Is building muscle easier with less bodyfat?

Options
FormerMarine1
FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
I am at around 20% BF right now & I have heard that T levels are lower with a higher BF%. If I were to get to 10% BF, would I be able to put on lean mass easier? My height is 5'8", I weigh 224 & my lean bodyweight is 180. I am working on fat loss now while maintaining lean body weight. I am 44 years of age & need every edge possible. Please help

Ed

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's neccessarily easier at a lower bodyfat, but I find that it's easier to eat at a surplus and gain weight if you're leaner/lighter.
    You can keep getting bigger and stronger with 20% bodyfat, but things starting getting a little sloppy looking in the 20s. I usually get close to 12 or so, then bulk up to around 20.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Yeah oestrogen levels are higher in men with higher body fat and testosterone levels lower. Your not exactly obese though and I wouldn't of thought it would make a big difference at only 20% BF.

Just keep working out and eat healthy and your body fat will drop while your gaining muscle if your calories are about right.

Check this site for calorie and muscle gain calculator along with some other useful advice :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Calculator are in fitness tools.
  • silentnemesis
    silentnemesis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    just a reminder, without fats (healthy AND unhealthy fats that is) your body will not produce more T. you need your fats. fish oil can contribute to healthy fats
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Calculator are in fitness tools.

lol. scooby cracks me up
  • FormerMarine1
    Options
    I went on the website & it was helpful. Thank you.
  • FormerMarine1
    Options
    How many mgs of fish oil do I need a day?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am at around 20% BF right now & I have heard that T levels are lower with a higher BF%. If I were to get to 10% BF, would I be able to put on lean mass easier? My height is 5'8", I weigh 224 & my lean bodyweight is 180. I am working on fat loss now while maintaining lean body weight. I am 44 years of age & need every edge possible. Please help

Ed
    im not sure but it may be a myth that t levels r lower with higher bf%. correlation not equaling causation. its probably that men with high t levels have an easier time getting leaner. men with lower t levels tend to have lower muscle mass and higher bf%,
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Yeah he's well funny lol