How much should I be eating?

Options
I had gastric sleeve on 8/7/12. I am down from 303 to 273. I am back to regular food and I am having a hard time with feeling like I'm eating too much. I can usually eat about 1/2 cup of food at one setting. I am trying to eat just 3 times a day. I eat protein first, which is about all I can get in before I'm full. I feel like my weight lose has slowed way down. I am just worried that I can eat too much at one time, I'm scared to death that I'm going to stop losing and start gaining. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem, or did you at first?

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    it's normal a few weeks after surgery we all hit this wall where we think "oh my, am I that one person this isn't going to work for". I had my RNY in May, once I was eating semi solids a half cup was my normal and I ate 3-4 times a day. I did however have a lot of trouble with getting enough liquids. I'm now a bit over 4 months out and I'm eating about 3/4 of a cup in volume when I eat a meal and I'm still eating 3-4 times a day, I still have some trouble with meat so I use protein shakes and protein bars daily as part of my meal plan. There are some who eat more volume and strive to reach that 1200 calorie a day goal but me I just focus on protein and water.

around week 3 or 4 post surgery we ALL hit a several week stall mine caused me to have a month where I lost 3 pounds for the whole month. I now average about 7 because in my case, even though I'm only 4 months out, I'm within 35 pounds of my goal weight and frankly the closer to normal we get the slower it will happen. I've also noticed I have a slight weight gain before a big loss and the closer I get to goal the more my monthly cycle affect my water weight gain.

Hope something I said is helpful...Sounds like you are doing great and just a little anxious, my best advice, don't sweat it, let the surgery do it's job and if a 1/2 cup is comfortable remember that it's about 4 oz which is ideal.
  • Bleap2013
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. It does help. I too have a hard time with the fluids. I'm lucky to get 56 oz in. Which is so weird to me, because pre op it was noting for me to have over 100 oz a day. Good luck to you on your journey, keep up the good work.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :wink: I'm almost 4weeks post op, and I can consume approx 3/4cup at a time (of soft foods~ smoothie, cream of wheat).
    I tried a bite of hamburger meat, and I felt like it was going to get stuck, so I'm staying with soft foods for now.
    I'm satisfied with smoothies made with protein and greek yogurt. plus I get more protein with isopure. and I take my vitamins.
    I started the gym last week, strength training with cardio to burn the fat ... it'll work out :smile:
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months out, and have lost kind of slowly according to my nutritionist. That being said, I lost 4 lbs. after my first dr. visit (pre-op), (304-300) 18 lbs. during pre-op diet (300-282), and 72 lbs. (282-210) in the last 6 months. post surgery that is about a 12 lb. monthly average. I will sometimes go for 3 weeks and the scale will not move. and then poof 5-6 lbs over night. my nut. wanted me loosing 14-16 lbs a month, but my dr. said when in my life have I ever lost 12 lbs. in a month? The easy loss seems to have come to a slow down...the "honeymoon phase" is slowing down and I have began working out regularly.

I still struggle with some meats. fruit and veggies are the easiest. I have to set an alarm to make me eat every 2 hours as I still only manage 500-800 calories a day. My Nut says the low cals is why I loose slowly. I eat about 6 times a day when I remember to. Fluids are still hard and I have no real hunger pangs as of yet. If the family doesn't tell me they are hungry everyone will starve. lol!

I went through the phase of "i will be the only one this won't work for." You will be fine. my first plateau was 2 weeks post-op and it did not budge for three weeks. you will be ok. feel free to friend me.

hope this helps.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising yet? You will not gain weight as long as you are eating right and according to your doctor's guidelines. Activity is key also to weight loss and maintenance. Congrats and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou: