Weight loss stall

Options
2»

Replies

• domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: If you're consuming a lot of fiber and/or sodium, you might need to up your liquid intake even MORE to get your bowels moving. I say liquid because water is BEST, but the important thing is to stay HYDRATED, so drink more of whatever you're willing to drink. Also, I'm not a huge advocate of medicine until it's really necessary, but I am an advocate of trying some different drinks/foods to help that department, such as coffee or a probiotic (yogurt, acidophilic (sp?) milk, and even some cottage cheese - look for "live cultures" on the package)

Also, I agree that muscle does not build that fast, but it could be lactic acid build-up and/or inflammation in the muscles due to this new stress. Once again, maximize your hydration to flush out the lactic acid. The inflammation will go away on its own; you can take an NSAID such as aspirin or ibuprofen to get rid of it faster, but I wouldn't recommend it (see note above about not being a huge medicine advocate) unless you're actually having pain.

Again, this is just my 2 cents, not an expert or anything. Good luck! :drinker:

I'm confused about why consuming a lot of fiber would stop your bowels from moving... wouldn't it have the opposite effect? (Although I seem to be having similar issues myself, and consume plenty of fiber, so what do I know?)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: If you're consuming a lot of fiber and/or sodium, you might need to up your liquid intake even MORE to get your bowels moving. I say liquid because water is BEST, but the important thing is to stay HYDRATED, so drink more of whatever you're willing to drink. Also, I'm not a huge advocate of medicine until it's really necessary, but I am an advocate of trying some different drinks/foods to help that department, such as coffee or a probiotic (yogurt, acidophilic (sp?) milk, and even some cottage cheese - look for "live cultures" on the package)

Also, I agree that muscle does not build that fast, but it could be lactic acid build-up and/or inflammation in the muscles due to this new stress. Once again, maximize your hydration to flush out the lactic acid. The inflammation will go away on its own; you can take an NSAID such as aspirin or ibuprofen to get rid of it faster, but I wouldn't recommend it (see note above about not being a huge medicine advocate) unless you're actually having pain.

Again, this is just my 2 cents, not an expert or anything. Good luck! :drinker:

Thanks a lot for responding!
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I did W5D1 today, and the scale has been going up and down since I started the c25k. From what I've found it's most likely a combination of muscle gain, muscle tears that have become inflamed, and/or water retention in your muscles. On the other hand, I also have been taking measurements and that has been going down a lot every week.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I really need to start measuring. I need to quit saying that and actually do it lol.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you have a weight lifting routine?
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Do you have a weight lifting routine?

No I don't.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Did you reset your MFP daily goals to take into account your activity level? If you're doing the C25K you're no longer sedentary, which was something I had trouble adjusting to. As for me, when I stalled and upped my daily calorie intake I got over the slump of no weight loss.

This still confuses me. OK -- the "sedentary" / "light" / "moderate" activity levels are used as a multiplier for BMR, to get you up to your total daily calorie usage, right? So, if we bump up our activity levels to correspond to a greater amount of exercise, why do we also eat back our exercise calories? Why isn't that 'double-counting' our calories burned due to exercise? :huh:

One of the things I picked up from the MFP that I use for a rule of thumb is that your activity level is basically what you do for a living. I sit in a desk all day so I consider myself sedentary. Helps me to be a little conservative in my goals. Not that it the right thing to do, it just happens to work for me. I exercise 6-7 days a week.
  • duckfloats
    Options
    Coming into this thread a little late. I just finished C25K last weekend, and have seen my first plateau during the past 3 weeks. Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and be patient.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    It's very frustrating. I decided to take a week off from the scales. Tomorrow will be my first weigh-in in two weeks. I'm actually feeling very good overall right now, so if the scale hasn't moved, I won't read too much into it.