shin splints

Options
I'm on day 7 and I'm starting to get shin splints. This happened last time I did the shred too. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to make them feel better ?

Replies

• 08AmandaC
    08AmandaC Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 and I'm starting to get shin splints. This happened last time I did the shred too. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to make them feel better ?

Never heard of shin splints but does it involve excruciating pain???! Have really been suffering since starting the 30 ds.

Advice.....Anyone......please???? xxx
  • 08AmandaC
    08AmandaC Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    just had a quick glance on the net - ice packs/ pain killers/ rest ..... am sure it will get easier and less painful!!!
  • JulieMTiffany
    Options
    Yes it's a sharp pain on your lower leg. I've read that icing your legs every couple hours, having the correct shoes, stretching, and tylenol helps. I always get them. I'm wondering if I have flat feet and are more prone to them. Last time it took about 2 weeks for it to heal up and not hurt anymore.
  • smittenkitten4
    Options
    having the correct shoes

THIS. If you can't get measured and fitted at a sporting goods store at least get insoles, preferably the Dr. Scholl's kind where you stand on the machine and it analyzes how you stand and tells you which ones are right.
  • mcapone67
    mcapone67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time when I was an athlete in college. Here is my advice: before you start, stretch your legs/shins. You can raise yourself on your toes and back down. Also stand 1/2 way on a step and raise and lower your body, to stretch your calves. You will also need to ice your shins after you exercise. If that still doesn't help, try taping (using exercise tape) your legs.

Hope this helps - if you need more instructions from me please send me a message and I can give you further details.

Good Luck