weight loss secrets

Options
losecandy
losecandy Posts: 22 Member
I would like to have anything you learned on how to lose weight. I am talking about nutritionally.

Replies

• AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Small frequent meals with calorie counting, and lots of water. I exercise gently as well.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have learned that people with thyroid problems need to be very careful about ingesting anything containing soy.

Soy can interfere with the absorption of thyroid medications.
  • moesaid2
    Options
    I've been working on lowering my carbs. My goal is no more than 50 carbs per meal. It's been quite challenging, but I've seen the scale move for the second time since I've been on MFP.
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Gluten free, soy free, dairy free diet. I eat no more than 100 grams of Carbs per day. I exercise at least 5 days per week.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I currently eat Paleo/Primal. I eat meat, eggs, lots of good fats, vegetables by the tons, some fruit, nuts and seeds. Typically my carbs come from vegetables only but occasionally I'll eat some potatoes. I don't eat beans, any grains including sprouted ones, hydrogenated oils, dairy (currently don't eat it for the next three weeks as I'm doing Whole30) and refined sugar other than fruit.

I eat between 1300-2600 calories a day depending on my hunger and fitness intensity. I don't limit my calorie intake but I used to when I was trying to lose weight to be in the healthy weight range. I try to keep my carbs under 100 grams, but today I went over a bit. I limit my daily fruit intake to no more than once a day and it's always berries because they're low in natural sugar and carbs. I eat adequate protein to maintain my muscle mass, between 60-93 grams of protein daily dependent on my fitness schedule. I eat a lot of fat, hit over 200 grams of fat today. It seems pretty extreme but since I've been doing this for 9 months now, it's rather interesting to try different things with carbs, fats, and protein. I've found that I lose the most when I eat the most fat, and eat leaner sources of protein such as chicken instead of grass fed beef. Grass fed beef tends to be very heavy in my stomach whereas fish is more easily digested.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Gluten free, soy free, dairy free diet. I eat no more than 100 grams of Carbs per day. I exercise at least 5 days per week.

I think I'm your twin! This is what works for me too :smile:
  • mama78loosinWeight
    Options
    Eat 3 cups of vegetables a day. I cup of salad, 1 cup of bright colored veg, and 1 cup of cruciferous veg. It is amazing the difference it makes! Then keep your carbs around 100, stick to gluten free where possiable...and I personally avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. And as always exercise, exercise, exercise.
    Hope that helps!
  • tamred69
    tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but cutting grains helps me, too.
    :(
    I love grains.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I find I have to eat enough... so I can't go hungry or skip meals. Obviously, you shouldn't eat too much either, but you can't go hungry, or else it messes with your metabolism even more.

I have no problems with grains, as long as they are whole grains. I need as much fiber as I can get (because I don't get any bowel movements until I do get lots of fiber) and oatmeal, brown rice, and whole grain pasta are easy ways to get fiber. I wouldn't eat too many refined grains. A serving here or there doesn't hurt, but too much can put me on an energy roller coaster.... which is not good.

Protein helps me stay full longer. I think it breaks down slower in the body.

I also have to get enough water. I aim for at least 2 quarts a day.
  • losecandy
    losecandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I'm going to try suggestions.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I generally eat pretty low carb, because I too have been told by me endo, "CARBS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND IF YOU HAVE THYROID ISSUES." However, I haven't had a tremendous weight loss necessarily from lower carb (I always stay below 150, usually, generally aim for under 100).

I wish docs didn't just look at carbs--since upping my protein, sometimes regardless of my carbs, and lifting weights, I'm FINALLY starting to notice a difference not only in how I look, but also how I feel.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,
    I've been reading your thread, but no time to answer. :ohwell:
    If you do a search & look back at past threads, you will find all kinds of info. We seem to discuss this at least weekly with new members. Unfortunately there is not the option to make a sticky. (the creator of the group is no longer around).

I have been very successful with the addition of virgin coconut oil to my diet. If you do a search online for virgin coconut oil & hypothyroid you will find great articles about the benefits. It not only helps you lose weight, but helps with energy & constipation. Its amazing, really.

I was skeptical, because I've always been low fat/low carb/high protein. But when I got to the last 10 lbs, I had to try something to get it moving! And it DOES work... also makes you feel really good. :drinker:

You can also search this group for threads on Coconut oil...

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    lots for fruits and vegetables. Less red meat. Less cookies and the like. This seems to help. I'm not into fad diets or foods. Just eat what I like, but more of the good stuff and less of the not so good stuff.
  • RicoHuerta
    RicoHuerta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To all, thanks for the tips and suggestions. Trying this now as I have been directed by my base to do this. I eat below 1500 calories, almost no carbs (except fruits); no sugars; no breads, and exercise (elliptical and walking 4 to 5 times a week) with not much results. weight comes and goes but I believe my meds are finally set right. I have 2 bad knees thanks to an incident in iraq so running is no longer a option.

Nice to hear that others are having trouble as well because normally all you hear is that you are not trying enough. good luck to all.

v/r
    Rico
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been working on lowering my carbs. My goal is no more than 50 carbs per meal. It's been quite challenging, but I've seen the scale move for the second time since I've been on MFP.

^^^This^^^ works best for me too.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Low carb was/is the answer for me as well. I am on a very low carb plan - less than 50 NET carbs per day but that is due to insulin/blood sugar issues. I drink a lot of water too. I am trying REALLY hard to go gluten free but its tough to give up my low carb tortillas. I really try to stay away from processed foods (anything with more chemicals than natural food) and refined sugar.

Things that have saved me:

Chia seeds - super filling, very nutritional and lots of great recipes out there
    Coconut oil - google it!!
    Low carb crepes - Oh they are SOOOO good. They are made with cream cheese and eggs and are wonderful as a breakfast item OR dinner item
    Exercise - when I have the energy
    This forum - they keep me from going nuts!!!

Good luck and welcome!
  • mcheather14
    mcheather14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As a 12+ year Medical Lab Technician and a 15+ year hypothyroid patient, I can assure you that you would need to injest an extremely high amount of soy daily to have it interfere with your thyroid meds. I drink Silk Soy milk frequently and find it is easier on my stomache than regular 1% milk and I am not lactose intolerant. I have been my own guinea pig for years testing out foods on myself to see if they have an impact. I have even tried using fluoride-free toothpaste. There is a lot of data on the internet about things that interfere with thyroid meds, but the only one that can and will make a difference is taking your thyroid meds with 4 hours of anything containing calcium. Calcium inhibits the absorption of all thyroid meds, so don't take you meds within 4 hours of milk, yogurt, cheeses, your multi-vitamin, or any other calcium rich foods.
  • mcheather14
    mcheather14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have learned that people with thyroid problems need to be very careful about ingesting anything containing soy.

Soy can interfere with the absorption of thyroid medications.

As a 12+ year Medical Lab Technician and a 15+ year hypothyroid patient, I can assure you that you would need to injest an extremely high amount of soy daily to have it interfere with your thyroid meds. I drink Silk Soy milk frequently and find it is easier on my stomache than regular 1% milk and I am not lactose intolerant. I have been my own guinea pig for years testing out foods on myself to see if they have an impact. I have even tried using fluoride-free toothpaste. There is a lot of data on the internet about things that interfere with thyroid meds, but the only one that can and will make a difference is taking your thyroid meds with 4 hours of anything containing calcium. Calcium inhibits the absorption of all thyroid meds, so don't take you meds within 4 hours of milk, yogurt, cheeses, your multi-vitamin, or any other calcium rich foods.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    To all, thanks for the tips and suggestions. Trying this now as I have been directed by my base to do this. I eat below 1500 calories, almost no carbs (except fruits); no sugars; no breads, and exercise (elliptical and walking 4 to 5 times a week) with not much results. weight comes and goes but I believe my meds are finally set right. I have 2 bad knees thanks to an incident in iraq so running is no longer a option.

Nice to hear that others are having trouble as well because normally all you hear is that you are not trying enough. good luck to all.

v/r
    Rico

You might try to increase your calories and stay gluten free, soy/dairy free. Lots of veggies healthy fats like coconut oil. I eat meals that total around 1400 calories a day but, with the coconut oil/MCT oil and cod liver oil I take I seem to intake closer to 1800 calories a day