6 months weigh in

Options
miss_erynn
miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
Today I had my 6 month weigh in! Officially lost 76lbs, 11 inches in my waist, 10 inches in my arms and 8 inches in my legs! AMAZING!

However, my iron, at my 3 month weigh in, was extremely low (was reading 44)...it is now 31, which is dangerous. I even take ferrous gluconate everyday, together with the prenatal.

They also have told me I am hypoglycemic and am running the risk for diabetes.

I'm pretty scared....... and am actually starting to regreat the surgery. I was healthier than I am now pre-surgery when I was at my heaviest. I can't eat meat now, I can hardly eat carbs, I get sick so often, low iron, may be diabetic now AFTER surgery....

anyone experience anything similar? I'm pretty down in the dumps.

Replies

• JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss and sorry to hear about your troubles. My doctor told me to take my iron pill with a vitamin c pill before bed every day. He said the vitamin c will help my body absorb the iron and that iron reserves build the most when you are sleeping. He also said to make sure not to take calcium pills within 2 to 4 hours of iron since they counteract each other somehow.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Yep! Iron blocks all other absorption..................however, since I'm not even absorbing the iron at this rate, there would be no difference in when I take them.

Maybe I should talk with my damily doctor instead of my bariatric surgeon... maybe he'll have an answer for how to deal with the low iron!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    great work honey x :bigsmile:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You may need to get iron infusions. If your PCP will not do this for you, go to a hematologist. Also vitalady.com has iron that many post-ops I know take. Thankfully I absorb iron just fine. It does matter when you take it. Do not take it within 2 hours of calcium, either calcium alone or calcium in your multivitamin. I take mine with vitamin c at bedtime.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    I am thinking maybe I should start taking my vitamins like this:

8:00 a.m. - calcium citrate and D3

12:00 - nexium (anti-acid), prenatal and B12

3:00 - biotin

5:30 - calcium citrate

10:00 p.m. - iron and vitamin C

thoughts?

I am absolutely TERRIFED of needles and will NOT allow myself to be hooked up to any drips for any amount of time. No chance in hell.

I had a terribly experience when I was in the hospital due to complications from surgery (developed a pouch infection). The IV machine I was hooked up to caught on fire WITH ME STILL HOOKED UP TO IT. I was scared straight, ended up having to get a flush and ripped the IV right out of my arm. I was bruised for months and refuse IVs now.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You need another multivitamin. We RNYers need to take it twice a day. Otherwise, looks good.

If you want to avoid infusions, I would write to vitalady and ask about what iron she recommends. I forget which one she recommends for people low in iron. She is wonderful.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    My RN and dietician said one a day is all I need. All my other levels were great!

But thanks for the website - I am going to email her!!! :)
  • veggibus
    veggibus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have also been instructed to take 2 multivitamins a day just to double my iron intake.
    I'd think about checking again with your surgeon.

Sorry to hear about your IV experience. That must have been horrible!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor, but I am chronically low in iron, and mine was so low that I was sleeping 12-14hrs a day. My team recommended Ferrous Sulfate as it is the most absorbable form of Iron. I was on 900 mg a day, took one with my multi in the morning and two just before bed. It took some time, but I am feeling better. It may take your body a while to get used to the iron... I also found that I was sick to my stomach and it was the iron causing this (noticed this when pregnant as well). Also, I am taking the Opurity Multivitamin which is designed for weightloss patients and only need one a day).

It may take awhile to find what works for you, but it will happen.