Staple meals and emergency foods?

Options
Merci444
Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
I was wondering if anyone has planned out any emergency meals (meals to reach for in convenience when you are tired or in a hurry and tempted to have something off plan.

I was thinking I'd have hard boiled eggs ready and always keep chicken and salad makings around, but that sounds boring and I'd love to get some ideas :)

Replies

• MizMelis26
    MizMelis26 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have meals ready in bulk in the freezer for convenience (of course by the end of this week, i'll have enough variety and enough meals for the whole month of october lol)
    I always keep eggs handy, bell peppers, mushrooms and big lettuce leafs for a quick lettuce wraps. Although in just about a week, I'm going to have a crazy amount of Turkey leftovers lol, so were going to have a lot of turkey this month lol.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on prepping some stuff this evening that I can make in "bulk" (for one person bulk is a generous term):

roasted veggies - sweet potato, cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers
    cauliflower puree (my favorite stinkin thing ever, I can eat a whole head and not be sick of it)
    baked chicken breasts
    hard boiled eggs
    mini fritattas (baked in a muffin pan, for quick breakfasts)

I've also got some tuna on hand (it was unreasonably hard to find a kind that did not contain soy in some fashion!!! but I finally did) and some canned pumpkin (I've been known to eat that plain with just some cinnamon.. cause I'm a weirdo)
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    is the canned pumpkin good with just cinnamon? i've been tempted to try that for breakfast.

i just made a big pot of butternut and pumpkin squash soup that I plan on having for lunches this week.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    On this note, aside from having healthy cooked and easy to fix foods on hand, isn't there one type of Lara bar that is allowed? Where did I see that?

It would be nice for the days at work where I am behind and have to eat while talking with my clients.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always have boiled eggs, home made turkey jerky and/or all natural ham, and canned sardines, tuna and wild salmon on hand (when I have to have a protein fix FAST). To add to this, there are soaked, dehydrated and frozen nuts, raw organic cheese, coconut milk and creamed coconut (when I want tea with sweets). Finally there is always fresh cabbage, sea salt and balsamic vinegar when I need a salty crunch.

My house is stuffed with emergency foods for every craving and occasion!.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm going grocery shopping this morning after my workout. I did hear that lara bars were ok so I was going to stock up on those for quick snacks or breakfasts.
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    These ideas are great! I often make the boiled eggs and chicken breasts - they are easy to grab as needed. I also relied on nuts A LOT last time - maybe more then I should have but it worked out ok. I always have pre-washed salad greens in the fridge and try to have some protein that is cooked already, along with homemade salad dressing (olive oil and lemon juice with various spices). I also really love raspberries/blueberries so I try to keep those on hand for any sweet tooth cravings.

I should try making egg muffins (basically eggs with veggies) - it is much more fun then just eggs!

Don't know re: Lara bars but of you find out which one/s let us know!
  • onceabyrne
    onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I make a double-batch of something... soup, chili, etc. and then I freeze in one cup portions. I've been eating Paleo/Primal since mid-July so everything I have in my freezer is already Whole30 compliant. Perfect for when I don't plan. I also ALWAYS have avocados on hand and frozen vegetables. Avocados go great with soooo many things (avocado + tuna; avocado + steak + eggs; avocado + chili; avocado + chicken).
  • singoldsby
    singoldsby Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my newest go to meal - I eat it at least once a week right now. So easy, filling, and good!
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/04/turkey-lettuce-wrap-tacos-with-chiles.html
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is my newest go to meal - I eat it at least once a week right now. So easy, filling, and good!
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/04/turkey-lettuce-wrap-tacos-with-chiles.html

Thanks! I am going to try this for dinner!!
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Now that I have a moment, I can maybe list our staple meals. I am kindda on the rails, because of what we load in the freezer from the farms and whole sale & don't want to eat the same thing day in/day out.

Our staples are:
    Meatzzas, meatballs or burgers. Made with the same dairy free, bread free meat 'dough'. Usually I do one thing one night, and the other thing the next night from the same batch of meat 'dough'. Until we run out of ground beef and pork portions of our cow/pig

Borscht. I make a huge pot of stock from beef soup bones, and then a huge pot of borscht and everyone is happy as it gets better when it ages.

Pork Roast. We got gazillion shoulder, leg, hocks etc pieces of pork with out pig, so making a crackling topped roast is pretty easy.

Roast chickens. I dry roast two at a time, and the whole family digs in with glee.

Whole wild salmon. My daughter doesn't eat fish unless it is a whole fish. When sockeye was on sale in season I loaded up a bunch of fishes into the freezer, so we are still making a huge baked salmon every two weeks or so (I wrap the fish in parchment).

Shrimp skewers. My kiddo loves nothing more than baby tomato and shrimp skewers.

While we have beef roasts, I make a slow-cooker beef roast all the time.

Curried liver. I love liver. We get tons with both pork and beef. My husband is okay with a curry that has liver.

Roasted turkey drumsticks. I use turkey breast for home made jerky, the rest of it for bone broth, and the drumsticks I roast separately because my kiddo LOVES those. Dino bones!

Squasheroni and cheese. My child can eat that every day and goes berserk whenever she sees a spaghetti squash in the store. Lately she was asking me to bake something in a pumpkin or a squash 'as in a bowl'. I am getting to it, honest.

Side staples: fresh salsa; steamed veggie mix; asparagus (unfortunately, you can't turn your back on that one, because the kiddo goes through a pound of it in 5 min) ; Brussels sprouts roasted with drippings, OMG! Same for fresh cabbage, steamed and then roasted with butter or drippings; roast eggplant or zucchini chips. For my folks I love making roast root veggies in drippings from pork or chicken or beef - whatever is accumulated in the bottom of the broiler pan!

In the past three weeks we all developed an addiction to baked brie with herbs and sun-dried tomatoes and sunflower seeds. Well, last time it was camambert. Basically the fanciest soft cheese on sale. So, Saturday night dinner is baked cheese with crudites. Mom's easy night.
  • b1t3m3
    b1t3m3 Posts: 47
    Options
    mini fritattas (baked in a muffin pan, for quick breakfasts)

love this idea! thanks!
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I make a double-batch of something... soup, chili, etc. and then I freeze in one cup portions. I've been eating Paleo/Primal since mid-July so everything I have in my freezer is already Whole30 compliant. Perfect for when I don't plan. I also ALWAYS have avocados on hand and frozen vegetables. Avocados go great with soooo many things (avocado + tuna; avocado + steak + eggs; avocado + chili; avocado + chicken).

Yes, I am an avocado fanatic as well - I eat at least one a day an still not sick of 'em. My daughter loves them too!