Strenght training ideas

Options
lacaro1
lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
hey you all:)
As I want to speed up my metabolism and get more toned, I decided to finally (first time in my life) start doing some strenght training instead of only cardio. How do you girls do it? What do you do for your strenght training? I have absolutely no clue where to start..
Thanks!!

Replies

• jpiane
    Options
    I've always liked classes and now many gyms offer strength training related classes. If you are working out a gym, I'd recommend looking into that option.

If you are just working out on your own, a couple things to keep in mind.
    1) Make sure your technique is correct. A consultation with a personal trainer or if that is too pricy, watch videos and read the instructions on the machines. If you don't know how to use the machine or do an exercise, I've always found plenty of people are perfectly happy to give advice.
    2) Use the right amount of weight. Only you can judge how much weight you can safely use for an exercise, but if you can finish 3 sets without much trouble, consider using a heavier weight. If it's not hard, you won't get stronger
    3) Don't forget bodyweight exercises. Push-up, sit-ups & squats (and their many variations) are excellent ways to build strength. Add a medicine ball for an extra challenge. For ideas: http://goworkoutmom.com/2008/03/101-body-resistance-exercises-for-strength-training/

But, if classes are option for you, I'd consider that as a good place to start. I'm one of those people who wander up to the gym not knowing what to do without them.
  • jameson21
    jameson21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually use the gym and learn how each machine works. But my mom had the same questions and she liked the at home dvd's so she could learn the different techniques first. Also, she bought one of those exercise balls which came with a bunch of exercises. Using the exercise ball and your own body weight can tone up your muscles.

Hope that helps!