At home Martial Arts workouts (with weight training)

Options
Does anyone have a workout routine they use for when they're not at the Dojang, the ring, Dojo etc.? I don't have a basement, so i can't use a Wavemaster or other type of bag to work on my kicking and punching. Is there a specific workout that anyone can recommend (with weights incorporated), or are there any good websites that have these types of workouts? I'm looking to get lean, strong, and flexible, and i just want to supplement my training at my Dojang until i get Tapout XT.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing? I used to spend a lot of time shadowboxing.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    We put the Wavemaster right in our living room. And we do wall stretches together which has been really great way to improve flexibility. My husband does strength training either at home with free weights or at our local gym. I prefer tabata class... although certaining I could use more strength training in my weekly routine. I have also supplemented with Insanity DVDs. My husband has used the P90X DVDs for a short time but felt that he could do a better job with his own program.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can probably scan the muay thai regiment I use. It was in a magazine. **** is good and really kicks your *kitten*. I add in ankle and wrist weights.

Also, maybe you should consider shaolin or even just the yoga aspect of the art. You should see my kicks right now. I blame their power on taking the time to stretch and hold each "chamber" of the kick.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing, rope skipping, push-ups, burpees, abdominal exercises (never isolated or assisted!!!), running, yoga style stretching, etc, etc.

I read a quote from Bruce Lee once that said something like that Martial Artists generally focus on practicing and refining their movements and techniques at the expense of general fitness conditioning. So, it is as important to work on fitness when not in the dojo as it is to practice techniques.

With this in mind, there are an infinite number of body weight exercises that will help you improve strength, cardiovascular endurance and flexibility! The above list is just the first things that came to mind.

Now get out there and start sweating Grass Hopper! :-)

PS The feeling when after 3 rounds the 20something guy you are sparring with runs out of gas while you still have lots left to offer is GREAT!!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing, rope skipping, push-ups, burpees, abdominal exercises (never isolated or assisted!!!), running, yoga style stretching, etc, etc.
    This.

What do you work on in your dojang? What does your instructor tell you that you need to improve upon? Can you incorporate it into your fitness routine? Get creative.
    Before I cleaned out my shed and hung up in the bag, I worked out in my yard. I had a little routine of jumping jacks, lunges, pushups, "jumping rope", squats, burpees, high knees, mountain climbers, sit-ups, planks, etc. 25-50 reps of each, three sets. Then I would incorporate punches and kicks combos into my lunges and squats.
    Since we condition our hands and feet, I still practice my techniques *lightly* against brick or trees. Throwing kicks from a kneeling position really gets my HR up. Starting flat on my back and rolling up to my elbow while throwing a kick works my abs.
    Good luck!
  • rstoliker
    Options
    I had GREAT results with the old Bas Rutten routine and weighted gloves. Very simple concept, since I find shadowboxing boring. All he does is shout out different Boxing and/or Muay Thai combo. 2 or 3 minute rounds worth. LOVED it
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like to do circuit training when I'm not solely training for technical stuff. I do 5 resistance, 5 cardio and 5 technical exercises for 1min 30 with 30 seconds rest between each exercise. Sometimes I will add 5 stretches too. I do 2 circuits and practice 1 pattern after warm up, one pattern after the first circuit and one pattern before cool down.
    I like because if I want to I can make my strength and cardio exercises martial arts based too, eg slow motion kicking or shadow sparring (favourite is 30 seconds light intensity, 30 moderate and finish with 30 full blast) and it stops me from being pedantic about technique to the extent that I over think it and it all goes horribly wrong, because I don't have time in 1 min 30... not that I have a tendency to over think technique :S honest.
    Also totally agree, no need for a basement for a wavemaster, I've got a century BOB in my front room. He serves multiple purposes, for example: burglar frightener and coat and hat stand :)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Also totally agree, no need for a basement for a wavemaster, I've got a century BOB in my front room. He serves multiple purposes, for example: burglar frightener and coat and hat stand :)
    I'll bet he'll be fun at Halloween!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can forms (kata), if you have the room. You can mix it up by going slowly, then fast, then with dynamic tension, then loosely, etc. You can also get a couple of 3 pound weights, or whatever you're comfortable with, and doing punches, blocks, and even forms while holding the weights.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    You can forms (kata), if you have the room. You can mix it up by going slowly, then fast, then with dynamic tension, then loosely, etc. You can also get a couple of 3 pound weights, or whatever you're comfortable with, and doing punches, blocks, and even forms while holding the weights.

That's a good idea. I'm having minor trouble doing my Poomsae actually, even though i learned Green Belt Poomsae in one class......... i haven't been going as steadily as i should, so i'm a bit rusty. Thanks for the input!
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'll bet he'll be fun at Halloween!
    Hadn't thought of that one! Think I'll put a pumpkin on his head and stand him by the window... any excuse to make hungry girl's pumpkin pie! He makes me jump enough when I'm tired in the morning.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific workouts, but kettle bells might be the answer for you. There are a ton of exercises you'd be able to do because kettle bells are just like ishi-sashi, which have been used by martial artist forever. Here a link to a few exercises.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90hJGCuDK4&list=PLD2AD6887CD85970E&index=1&feature=plpp_video