Opting to count my calories instead of surgery

Options
Hello ! I am new to mfp but not new to the task of trying to lose weight. I need to lose at least 300 pounds. I know I can do it if I just have someone to help encourage me along the way. A very dear friend turned me on to mfp and I am so glad she did. I was just approved for the gastric bypass surgery and in fact am suppose to have it on October 16th, but my son is very much against me having it because of the risks that are involved for me. I am prone to blood clots and that is the number one killer of gastric patients. So, I decided to go on this journey by just counting my calories. I know I can do it because I did it before. In 2009 I lost 107 pounds by counting my calories. I ate anything I wanted but just did not go over 1500 calories a day. It worked very well for me. I felt great, it was plenty of food, and the weight just melted off. My downfall was that Thanksgiving came along, I got off the diet, and never stopped. But I didn't know about these types of websites back then so there was really no way to put down my thoughts and have people give me that "kick in the butt" I needed to stay on track. Well, this time it is going to be different. Because I am tired of being stuck in the house day and night. You see, I havent even been grocery shopping in over 3 years. I rarely get out of the house because I am confined to my chair or bed because it is so hard to walk. I am 57 years old and I know I have to either do this or die. I know that sounds drastic but it is true. So, If you would like to be a "cheerleader" for me on this journey, I appreciate any and all the help I can get. I am in this for my life and I just cant afford to fail...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• KayeArlana
    KayeArlana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can do this. We all can do this! I need to lose at least 200 pounds myself and have been going back and forth about surgery for the last few years and decided it's not the right thing for me. Feel free to add me as a friend--we can support each other!
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I would love to encourage you along your way. I have about 180 lbs to loose. I've dropped 56 so far this year. I was doing low carb high protein but this summer, I put myself back by not sticking to my plan. I started back on 9/17 doing South Beach and lost 13 lbs the 1st week. I'm doing pretty good on it.

Best of luck and prayers to you on your journey.
  • rawebe
    rawebe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd be delighted to be your MFP buddy. I usually get time to only record food, but rarely can chat. I can do my best to help you. I have a goal to lose about 120 more pounds. I've lost right at 100 by just calorie counting. I too was told to have bariatric surgery or die. I have probelms with anathesia, so I decided to calorie count. I've been on my journey since May 2011. I too have lost and gained a 100+ pounds. We can do this!
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Avoiding gastric bypass is a good thing I think. It is a tool. One that can help some people for certain. But it does have bad things about it too. It is a major medical intervention not to be taken lightly.

Either way a person has to make the life changes and really and truly be dedicated to get it done. I commend you for stepping away so close to a potential surgery. I don't know if I would have had the strength that close and after jumping through all of the approval hurdles. I have thought about the surgery off and on for a few years, and I know it can be quite hard to get it approved. However, I can't make myself go in that direction either. I still have respect for those who do and are able to use it for good.

I started off with needing to lose 210, and I am down 29 lbs so far, so I also have a long way to go as well. I am more determinded that ever before in my life and I will do it this time. Too much is at stake not to.

Anyone may feel free to add me as a friend too. We all need to support and encourage one another as best as possible. And yes, MFP is an awesome help to keep us on track even if we have a bad day. It is easier to get back on the wagon, so to speak. LOL

Blessings,
    Eleanor
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First off, WELCOME!!!

Secondly, you've made the right decision. I'm not going to tell you that surgery is a bad thing. However, I will share that I had Gastric Banding about 8 years ago. I was successful at first and dropped probably 75 pounds. I then gained it all back. The problem that I had was that even though I couldn't eat as much, I still thought like a "Fat Man". And I quickly found that if I sat at the table long enough I could eat as much as I used to. Honestly, there was no support for the mental addiction to food that most of us have. I know people that have been very successful after bariatric surgery. For me, I can honestly say that I wish I never had it.

Ok enough of the doom and gloom. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you have made right decision. I have lost 78 pounds since Easter. Take it VERY slow and learn from every experience. If you're not as successful in a week as you thought you'd be sit down and review your logs. Think about what went on that week and see if you can find something different to do (i.e. did you react to stress by eating? If so, what else could you have done?) I always thought that there was some sort of a secret to weight loss that my skinny and fit friends knew that I didn't. Come to find out there's no secret. It's simply a matter of paying attention and practicing self control.

If you would like to add me as a friend by all mean feel free to. I promise to accept it and I promise to support you.

Regardless I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your journey! We're all here to save our lives. Use us all, this is a GREAT group of people!