Subways , hold the sub.

Options
wfte
wfte Posts: 195 Member
I decided to check the nutritional values of Subways on their site. I thought there's no reason I can't still enjoy them just minus the sub.

I think I've found my lunch for Friday (payday)

Foot long Chicken and Bacon ranch melt, extra cheese.
Dump the contents on a plate and discard the sub.

Calories: 684
Protein: 64
Carbs: 6
Fat: 42.2

Anyone else done/do this?

Replies

• mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Guess it would be okay, but at over 2000 mg's of sodium I could not do it.
  • wfte
    Options
    I don't worry too much about that.

Most recent studies have shown, pretty much like saturated fat, that the whole salt hypothesis is rather weak. Even if salt shouldn't be over consumed the recommended intakes are very likely to be much lower than they actually need to be.

I've been overweight my whole life and always had a diet with sodium levels above the recommended levels and my doctor has never had any issues with my blood pressure at all.

Apologies if you made the reference as you personally have a sensitivity towards salt. Of course, like many things, different people respond differently to all kinds of things.
  • mensasu
    Options
    Yup, I have High Blood Pressure and am now on a salt restricted diet :(
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've heard at least one person say that any Subway sandwich can be made into a salad in lieu of bread. Doesn't hurt to ask.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The Subway menus usually include the sandwiches you can order as salad i.e sweet onion teriyaki.
  • wfte
    Options
    Hhhmmm I can see that on the US Subway page but the UK one doesn't display it. Might be different in shop.

TBH I'm happy to just buy the sub, stuff salad in it and dump it on a plate, discarding the sub.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have High Blood Pressure and am now on a salt restricted diet :(

You may wish to look into the need for salt on a low-carb diet.

We lose salt through our kidneys when we low carb so some supplementation can be required to avoid fatigue, headaches, etc.

Obviously see your health care professional but it's something to bear in mind.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Surely you could ask them to just put in a container minus the bread?? Seems a waste just to get bread and then bin it!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Subway will make any sub as a salad. They are damn good. Your salad lists at 1080mg sodium since it was brought up.

I do not quite buy their nutrition info as they say a veggie delite salad has 44 carbs with 5G of fiber
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in Australia and they have salad plates that they can put anything you ask for on it. For a fast food option it's not too bad :)
  • mensasu
    Options
    Subway will make any sub as a salad. They are damn good. Your salad lists at 1080mg sodium since it was brought up.

I do not quite buy their nutrition info as they say a veggie delite salad has 44 carbs with 5G of fiber

6" is 1080mg sodium, foot long like OP states would be over 2000. And yes I know not everyone needs to worry about sodium.:ohwell: Maybe in a while my doctor will stop bugging me about it and I can indulge in a Subway salad.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hhhmmm I can see that on the US Subway page but the UK one doesn't display it. Might be different in shop.

TBH I'm happy to just buy the sub, stuff salad in it and dump it on a plate, discarding the sub.

Why do that and waste bread? If you just have them make it as a salad instead of a sub, you'll get more veggies.
  • wfte
    Options

I think for some reason they're still counting the bread. If you go to customise it drops the carbs down to a more realistic level.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been to different UK branches of Subway and they all serve their fillings as salad. They have special boxes for that reason. Never been a big deal.
    On another similar note I just had a mexican salad with braised chicken, guacamole, grated cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, sour cream and chilli from Benito's hut in London, yummy and low carb. Had to just tell the server to skip the beans and rice. He dumped a load of tortilla chips before I could object-just gave them to my friend.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In some places in the US there is a sub chain called Jimmy Johns. I just discovered their Unwich. They basically take a sub and wrap it in lettuce instead of using bread. My lunch, the Bootleggers Club (roast beef, turkey and cheese) came in at 342 calories and 4 grams of carbs! (actual carbs, not net carbs) And, they deliver to my workplace!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to try ordering a salad for the first time during rush hour, go early for breakfast and keep it for lunch, I find you get more veggies and better service :) You can also double meat or double cheese in any salad, just like a sub. Beware the not-meats though, some of their meat is not meat, it's that pressed crap with filler in it and a high carb count.

Salt doesn't affect everyone's blood pressure, if you're getting leg cramps or "carb flu", have some salt :)
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I'm in the US so could be different in your neck of the woods but you get a larger salad if you order the sandwich as a salad vs. dumping sandwich contents into a bowl. They tend to give you more veggies like lettuce and tomato, etc., and the same amount of meat and cheese. So in the ones I visit, it's worth it to order a salad rather than a sandwich and toss the bun.