Week 2 and Struggling

Options
Ive attempted C25K multiple times before and I always give up because of how hard it gets. This time I've gotten to week 2 day 2 and I'm struggling. Today's run was awful. I got horrible shin splints and my calves burned the whole time. I realize most of you are C25K graduates (or at least a lot further along), but did anyone else really struggle around week 2 or 3? I've never been a runner and would really like to start enjoying running. Any tips? I wanted to pause the run and stretch my shins but I was worried I wouldn't keep going!
Any help would be great! I'm really trying to stick with it this time.

Replies

• MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Shin splints were the reason I didn't get past Week 2 last year. I found that icing 20-30 minutes every 4 hours until they stopped hurting, as well as taking pain relievers they didn't hurt for very long. You may want to check your shoes too.

I personally found Week 2 to be better than Week 1. I am currently hating the first new run of each week (W4D3 was today) and I think from here on out every day is different XD.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I haven't had a problem with pain, but a friend of mine did. She said she slowed down and focused more on her form and after that, she didn't experience any more pain. Hope this helps! Please don't give up!!!
  • rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would definitely check into new shoes. I bought decent running shoes prior to week 5, (Im on week 6 day 2 now) and the difference is HUGE. Keep going ! :-)
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ive attempted C25K multiple times before and I always give up because of how hard it gets. This time I've gotten to week 2 day 2 and I'm struggling. Today's run was awful. I got horrible shin splints and my calves burned the whole time. I realize most of you are C25K graduates (or at least a lot further along), but did anyone else really struggle around week 2 or 3? I've never been a runner and would really like to start enjoying running. Any tips? I wanted to pause the run and stretch my shins but I was worried I wouldn't keep going!
    Any help would be great! I'm really trying to stick with it this time.

I have the exact same problem My Shins/ Calves get so tight... I actually lost 1 1/4 inches in my left Calf.!!!! It's stops my progress and I 'really' would like to enjoy this and not dread it!! I don't think excercise should be torture!