It starts with food(Dallas &Melissa Hartwig)

Options
Okay, so who read the book? I was doing quite fine with skipping breakfast, had my bulletproof coffee in the morning and I was never hungry till around Lunch.......or when my belly told me (hunger feeling) then I ate, not necessarily when the clock said it is 12. So now according to the book, I should have breakfast, so if I drink coffee, then I have to eat......otherwise don't drink the coffee. So what do you guys think about the book, do you believe everything they write? So today, I thought okay, I will eat, so I had Bacon and Eggs and a tomato........but with the bulletproof, yikes I only have 400 some calories left to eat for dinner, not sure if I like to be so restrictive, on another note....sweet potato, has anyone ever got a belly ache from a Sweet potato?

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love the book. But, it's also one perspective, not the only one.

Mark Sisson believes you eat when you're hungry. And dairy is OK if you're not lactose-intolerant.

I think you should do what works best for you.

I haven't done BP coffee in a while, but I think of it as a good alternative on days when I don't have time to cook/eat breakfast. I personally wouldn't drink it WITH a full breakfast... as you said, lots of fat and cals in one meal. But, I know there are others who do exactly that and are still losing weight.

Love sweet potatoes. No belly aches yet. But be sure it's fully cooked.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm about halfway through the book (really slow reader) and I haven't gotten to that part about breakfast. I really love my coffee and do just fine without breakfast but today I noticed that I was getting a headache in a meeting I was in. As soon as I ate around 1:00 pm, I felt a lot better. So I might try the idea of breakfast, even if it's just a hardboiled egg to see if I feel better.

I don't follow everything to a tee, just like caribougal said. I tend to play with what works, and typically don't even eat with a deficit on most days. I eat to hunger, and if that's more than my allotted 1600 calories a day, I don't really sweat it.

You might want to try tweaking your calories and eating to hunger without restriction of overall calories for a week to see how your body reacts, and if you continue to lose. When I did it, I didn't lose or gain, but another time I did it while on Whole30, I continued to lose over a lb a day eating close to 3000 calories a day, and almost 250 grams of fat.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have. Excellent book and have recommended it to others. Buy the kindle version for $9.99
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    good book. I believe them except for their stance on alcohol. :)

I encourage you to not try to count calories especially if you have a 600 calorie BP coffee. It will drive you silly. I'd rather you satiated than deprived.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Mike and the others have said above. Love the book, but it's not the end all be all. Do what works for you. I myself love black coffee so the BP coffee doesn't appeal to me. Focus on the quality of the food you are eating and then eat until you are full.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    In my mind, and my body agrees, Bulletproof coffee IS a breakfast. I still have a tendency to stick with my coffee and full fat cream most often. Sometimes a whey shake with coconut milk or almond mild or whatever (which I don't have until 10am or later). Too lazy in the morning and all I want is coffee and quiet time. lol

I'm not a big fan of breakfast; never have been. But now that I eat no grains, legumes, sugar, etc I can skip meals (intermittent fasting) and not be driven to binge at night. So I skip breakfast if I want to, or eat if I want to. No biggie.

I haven't read that book yet, but I'll add it to my wish list. I agree with other people commenting who say that books and other people's ideas are good resources, but not always the only way. I really do my own thing but call it primal/paleo/low carb etc just for ease of talking to others about it.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I loved the book, and I am starting the Whole30 on Monday as a challenge. I would start today but I have a few dairy things that I want to finish up. I am re-reading it now, it is so much to take in!!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Loved the book, found it very interesting and common-sense. I'm now on Day 19 of the Whole 30 at the moment and feel fantastic!

I've struggled with the no alcohol, as I love a few glasses of red wine every week! My issue is that my "few" tend to turn into quite a few :drinker: I also love my 85% dark chocolate, but I figured it wouldn't kill me to go without it for a month just to see what happens. I've been eating 100% cocoa with berries and/or kiwi fruit and coconut milk instead for a nice sweet treat.
    FYI - Frozen blueberries sprinkled with cocoa and some coconut milk poured over tastes divine...the coconut milk sorta "sets" like ice cream on the berries.

I've dropped a pants size in the 19 days, I've noticed a big difference in the size of my stomach/waist. My weigh-in/body fat measurement after the 30 days (for curiosity's sake) will be interesting to see...
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    LOVE the book!!! Lost 15 lbs on my first Whole 30 challenge (lasted 26 days..)
    I believe its like anything designed to enrich your life...take what works for you and take the rest with a grain of salt. I treat my heavy coconut milk, butter and coffee concoction as my breakfast. I am not hungry in the am so I dont tend to eat much. I have a hearty brunch of eggs and tomatoes or spinach then dont plan to eat until dinner time which is late for us (7:00 pm normally) I dont buy into "dont eat after 6pm..."

Never got a tummy ach from sweet potatoes =)
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    LOVE the book.

I agree with Mike. Don't count cals. They actually talk about that. If you want your bulletproof coffee AND actual food than do that but don't worry about calorie counts. Just listen to your body and eat again when your hungry!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys......great thoughts, it kind of reflects how I feel to do my own version, however.....I have to finish reading the book and I think we are so obsessed with calorie consumption on eating to many. I will do whole 30 again, but I don't see why I need to cut the Butter.........that is the one thing I so love, and Ghee is not quite the same. I can do without the Alcohol no problem. I would love not having to count the calories, I know with my lunch today I actually ate till I was full, and was not able to finish, and that was with 1 Egg and 1 Slice of pea meal bacon for breakfast, so maybe there is some truth to the leptin thinggy.