Swim hats!

Options
PurpleCoyote
PurpleCoyote Posts: 24 Member
I did look to see if this had been answered anywhere, perhaps I'm the only one with this problem :) I have really thick, long hair, and my swim hat just slowly slides off my head halfway between the second and third length - so I have to grab, swim with it then stick it back on only to feel it slide off again!
Does anyone know of a retailer that sells hats for big heads? Or any tricks to beat my cap into submission?

Replies

• alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What kind of swim cap are you wearing? I have long hair, and when I race, I typically "double cap" it (I will put on a silicone cap over a lycra cap) for extra support. A latex cap over a lycra cap should work equally well.
  • PurpleCoyote
    Options
    What kind of swim cap are you wearing? I have long hair, and when I race, I typically "double cap" it (I will put on a silicone cap over a lycra cap) for extra support. A latex cap over a lycra cap should work equally well.

Oh god I wanted to put a pink one! It's a Speedo one, I'm presuming silicone or latex?The last time I wore a swimming hat was back in school when they were the awful rubber ones. I'll hunt out a lycra cap for the extra support. Thanks very much! :)
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They give me headaches, cant use 'em. I just put my hair in a tight bun, and the goggles help keep it in place. I recently discovered that wearing a fabric headband keeps the strays out of my face that inevitably come out.
  • KylieAlyssa26
    Options
    make sure you are putting your hair in a pony tail or bun before putting it on your head, and put some water in the cap before putting it on so it gets into place on your head better.
  • alli_baba
    Options

Oh god I wanted to put a pink one! It's a Speedo one, I'm presuming silicone or latex?The last time I wore a swimming hat was back in school when they were the awful rubber ones. I'll hunt out a lycra cap for the extra support. Thanks very much! :)
    I don't think it matter which brand (Speedo, Tyr, etc. -- they're all good), but I have found that the silicone ones can slip a little but I personally hate latex caps (always rip on me and if I don't wear a lycra cap underneath, the latex can rip my hair out).

One other thought is how you tuck your hair in your cap. I always tie my hair up in a high ponytail and flip my hair over forward when putting on my cap (so more hair is toward the front than the back).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • alli_baba
    Options
    One final thought -- I know Speedo makes a silicone cap specifically for long hair (it's just a bit larger than the normal cap). My hair is long but the texture is fine and stick straight so the normal cap works well. But if you have curly hair, you may want to look into that cap (I think it is the same price as the normal silicone caps -- $10-$12).
  • PurpleCoyote
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I have been putting my hair up in a bun but it's pretty bulky with the curls and thickness so hasn't done much good, but I shall try the putting the ponytail over my head first and see if the darn thing stays on! The headband sounds like a really good trick too.
    And if all else fails it's go get a swim hat for long hair that may like me better :)
  • Lianggui95
    Lianggui95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like latex swim caps cause they stretch better than the silicon. The silicon caps are good cause they are more durable but they don't stretch and so much more expensive than latex. With latex you can buy like two and it would equal the same price as one silicon cap.. Hope this helps! :)
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I recently bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H05SCG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 and it is HUGE on me (I have an average head with curls past my shoulders)..so I'd say it may be perfect for you. It doesn't slip and slide at all, just overall way too big for me. May be worth a shot :)
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The silicone ones are thicker and I find that they are more likely to come off. My sister has the same issue that you do and she only uses the latex caps now. They are more likely to stay on because they are a little stretchier and "cling" better.