anyone else irrationally scared?

Options
I've attempted a Whole30 before but I only made it to 15 days before a slump/downward spiral. I'm feeling not so confident in myself this time... especially because it's Halloween-month (candy everywhere!), and ESPECIALLY especially because I'm taking about 5 days off with the boyfriend for a mini vacation.

I am struggling with telling my boyfriend as well. Last time I did it I was very up front and asked him to be supportive, and although when he cooked he did comply for me, he still made comments like "really? Not even once?" and when I failed: "yeah, sure, next time."

I feel like I'm destined to flop at this.

How are you all coping with staying true to this? I want it, but I don't believe in myself (totally cheesy, I know).

Replies

• LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel - I'm not looking forward to potential plans with friends this month where I have to say I can't eat or drink something. Because a few friends have said "let's get together" and I know I will have to tell them something. I figure I will play it by ear because nothing definite has been planned so far. Luckily, your boyfriend is supportive and if you slip, don't beat yourself up about it.

I don't want to make it easy for you to not follow the plan as designed - but I also don't believe in being a nut-job about it. You have to enjoy your life and if you don't end up doing this Whole 30 as strict as others, you still stand to benefit with each time you try. Don't feel like a failure before you begin. There is no point is making a harsh judgement aout yourself, imo. Personally, I'd still want you in the group, even if you have to start "all over again" after your mini-vacation, etc. Or even if you eliminate a few of the food types but can't do it all. Your participation on whatever level you can do is still important. And if you still don't feel comfortable with that, then there's no obligation for you to do this right now. Myself and other group members are not going to make you wrong for any of it!!

I feel that each time you make an attempt it improves your health so just give it your best shot and let go of the fear. Last time I stuck with it but I had hidden carageen in some of my organic cold cuts so *officially* I failed from a purist standpoint but I still felt great.

I know how you feel. I'm not looking forward to having to navigate the social part. THere's so much social interaction created around around food and drink in our culture, it's a lot of pressure. I'd say "one day at a time" and who knows, maybe what tempted you last time won't be as big a deal when you get to it this time. And of course, there's no obligation at all so please don't feel pressured by me or anyone else!! I think that's a big part of the philosophy/inner strength you get through doing this. If you bend, it's because you wanted to, not because you wanted to please someone else. That sort of thing. Anyway, hope this helps!

Take care,
    Liza
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The way I feel about it is that I kindda intend to live that way anyway, so it is not like Whole 30 is some kind of a Big Deal. I also don't really give a fig about the dire psycho-crazy warnings on the W30 website how one drop is gonna DESTROY it all - again, because I don't intend to stop at 30 days. I also don't plan to enter paranoia stage about absolutely every thing (like: "Omigod, there is a 1/4 cup in the Worcestershire sauce that was used to marinate these 5 lbs of meat for the home-made jerky, I bet there is a trace of sugar on that piece" - forget that.)

I am simply eating what's the best for me, and most of the time I don't see a value in eating something else anyway. Surely not a crappy Halloween candy. I am worth more than a cheapo chocolate, I respect myself too much for consuming a Hershey kiss or similar low quality product. Eww.

Normally, the longer you go with a specific eating concept the more natural it becomes; the avoidance becomes a habit after a few months and the former favorites stop being tempting.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    thanks to both of you - LizaArg & LeidaPrimal - you've made me feel a bit better :)
    Your participation on whatever level you can do is still important.
    Totally true. I'm kind of feeling nervous because I want to be perfect, but ultimately I don't believe perfetion is the point, not for me. It's more improvement that I care about. Even if I, for whatever reason, did every-other-day perfect Whole30, that's still 15 days of clean eating that I can be proud of (not that I would actually do every-other-day, that would be bizarre...anyhoo, I'm sure you get my point)
    I also don't really give a fig about the dire psycho-crazy warnings on the W30 website how one drop is gonna DESTROY it all
    I agree here too. Although you appear to have better zen about this whole thing since you appear to be able to resist Hershey kisses while I ate three cookies yesterday >.< But yes, a trace of something will not and should not send me into my "downward spiral," it should be something to be mindful of, but not obsessed.

Thanks <3
  • nmg8
    nmg8 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am!!! I wish I was feeling more confident about this, but I have had a really bad couple of months food-wise and although I am so ready to get back on track I am worried about 1) feeling like crap for a week or two and 2) having to deal with all the social events coming up in October. BUT...I am tired of feeling tired and lazy, tired of not wanting to work out because I'm too exhausted, tired of the sugar roller-coaster that I'm on...all of which are directly a result of my eating habits lately. And I think it will be totally worth it!!!
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree here too. Although you appear to have better zen about this whole thing since you appear to be able to resist Hershey kisses while I ate three cookies yesterday >.

Zen is a good word for it. Actually, the mind always comes first when choice is made to eat or not to eat. I highly recommend Susan Albers books - she might not be on board with what healthy means exactly (I just substitute 'high fat' for 'high carb', lol), but she knoeth the workings of a woman's mind, I tell ya! And just gives you the skinny on how to think about food so it doesn't call you, trap you, overpower you... it's not the food, it's your own mind, and it is not that hard to figure it out once you know WHY. ANd she gives you the WHY! The 50 Most Common Diet Derailing Excuses & How to Outwit Them and How to Soothe Yourself Without Food - I recommend these books to ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE!

Wishing you all Nutritional Nirvana!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a little bit, but I am also going to go with the mind set that even if I am not 100% perfect, it is still better than what I normally eat. I think this plan is a lot easier than some of the other ones I have tried in the past because fruit is allowed. A lot of the little to no carb diets will not let you have fruit and that is where I seem to fail, because I get so bored and hungry that I cannot keep doing it. But my birthday is in 6 weeks and I want to lose as much weight and inches as I can before then, so I can feel great when I go out, so I am going to do my best to stick to the plan. I know I won't be following it too the t because I just cannot affor the organic stuff, but I think just cutting out refined carbs, dairy and sugar will help me a lot. I am also doing the 30 day shred from Jillian Michaels while I do this. I thin it will work out great for me.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am such a perfectionist, I think the only way I will grt through this without giving up is to be easy on myself. HOWEVER, I do intend to follow it strictly, but if I do mess up once, I won't scrap the whole thing. Kind of like with anything.

I'm going to map out a plan this morning, and I will make sure I have plenty of emergency foods around.
  • healthylife4kb
    Options
    I am nervous too. But I like how in the book, they emphasize that ultimately you choose what you put in your mouth. I figured better to try it this month than before the holidays hit completely with Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks...
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm scared that I'm just not gonna do it right. That probably sounds stupid, but I've been to tons of different paleo/primal websites and some of them have conflicting info about some things. Like almond milk...some say it's fine to have, others say no. But I'm drinking it so hopefully that's ok. I know I'll be fine with the meats and veggies but I'm worried about the seasonings I use and all that too. Guess I'm just gonna go for it and see what the results are!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm scared that I'm just not gonna do it right. That probably sounds stupid, but I've been to tons of different paleo/primal websites and some of them have conflicting info about some things. Like almond milk...some say it's fine to have, others say no. But I'm drinking it so hopefully that's ok. I know I'll be fine with the meats and veggies but I'm worried about the seasonings I use and all that too. Guess I'm just gonna go for it and see what the results are!

my understanding w/ almond milk is that it's okay if it's actually JUST almond milk- a lot of them have chemical preservatives, sweetners, etc. Just read your labels I think was the warning on it! :) Good luck to you!