Cant get enough fat!

Options
So I'm on induction. Lost 5 pounds in a week. Lost all bread cravings and full of energy! However, looking at my logs I'm averaging 100 grams of protein a day and only about 60 grams of fat. I heard my fat needs to be higher than my protein. How can I get more healthy fats in???? I'm a previous Weight Watcher addict with no real results. I was ALWAYS STARVING! Anyhow I'm not familiar with seeking fatty foods...

Replies

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things is to add coconut oil to my morning coffee (or at night sometimes too) It adds creaminess and makes the coffee very rich. some people add butter to theirs, I just prefer to coconut oil taste. I also tend to drizzle olive oil over many foods just to add the fat. I also save my bacon grease and put it on vegetables...:bigsmile:
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, almonds, avocados, glorious amounts of cheese :D ... Use full fat mayo on your tuna, cooke with butter, olive oil or coconut oil. Look at my diary!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    All natural fats are healthy. Don't listen to the Saturated Fat propaganda!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Natural sources of fats

Raw Almonds, Pecan and Walnuts (make sure they are raw and not roasted - I buy mine at either Trader joe or Target (has a jug of raw almonds in thier nut section)

Almond Butter (I get mine fresh ground from Whole Foods - but you can buy in store (be sure to check the label so it only says Almonds and maybe salt) or make your own) - I usually eat a serving with a small apple

Avocado - mash up and use as spread, make or buy guacamole (I buy the 100 calorie packs of Wholly Guac to grab and go with some carrots or red peppers)

Full Fat Plain Greek Yogurts

Olive Oil

Coconut Oil
  • bellasmama218
    Options
    NIce! Thanks. One more question a little off topic. I get "plugged" so to speak. I drink 100 plus oz. of water so i know that is not the problem. I have been taking fiber pills. they are 10 cals each, 0 sugar, 0 carbs with 5 grams fiber. I take 1 in the am and 1 in the evening. So this 10 grams of fiber.... is it fait to say I can deduct this from my total cabs for the day or no???
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If its being logged as 0 carbs and 10 fibre then not really as they've already deducted it. Technically it's 10 carb, 10 fibre but they've already quoted it as net carbs. To deduct it would be doing it twice.
    Milled flax seed is good too. Lots of fat and protein, nearly all carbs are fibre. Hardly tastes of anything so great to add to sauces, yogurt, cream cheese etc
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    NIce! Thanks. One more question a little off topic. I get "plugged" so to speak. I drink 100 plus oz. of water so i know that is not the problem. I have been taking fiber pills. they are 10 cals each, 0 sugar, 0 carbs with 5 grams fiber. I take 1 in the am and 1 in the evening. So this 10 grams of fiber.... is it fait to say I can deduct this from my total cabs for the day or no???

Not sure about carbs and fiber pills?

I took a peak at your diary and looks like you could increase your veggies. This will help get the bowels moving and you give you nutrients you need. Take a look at the latest Atkins book, if you haven't already. The amount of veggies are increased from earlier versions of Atkins. You can get this information online as well.

For breakfast and dinner, I have chopped cucumber and/or celery, 1 or 2 cups. For dinner, 2 cups steamed veggies. I'm in OWL now, at 40-50 grams carbs/day.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    In terms of getting 'plugged' try adding flax to your diet- a great way to do this is by having a MIM (Muffin in a minute). See the sticky tread at the top of the group for recipes, nutritional info and method. You can make savoury ones to use as 'bread/muffins' or sweet ones (chocolate, raspberry, lemon etc...) which are a great dessert or breakfast.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The pills: Fiber is a carb, so if it has am amount of fiber, it has that amount of carb, but you get to subtract it. So don't count it again (like the above poster said). I'll also ditto that ground flax will get your fiber in. I use it in the Muffin in a Minute - see thread on main page - and that gives me a fiber boost.

I also have coconut oil in my coffee every morning and I use full fat everything. Avocados will help... cheese... fatty meats like bacon... Yum. I want to eat now!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, coconut oil, butter and cream are easy ways to add fat. Add some olive oil to salads, butter to veggies and cream to fruits or coffee/tea.

Fat will help get things moving too. If you're taking the fibre pills, make sure you drink enough water and that you're not taking too many.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Avocado, macadamia nuts, almonds, coconut oil, olive oil, salad dressing, mayo are the foods I try to encourage in my diet to get that protein/fat ratio tweaked. I think this is one of the most challenging parts of doing Atkins.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just spent last night making FAT BOMBS, lol. That's what they're called. Here's a link to the recipe I used:

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2012/01/abi-faes-fat-bombs.html

I made them in the mini silicone ice cube trays and it made 68 of them. Mine are a little bigger than a rolo candy. Each one is 74 calories, 1g carb, 7g fat. She makes hers a lot larger than mine. I just wanted something to increase my fat as well and figure I can have one with each meal. They're just so rich that any bigger than what I made them would probably be too much for me at one time. So these smaller ones 3x per day will get me an additional 21g of fat. I did use splenda and next time will add just a little splenda to the chocolate as well. The 85% dark chocolate is totally unsweetened so I think I'll add a bit of splenda just to take the edge off the chocolate.
  • bellasmama218
    Options
    Her recipe states

• 1 stick butter
    • 2 Tbsp butter

confused.... is one a DIFFERENT butter?? coconut butter maybe?
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Her recipe states

• 1 stick butter
    • 2 Tbsp butter

confused.... is one a DIFFERENT butter?? coconut butter maybe?
    Just to clarify for anyone reading....
    She uses 1 stick of butter in the fat bomb itself, then uses 2 tbsp butter in with the chocolate while melting it to smooth out the chocolate. So the 2 tbsp is not part of the bomb, but part of the chocolate topping or glaze.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've used that recipe as a base to start making my own tweaks, usually do something like this~

1/2 cup almond butter (or pb), natural I grind at the store myself
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    raw walnut halves (about two halves in each bomb)
    SF chocolate/regular chocolate chips/85% dark chocolate
    Kosher salt.

I figure out the numbers before I make a batch, and make 9-10 bombs at a time, and depending on how I'm feeling I'll switch it up a bit to hit the numbers I want. I put the walnuts and chocolate pieces in the bottom of the silicon muffin container and then pour the melted mixture over and sprinkle with the salt.

For other fat additions, I cook my veggies/stir fries in a bit of oil or butter, then top with a bit of butter and a tablespoon of parmesan cheese. Nom!

Tea or coffee with a good dose of half and half.
  • bellasmama218
    Options
    I made the fat bombs but no chocolate topping. I got the 85%chocolate, took a bite and threw up LOL.. Anyhow I didn't have a silicone mold so I put saran wrap over my cupcake tin and worked like a dream, after they chilled I ran scissors between the cupcake openings and it was a perfect individually wrapped fat bomb :) Thanks all!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    N. One more question a little off topic. I get "plugged" so to speak. I drink 100 plus oz. of water so i know that is not the problem.

Fiber:

Yes, track Net carbs (Carbs - Fiber) , but no I don't subtract stuff like sugar alcohols. They do get metabolized.
    Add Fiber to your Macro tracker so you can keep track of it. Work you way up to 20g (slowly, don't do it all at once of it could be too much too fast)
    I try for 60g carb - 20g fiber = 40g net carb per day. But that's just me.
    You can also take Magnesium. That helps also. I take 200mg/day. But once again. Start with lower doses and increase if necessary, slowly.