How are you preparing?

Options
Merci444
Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
How are you making last minute preparations?

I am planning out my pantry list and checking it twice. I am also gathering recipes and planning out a lunch strategies.

I am guessing I will need some sort of lunchbox (maybe a bento box.)

I use Big Oven to plan out my meals and grocery list. You can search Paleo and it brings up many recipes. You can also enter in your own recipes and even add pictures so I will probably do some of that. (I <3 Big Oven)

What are you doing to prepare?

Replies

• MizMelis26
    MizMelis26 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I gotta say i'm pretty much doing the same. I've cooked some meals ahead of time already, and just tonight i made a huge pot of Jambalaya(Paleo Version). So the next few days I'll be figuring out every single meal and snack so that i can make sure i don't run out of options and make sure it's a good variety. I get bored with food if i'm not well prepared lol.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Oh wow I have never heard of Big Oven, I will be checking that out! I will be making food list of items that are 100% compliant so I don't mess things up AGAIN! I am taking my list to Trader Joes this weekend and stocking up.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat Paleo the last week... but I've slipped a few times and had some no-nos.... and I had some white wine last night... but I'm not drinking during the Whole30 so I need to get rid of the wine in the fridge... right?!

Also I worked my butt off on the elliptical so that's how I'm justifying it... that and I didn't have carbs yesterday except for that - and I was still way under on my carbs.

For prep I'm just trying to "ween" myself into the whole30. I should start planning some meals, but our work blocks most internet sites. Sigh.
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing resources like Big Oven, etc., we'll definitely have to create a topic for fave recipes, etc. Another person mentioned NomNom Paleo which is another great website for recipes.

I definitely will want to get more creative with recipes this time around - I did get bored last time because I was too busy to do anything but salad and protein with veggies. It was still good and worked but with the cooler weather I know I'll want more comfort food style stuff to eat. Luckily one of my good friend who lives near me is in this group and she's a great cook. So, I'll be getting some tips from her lol... (hi Em!)

Basically, I plan to stock up on some natural meats at my local price club (BJ's). They have great deals on organic eggs, natural pork loin, ribs, organic chicken with skin and the boneless kind. They also carry bison, which I heard is grass fed due to USDA standards. There's also a pole caught/sustainable canned tuna and salmon sold at my local asian grocer that I may try. (I will get some and post the brand name.) My local farmer's market sells ground beef that is grass fed but the steaks are so pricey! I'm close to NYC and there's Chelsea market that sells grass fed meats, but again, maybe as a treat once or twice during the program but I may need to stick to cheaper options. I know there are websites you can order grass fed meat from, etc.

So, my plan is to buy the meat at the price club that I can to at least start next week and then find some recipes over the weekend. I have a few veggie markets a few blocks away since I live in an urban envionment, so that makes it easier for me to pick up things when I drop off/pick up my daughter off at daycare, etc.

I definitely agree that the more you prepare the easier it is to follow, especially in the first week or two when temptation to slip is high. You also have to have something you regard as a treat. Not to whole30-ify desserts (because the book does mention not to do that as a matter of principle) but some people in the last group made (what I felt) totally reasonable stuff like "banana ice cream" with banana, coconut milk and vanilla extract and chilled it, that sort of thing. And fresh blueberries and cherries were around in August and I went through a ton of those!

Anyway, best of luck to everyone during your prep period and thanks for starting this topic Merci!

~Liza
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started a ticker. My October Savory Primal will count towards my goal of 100 Savory Days! Keeping fingers crossed I can meet it.

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wKbWSsX/exercise.png
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    well... maybe this is silly of me but I'm kind of trying to clear out any temptation foods/non-Whole30 foods before I start. And by clear out, I mean consume >.<

Aside from some frozen cookie dough and red potatoes I'm pretty sure eveything is a-okay, after yesterday.

I'm also scouring recipes like it's my job so I can keep some creative things stocked up. My biggest downfall to eating well is lack of convenience, so I'm trying to see if there are things I can make & store in the freezer for quick prep later on!
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I personally love 'thefoodee.com'! They have one section with only 'Whole30 approved' recipes gathered from all the great paleo blogs (Marks Daily Apple, Everyday Paleo and many more).
    I love this site so much, as it makes a shopping list for you as well when you choose your meals!
  • Merci444
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for the resources, I love checking out new things!

I just finished planning out week one and on index cards I wrote out Breakfasts, lunches and dinners. I plan to go on Big Oven and enter it all in later today to make my plan and go to Google tasks and enter in my cook ahead tasks.

I need to check to see how to enter in my own recipes there, I have the paid version and I am supposed to be able to do that and also add pictures. I will check out some of the other resources though and if I like one better, I will switch over.

I am hoping to go out to Trader Joe's and probably Fresh Market (because they have nice meats) to stock my pantry.

I have a daughter, son and boyfriend who will have tempting foods around that is why I will be on here a LOT for support. I am pretty good about it though.
  • Merci444
    Options
    I've been having trouble with Big Oven and I think I am going to switch to something more Paleo centered. I like thefoodee.com so far, but I want to set a grocery list for next week and I can't figure out how, and I also want to edit my grocery list.

Any other resources are welcomed at this time? I really want somewhere I can plan my meals as well as create printable grocery list, etc.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have been tapering down on my carbs and dairy so that it is not such of a huge change when I start. I have also been trying to finish some of the foods that I wont be able to eat, that will probably go bad before my 30 days is up. I also am trying to recruit some friends to do this with me so it is easier.
  • Merci444
    Options
    I've been doing that too, Drakechic! I am eating up the last of my feta (which will be hard for me to give up)
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OMG, I survived Day 16 of my 100 Days of Savory Life. That was the first time I was seriously challenged. HUGE apple craving right during this unsettled time when you just can't go to bed when you should.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    In the midst of reading "It Starts With Food", bought the Well Fed cookbook (AMAZING), planned out my weekly menu for week 1 and my shopping list. Now just gotta go shopping on monday. I'm getting excited :D
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm prepping this weekend by buying some bones from my local butcher for bone broths, stocking up on coconut milk, cleaning out the fridge so I have enough room for more veggies, and reading through a bunch of cookbooks for recipes that are friendly for me and my family so that I'm well prepared and don't cave this time.

I don't have a lot to buy or to avoid since I just came off a Whole30 for September (lasting only 16 days). I've been trying to finish all of it this week (dark chocolate is going to the kids and my hubby). I can honestly say I'm not as attached to cheese as I once was. I got indigestion from it the other day and it threw me for a loop when, after a few weeks no breakouts, I suddenly had two new pimples on my face. I'm rather vain so I was irritated with that. So now I prefer coconut milk to half & half, and it's so strange to say that because it has always been half & half in my coffee.
  • Merci444
    Options
    Well, I had my planning and grocery trip today. I couldn't find acceptable fish sauce and coconut aminos, (guess I'll order them) I even went to Whole Foods.

I found a local butcher that came highly recommended and I plan to go there after the first week. I had some extra pantry items to get this week and spent a lot on groceries. I have been eating some of the things that will go bad otherwise but am basically already eating in a way that I am happy with. I had my last dolmades today. One more day.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I went to Trader Joes and Earth Fare today and stocked up on some things - I am going to work on my menu for the rest of the month and hopefully go back next weekend to get the things I missed. The closest ones are an hour and a half away so will need to make sure I get it all next week.
  • Merci444
    Options
    Yes, you really have to plan ahead if it is a long way to the stores where you can get quality food. I am lucky to have some nearby, but will order a few things online and hope for quick delivery. I am excited about tomorrow!!
  • MizMelis26
    MizMelis26 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've planned almost the whole month out already. 12 recipes, most which can be made ahead of time and frozen. Like burgers, sliders, and big batch meals. The last things i have to plan out are lunches and snacks and a few breakfast idea's. I hate eating the same thing every day. Grocery day tomorrow !!
  • healthylife4kb
    Options
    I've been reading It Starts with food and finding recipes. Thefoodee.com is very helpful so is theclothesmakethegirl.com for recipe ideas. I like how in the book they emphasize staples like eggs, ground meat but then changing the spices up for different tastes. I think this will work well when I am not feeling creative.

I have also been clearing out my place of all grains and processed foods. Good thing can donation season is right around the corner because I had quite a few cans of beans.

I pre-cooked some vegetable options to mix in like spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes. I also made a breakfast fritatta for meals before work.

I am trying to figure out how to make bigger meals and reduce the snacking.