5'8.5 goal weight?

Options
lacaro1
lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
hey you girls:)
I am about 5' 8.5 and currently at about 131 pounds (59.5 kg). what is your goal weight and how do you plan on reaching it? I find it very difficult to lose weight although I eat really healthily and am, because of the calculations on MFP, consuming only between 1300 and 1700 depending on whether I exercise or not (instead of losing I am even gaining!!:(
Some advice would be awesome!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    At 5'8 you are already at the low end of healthy weight. Are you trying to lose weight and what is your goal? What prompted you to join MFP, maybe you are looking to be healthier or tone up??
  • jgjansma
    jgjansma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm 5'8.5 and my goal weight is in the 140-145 range..which is pretty much in the middle of the healthy bmi weight range..I have just been eating healthy (or trying to haha) and running and occasionally lifting..I personally have never weighed that little in my adult life (I'm 165ish now) so I have no idea what my body will look like at that weight..I don't think that the scale matters as much as body composition and how you look and feel (:
  • scpdxb
    scpdxb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 134lbs... I am actually below my 'goal weight' but above my BF% - it's 25% and I want it down to around 20. I am throwing the scales out - I don't think they help much :/

I don't think you need to lose any weight but if you want to change your body like I do i.e. stop being 'skinny fat' then eat more protein and start lifting weights - get yourself a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women! Good luck xx
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl! I would try to tone up and stay roughly around the same weight for your height. I have lost 16 lbs since May 1st and just trying to tone more and keep it off. I have NEVER been this "thin" and it's hard to stay at this weight (due to older and kids, did alot to the body!) but just eating lower calories and a "cheat" snack (not whole cheat day, thats too overboard) will be fine for you.

Hang in there and I'll be your cheerleader!
  • mjperreault
    mjperreault Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'8, close to 5'9, weighing 120 right now but looking to gain weight through muscle building. I lost weight very quickly and I look "skinny fat". Muscle weighs more than fat so I am looking to bulk up about 10 lbs.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We're exactly the same! I'm 5'9" and 131lbs, my goal weight is 125. A little on the skinny side I know, I'm honestly not that worried about the weight number I really just want to tone up & lose a few inches at my waist. I'm also in the 'skinny fat' boat, I've always been thin but never muscular or athletic.
  • mjperreault
    Options
    @tattedchic

130lbs is probably the perfect weight for being 5'9, if you tone and build muscle you will probably be in the same weight range but you will look way more athletic. I'm finding it so hard to build muscle after I lost weight
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @tattedchic

130lbs is probably the perfect weight for being 5'9, if you tone and build muscle you will probably be in the same weight range but you will look way more athletic. I'm finding it so hard to build muscle after I lost weight

I would doubt this statement because I'm 135 and only 5' 6" and typically wear a size 2. I'm very athletic and strong, but can't drop below 130 before people start commenting that I have an eating disorder (which I don't, I eat all the time). So I have a hard time believing that a woman 3 inches taller could weigh less and still look healthy. That brings me to my next point....

It's best to find the right weight for YOUR body rather than trying to compare to others. There is no "perfect" weight for every height, that why we have ranges. Everyone has a different fat/muscle ratio and because muscle is much more dense than fat, a more muscular person can weight a lot more, but still appear thinner than a person of the same height with less muscle.

And mjperreault, if you are finding it hard to build muscle you either
    a. aren't eating enough protein
    b. not lifting heavy enough,

...but probably going to guess a since you said this happened after losing weight (presumably through a calorie defect). In order to drop pounds and still gain muscle, you have to eat a lot of protein. And more likely what will happen is that your weight will stay them same, because you will be gaining muscle at the same time as you lose fat. Sorry if I'm getting a little hyphy, but all you ladies need to realize that the number on the scale is pretty pointless anyways. Frankly, I don't care if I gain 20 pounds as long as my measurements don't increase. Strong is the new skinny. I suggest you stop these silly comparisons unless you are trying to sabotage yourself and mental health.
  • mjperreault
    Options
    @kelseyhere

You are definitely right that different people look different at the same weight.

In my case, it's not the missing protein. I've been on a keto diet for the last couple years due to other medical issues, so my diet is primarily protein. Probably close to 55% protein. I started to lift heavy weights with low-avg. reps but I got bulky fairly quickly. Now I'm doing less weight with more reps. I have to eat about 2500-3000 calories a day because I am also a long distance runner. It's hard for me to maintain weight because I can't physically eat that much every day.

Anyways that's just me, like kelsey said, everyone is different, and it's not the number on the scale that matters, it's how you feel!! :)
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    Holey sh*tballs.
    I'm 5'8, I looked horrible at 55kg. But that may be my body shape - long arms and no boobs
    I'm currently 77kg and aiming for 65kg at lowest.
  • erinaroha
    Options
    @divadivax

I am 5ft8i and I am currently 76kgs. I was 69kg for my wedding in Nov 2011 so am working on getting back down there.
    Been doing lots of strength training though and finding I dont care about the scale number as much!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @tattedchic

I would doubt this statement because I'm 135 and only 5' 6" and typically wear a size 2. I'm very athletic and strong, but can't drop below 130 before people start commenting that I have an eating disorder (which I don't, I eat all the time). So I have a hard time believing that a woman 3 inches taller could weigh less and still look healthy. That brings me to my next point....

It's best to find the right weight for YOUR body rather than trying to compare to others. There is no "perfect" weight for every height, that why we have ranges. Everyone has a different fat/muscle ratio and because muscle is much more dense than fat, a more muscular person can weight a lot more, but still appear thinner than a person of the same height with less muscle.

You just contradicted yourself. You're doubting someone would look good at 5'9" and 130 but then saying people need to find the right weight for their own bodies...

Anyway, I look best at 125-130. I'm 5'9".
  • sunnykt
    sunnykt Posts: 66
    Options
    @tattedchic

And mjperreault, if you are finding it hard to build muscle you either
    a. aren't eating enough protein
    b. not lifting heavy enough,

...but probably going to guess a since you said this happened after losing weight (presumably through a calorie defect). In order to drop pounds and still gain muscle, you have to eat a lot of protein. And more likely what will happen is that your weight will stay them same, because you will be gaining muscle at the same time as you lose fat. Sorry if I'm getting a little hyphy, but all you ladies need to realize that the number on the scale is pretty pointless anyways. Frankly, I don't care if I gain 20 pounds as long as my measurements don't increase. Strong is the new skinny. I suggest you stop these silly comparisons unless you are trying to sabotage yourself and mental health.

"So I have a hard time believing that a woman 3 inches taller could weigh less and still look healthy." My sister is 5'8 and 127 and definitely looking healthy, I'm 5'7 and when I hit 132 people were commenting (although I just think that was from how quickly I dropped it and them having to adjust).
    It depends on the person and the type of weight. We are all different.
    I have very broad shoulders and skinny wrists so I probably look thinner than I am when clothed.

The point is, all bodies are different. Girls with round faces need to be skinner than girls with oval faces in order to noticeably look thin, some people have broader shoulders or longer torsos or longer legs, so you can't exactly say that someone 3 inches taller than you won't look healthy just because you wouldn't look "healthy" at that weight.

Also socio-economic and geographic region plays a part. Certain areas, particular some in America, like bigger women. When American girls come over to our country from these areas you can tell that some of them have different perceptions of their physical attractiveness and their weight to us. It's not that they are necessarily fat and it's not that we are necessarily thin, it's that their perception of themselves on the scale of attractiveness differs from ours. While most girls in my socio-economic circles would have a BMI of about 18.5-21, they would consider anything up to 25 fine, these girls would consider a BMI of 21-22 attractive, anything to 25 "fine" and anything less "too skinny". While it's all vaguely in the healthy realms it's just a slight different in perceptions of attractiveness and what is "too thin" and the room for error allowed. We like the smaller BMI sizes, they like the middle. So people's comments on your weight vary depending on the society you live in (and even your economic status, with richer women tending to be thinner).
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 134lbs... I am actually below my 'goal weight' but above my BF% - it's 25% and I want it down to around 20. I am throwing the scales out - I don't think they help much :/

I don't think you need to lose any weight but if you want to change your body like I do i.e. stop being 'skinny fat' then eat more protein and start lifting weights - get yourself a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women! Good luck xx
    Great advice.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow Sunnykt you are very knowledgeable!! Just wanted to say :smile:

I am 5'8.5 and my goal is to be 133 with a 18-20 percent body fat.
    Currently I am 153 with a 28 percent body fat. if I wanted to be 18-20 percent body fat at my weight I would need to replace 15 pounds of fat with muscle. So when I think of it that way it makes me feel a bit more optimistic about my fat loss.

Just a note, while 133 would be GREAT I just don't wanna be flabby anymore. So whatever I am at a low fat percentage will be A ok with me!!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 140 currently. Hoping to get back down to 125-130 like I was before, with 17% BF.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 144lbs. I was 180 when i started dieting. I definitely think that everyone is different, despite being similar height. I couldn't imagine being 135...I'm already getting comments that I'm too thin lol. Every BODY is different and u should get to whatever weight you feel comfortable with.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    5ft8 and WAS 149, but now am stuck at 152. My overall goal weight is 135, but my short-term right now is 145.
  • jbrod19
    jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hi! i'm 5'8.5 and right now i weigh 149 and i'm trying to get down to 135!! my goal weight is around 130-135.

feel free to add me!!! :)
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    At 5'8 you are already at the low end of healthy weight. Are you trying to lose weight and what is your goal? What prompted you to join MFP, maybe you are looking to be healthier or tone up??

I know that I do not need to lose any weight according to my bmi etc, but I still have a quite high bodyfat % (around 26/27) and therefore even look a bit chubby on my back and stomach.. Should I focus on strenght training or a low-calorie diet to bring my bf% down? A combo is probably best, but I like cardio way more than lifting weights (always get bored..) and eating less calories is simply more sustainable for me. What do you guys think:)?