Nuts for those on induction

Options
zynx1234
zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
So I am trying to get back to ketosis. How do you all feel about nuts? I was trying to stay away from them as they are quite high in carbs and take up too much of my daily amount but then I found sunflower seeds at trader joes and I bought some of those. I thought they would be better as some where I had read that seeds were better than nuts... but no.... I think I am going to try to be closer to atkins induction with a clean eating attitude. I threw away my sugar free chocolates and jello yesterday after figuring that I was really just sabotaging myself with them.... but I dont wanna *wines* throw away my nuts!

Replies

• mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    "It is preferable that you do not eat nuts or seeds during induction. It is preferable that most of the 20 grams of carbs. that you eat during the induction phase come from salad greens and other non starchy vegetables."

from this site http://www.everythingatkins.net/inductionphase.html

save them for after induction when they are allowed in small quantities
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am very familiar with the Atkins diet since it was my first exposure to the notion that meat and fat are good for our bodies. I think Dr. Atkins was definitely going in the right direction; however, I am not in complete agreement with every aspect and can not support the company due to the foods that they choose to market. I eat close to an induction level of carbs all the time because I like to for my health, but I do eat nuts. Mostly I eat walnuts and macadamias because I think they are best.

Personally, I would keep the nuts, if they work for you, but I wouldn't consume them at the expense of vegetables. Many people can enter ketosis at higher carb levels than 20g. I'm in ketosis every day and my carbs go from 20g and over 30g (deduct fibre) sometimes.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would avoid for 2 weeks while you get back into ketosis. I was curious as to why they were restricted, reasons given is they still have carbs and are moreish-so hard to control how much you eat.
    Going into ketosis is a very personal thing I eat more cheese than recommended and it works but avoiding nuts at the moment until I have sustainable weight loss.
  • zynx1234
    Options
    I am trying to fine tune my diet. It kinda sucks making all this effort and not seeing the scale move. And at the same time it is most likely not moving cause I not doing it right. Either by lying to myself that the sugarfree chocolate is not gonna hurt... or eating more nuts than I should.. and as great as I feel... I WANNA SEE THAT DAMN SCALE MOVE..... it sucks to be this restrictive.... uGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You need to stop focusing on it being "restrictive" and focus on all the things you can eat and what you can do with them.
  • zynx1234
    Options
    But the diet is restrictive. I have been at it for 3 months now and I am making every effort to adjust adjust adjust so that I can be successful. I am learning new reciepes and new thing to eat all the time. and I am trying to figure out what exactly is causing my stall so that I can improve.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you find the diet "too restrictive" then it's not going to work for you. Even if you eventually lose all the weight, you will gain it all back later. I think you need to find an eating plan that works for you on all levels. If we don't enjoy what we are eating, how can we make a permanent lifestyle change?

That's why I suggested not giving up nuts. I'm in ketosis, maintain low carb (sometimes as low as induction) and I eat nuts. Not every day, and never lots. Always weighed, always raw, always unsalted (I'll overeat them if they are salted).

Perhaps a low carb paleo or primal eating plan may work better for you? It's very similar anyway.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should look into changing things slightly. The same diet doesnt work for everyone. I eat nuts every day and I still loose weight.
    By your diary it looks like are eating pretty well and seems strange that you arent dropping more on the scales?
    I also think if you are finding it restrictive that isnt right, its important to enjoy what you eat and not feel like you are missing out.
  • zynx1234
    Options
    Maybe you should look into changing things slightly. The same diet doesnt work for everyone. I eat nuts every day and I still loose weight.
    By your diary it looks like are eating pretty well and seems strange that you arent dropping more on the scales?
    I also think if you are finding it restrictive that isnt right, its important to enjoy what you eat and not feel like you are missing out.

I think I have a really slow metablolism coupled with my completely seditary life. And it sounds like an excuse but I have three kids and work 10+ hrs a day. Excersize has been the last thing I think about. So I think I may need to move more and eat less. I am happy with the eating I dont think restrictive is bad. I dont wanna go back but I do notice it. I am the only low carber in the family so I still have to cook. Its noticeable when everybody else gets cheesy beans and I dont. But I am good for the most part about not binging or indulging too much. Ugh. I feel so much better than when I was a carb *kitten* I dont ever want to go back to that again.

I also want to give up dairy and see if that is an issue. From the Primal boards I read that dairy and nuts were the most common weight loss issue for females, which is why I switched to seeds. Well I will keep tweaking and trying.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    its amazing what you can do with the list of foods allowed during induction...i was at a loss first...then i would hunt of recipes with those ingredients and swap out the ones i couldnt have in the regular recipes...and i really had FUN!!
    its true...you have to make it work for you...and its not like the foods are yucky or anything...its totally yummy!!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. When I cut down my carbs, I didn't do Atkins, but I went 20g a day. I always ate nuts - almonds and pecans. Never had a problem getting into ketosis One serving of almonds is 2 net carbs and is filling... I wonder why Atkins has it on the no no list? Interesting!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I never had nuts while on induction, but I do now once in a while. I don't overdo it, though, because of the calories.

I have made my own almond flour for baking. I was making alot of zucchini bread for the family so I wanted a low-carb alternative for me, so I used almond flour. Yum. It's a nice treat, but I try not to do that too much because I could eat the whole loaf!!

Other than that, I'll have a handful of cashews once in a while. Love those!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    BTW, I saw your diary was open so I took a quick peak, hope that's OK.

It looks to me like you need to control your calories more if you want consistent weight loss. There's some things in there, like the sunflower seeds, avocados, coffees out etc that are really adding up. Maybe try having those in lower portions or cutting them out all-together.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you've come out of ketosis, I recommend skipping nuts, fruit, sugar free stuff and making as much of your own food as possible with basic ingredients. You could be swapping out these for larger portions of lowcarb veggies. Keep this up until you're back into ketosis, and then add one thing back per week, so you can find what's kicking you out. Calories may not be what's holding you back, you may even need more. Some folks lose best on 3000 or even 4000, but lower carb and cleaner foods.

I noticed you're having an avocado every day almost, and while I love these, some of them are much higher in carbs than others (some are bigger too). Are yours smooth or bumpy on the outside? You might be having the higher carb one. You can also make an avocado go a lot further by mixing it with olive oil or a salad dressing.
  • zynx1234
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. i appreciate it. I guess I agree with the calories since I dont get much excersize.
    When I was on WW I had to reduce my points by 2 to get any results. So if I was supposed to get 30 I could only eat 28 to see the scale move. So maybe I need to adjust my calories goals....
  • mstorvik
    Options
    BTW, I saw your diary was open so I took a quick peak, hope that's OK.

It looks to me like you need to control your calories more if you want consistent weight loss. There's some things in there, like the sunflower seeds, avocados, coffees out etc that are really adding up. Maybe try having those in lower portions or cutting them out all-together.

From what I have found, you do not have to watch your calories while on a low carb diet. I once ate 1600 calories on low fat and lost nothing for months on end. Once I switched to low carb, I eat 2000+ calories a day and lose still. I've read from a lot of other people, too, that they no longer count calories. With that being said you also can't stuff yourself either! Although, how one can stuff themselves with too much fat is beyond me since it will make you feel ill. At least it does me. :)
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. i appreciate it. I guess I agree with the calories since I dont get much excersize.
    When I was on WW I had to reduce my points by 2 to get any results. So if I was supposed to get 30 I could only eat 28 to see the scale move. So maybe I need to adjust my calories goals....

You could always try this... but if you restrict yourself to where you're always hungry then I would advise against it. But then again, I'm not a doctor either :) haha! I know I am 5 foot 9 and I do workout 3 times or so a week at an intense level and I eat 2000 a day. I'm also a teacher and on my feet most of the day, too.

Looks like others say it's worth a shot, too: http://paleohacks.com/questions/118879/counting-calories-on-low-carb#axzz27qfYtM00
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Removing nuts from the induction period is as much about finding possible intolerances as it is limiting carbs. You may find that your body can't tolerate nuts, but in order to see how you react to them, you have to cut them out for a while. No one said you can't ever eat nuts again, just don't eat them right now. The first time I did induction, I found when I added peanuts back I got super bloated. If I hadn't cut them out, I'd never have known the reason I was bloated and gross feeling all the time was because of the peanut butter I was eating on my celery as a snack. So give it a try.. Nuts will still be around in a couple weeks when you decide to add them back.