Bags Under Eyes

Options
Kimber415
Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
Hello Primal friends....I started living Primally about a month ago. (started journey almost 2 months ago). I'm down 21 pounds and have 41 more pounds to loose to goal. I do some type of exercise almost daily and eat primally. I'm noticing when I look in the mirror I have bags under my eyes and the wrinkles are more pronounced then before. Any suggestions as to what my body is missing in my diet to cause this to happen? I feel perhaps something is missing in my food intake. I consume approx 1200 calories daily. Perhaps as I continue to loose this will even itself out but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions as to something I may be missing in my food intake that will keep my skin shiny and vibrant as I continue to loose weight? Thanks for your support....go Primal!

Replies

• aggiejane07
    aggiejane07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess but it might be related to the switch from your body using carbohydrates for energy to fat. When I first started eating that way I was in the bathroom all day long as my body dropped all the water weight. You may need to drink more water. Or a downside to losing a good amount of weight is that the extra you had before acted as a filler and plumped up your face a little bit so that whatever wrinkles you had before might have been masked.
  • Kimber415
    Options
    I was kind of afraid of that - the 2nd part to your reply. I'm usually told I look 10-15 years younger then I am....now with loosing weight, it could be the age showing....ugh....to be fat with no wrinkles or fit with wrinkles...that is the question. I do drink a lot of water but will continue to monitor that as well. And yes, could also be my body burning fat now. Will see how things go....thanks!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    One of a few things might be going on...
    I agree with the water retention issue..

but also might be that you are losing considerable fat in your face - I find that the fat deposits under my eyes are as difficult to thin out as my abs - the last to go.

You also lost a lot of weight in a short period of time, so your skin is taking some time to tighten up. It happens all over your body. While skin is elastic, it takes time.
  • Kimber415
    Options
    Thanks Mike....I have been noticing a lot more flabby skin...yuck...makes me feel fatter now then I was 21 pounds ago....hopefully the next 42 pounds will tone up more as I loose....
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    My naturopath recommended DermaCo caps for help with that. I also use lotion daily on my body and face. And even though I just turned 30 and the girl at Ulta laughed at me when I asked about wrinkle creams, I will be picking up some more Dermalogica anti-aging stuff for around my eyes. Parabens be damned, I will look pretty! (I also saw a study on some new Avon product which looks promising, and which I might try.)
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ditto above, but also... what about your sleep??

Are you getting 7-8 hours a night? (said with a smirk since I'm TERRIBLE at that).

Are you feeling tired during the day? It might be not enough sleep, or not enough cals. 1200 might be just fine for you if you're short like I am. But if you're exercising a lot, or taller, it might not be.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating plenty of healthy fats. Fat helps keep our skin supple and full. I noticed after going Primal that minor/fine-line wrinkles actually improved.
  • Kimber415
    Options
    Yes...I'm short, 5' 1 1/2" I sleep pretty good between 7 - 8 hours a night. Since drinking so much water I tend to get up in the night to get rid of some water though. I exercise approx 20 - 30 minutes a day and don't eat back my exercise calories as I count that as calculation errors within MFP either with calories or exercise. I'm trying to get in more healthy fats like unsalted almonds, Kerrygold butter, coconut oil. Trying coconut oil and heavy whipping cream in coffee in the AM. Might be low on calories but I'm not hungry except sometimes later in the evening. Sometimes I'm under 1000 calories but I'm loosing and not hungry when I stick to Primal eating. Thanks for all the replies. I do use cream (Merle Norman) on face and lotion on body daily. Hopefully as my quest continues what I'm seeing in my face will even itself out. On a positive note...my hair is growing so fast and full I think due to the good fats, in previous attempts at loosing weight my hair would fall out (probably from a low fat diet). Love Primal!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't forget with all the changes and eating pretty much clean it takes 2 years for the body to heal itself.......so changes will happen but it won't be overnight, stick with it, your doing wonderful
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes...I'm short, 5' 1 1/2" I sleep pretty good between 7 - 8 hours a night. Since drinking so much water I tend to get up in the night to get rid of some water though. I exercise approx 20 - 30 minutes a day and don't eat back my exercise calories as I count that as calculation errors within MFP either with calories or exercise. I'm trying to get in more healthy fats like unsalted almonds, Kerrygold butter, coconut oil. Trying coconut oil and heavy whipping cream in coffee in the AM. Might be low on calories but I'm not hungry except sometimes later in the evening. Sometimes I'm under 1000 calories but I'm loosing and not hungry when I stick to Primal eating. Thanks for all the replies. I do use cream (Merle Norman) on face and lotion on body daily. Hopefully as my quest continues what I'm seeing in my face will even itself out. On a positive note...my hair is growing so fast and full I think due to the good fats, in previous attempts at loosing weight my hair would fall out (probably from a low fat diet). Love Primal!

You sound just like me, except with better exercise and sleep!