity is and then make it public knowledge. Just be a strong, positive, individual that runs a fiercely successful fitness empire. Isn't that enough? Why does the world need to know what she does sexually? That is what it boils down to.

You still don't know what she does sexually...she didn't tell you, its none of your business. But a person's gender and affectional orientation is part of one's whole life...every day. Being a lesbian colors my whole view of the world, and its view of me. That's why it matters.
  • sjiphone
    sjiphone Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Woohoo - Go Jilliian!!!