Question about rest days

Options
Jaybew99
Jaybew99 Posts: 22 Member
Hi, I'm new here.

I just started the program last night. I understand that the rest days are important, but does that mean that you shouldn't do any exercise? Can I do strength training on my rest days? For some reason, doing this program for 30 minutes 3times a week doesn't seem like it would be enough for my overall fitness.

Any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks!

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Definitely! In fact, I think you'll find strength training will end up helping with your runs.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do strength training or yoga on my rest days and some light cardio on the elliptical. Just don't push yourself too hard when it comes to cardio or legs or you will be struggling during your next run.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes do other exercise on your rest days but make sure it's something that doesn't push the same muscles you use for running as those muscles need time to rest and repair before your next run. I do a walk and pilates on my rest days.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said light exercises on the cardio and strength training, squatting will really help with your legs
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. I exercise normally 4-5x a week. So, now, I do C25K 3x a week, and strength training 2x a week, with 2 rest days (where I do veryyyy mild yoga sometimes). Hope that helps!
  • Jaybew99
    Jaybew99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I will do strength at least twice a week on rest days.