Remicade

Options
Anyone on Remicade? How are you feeling after being on it?
Is it just me or weight loss reduces once you are in remission after a flare-up?

Replies

• vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My docs made it sound llike an automatic cure, but it didn't work for me. It's certainly worth a try.
  • fab_ridz
    fab_ridz Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks for your response!! =)
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Don't want to be negative, but really messed my mom up 2yrs ago, took over a yr to get out of her system. Lost hair ( had to buy a wig). Gave her medicine induced lupus, sores all over her body looked like cigg burns.became bedridden pretty much, It was definately terrible for her system. Ask your doc if they can run a blood test to see if is compatible with your system, that doc didn't do that for her, now she's on wk 3 of imiran, they test her blood and so far so good, good luck, hope u feel better.
  • chefsusan
    chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I start on it tuesday the 21st. We will see how it goes. I have done the asacol, imuran, apriso, and I would be in remission for a while, but I am out of it and Doc put me on remicade. Praying that it works well to put me back in remission.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Fab - I'm on it. I gained a lot of weight when I first went on Remicade. I think it was mostly due to the fact that I was also prednisone for the first few months, but I also think it was an aftereffect of the flare I'd lost something like 15 pounds really quickly during the flare so I'm sure my body just flipped on some "disaster mode" switch. I had intense cravings for meat (which I don't even like normally) and was hitting McD's at least once a day. It settled down after a few months though. I don't seem to have problems losing weight now (knock on wood).

Good luck ChefSusan! I'm one of the ones that it worked really well for - in less than a week I was nearly back to normal.
  • fab_ridz
    Options
    I had a very bad flare-up in Feb this year and prednisone and IV steroids was not working on me. I had lost some 20 lbs. I was put on Imuran and Remicade. It took time for me to get better (3-4 infusions). I had gained 5 pounds back and currently am trying to lose weight. I find it very difficult losing weight. Don't know if my body is still in shock and does not want to let go of the fat just incase I get sick again. Just wanted to know if it is difficult for you guys to lose weight after a bad flare-up.
    Rivka - I hate the way prednisone makes you gain weight :( Since 2009 Prednisone has made me put on about 40-60 lbs. It really sucks and I am having a hard time losing weight. I wonder if you could give me any tips? (if you dont mind)
    ChefSusan - Good luck with your 1st Remicade infusion. Hope it works for you.
    Debbie - I haven't had any major reaction to Remicade (thank God) And, I do hope your mom is doing well now though.
  • chefsusan
    Options
    Rivka- Glad the remicade worked well for you so quickly. Hoping for the quick result also. lol
    Fab- It is extremely hard for me to lose the weight also. I am in my upper 40's-that may be one problem, not able to eat
    real healthy is another. It gets really frustrating at times.
    trying to walk when I can. I found a way the other day so that I can at least walk for a while on the tread mill without it
    being to bad. And with my dd gone to school, I can do it in peace. ha
  • rivka_m
    Options
    I wish I had tips but I spent so long just eating bland stuff like pasta & cheese (and I put a LOT of cheese on my pasta!) and I'm just getting the weight off now. I have a coworker with UC, also on prednisone, and she says walking helps her a lot. Right now I'm still trying to find a balance - I'm not eating enough right now I think.

Can you fool your stomach with more vegetables/fruits without causing yourself problems? That didn't work for me before but it seems to be working now.

Susan - definitely take a book or something! And I'm always tired after the infusion, which is apparently very common. I'm OK by the next day though.
  • fab_ridz
    Options
    Susan - I know how you feel. During flare-ups I can hardly do any exercises - at most I would walk for a short amount of time.
    But right now I have been doing the elliptical, cycling and some weights and things are going fine. I guess I am more active during the school year. Once nursing school starts in Sept. I will be more active and hopefully burn more calories and lose more weight. Let me know how your infusion goes. I agree with rivka - I feel tired after the infusion and usually just take a nap when I get home from the clinic!

Rivka - I am no longer on prednisone. Walking helped me to get some endurance back. Now I do the elliptical nad cycling mostly. I cannot eat certain vegetables like spinach, lettuce (basically all leafy veggies) that are raw... I haven't tried juicing them yet...But yeah trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies in my diet. Staying away from pasta...I too used to eat pasta and drink sugary coffee drinks. But I quit that and eat more healthy now and try to fool my stomach :P
  • chefsusan
    Options
    Well, I have had two infusions of the remicade. I am doing SO much better now. I have been so busy that I haven't had time to sit down much at the computer. HA I actually worked a full day yesterday, which is a big deal because I am a substitute teacher.

I was really suprised at how well I did. I didn't have to run to the bathroom or anything. I sure slept well last night also. HA

I go see my gi doc on thursday. I am hoping he will take me off of the immuran and the asacol. That will take 15 pills out of my daily pill box.

I have felt tired, of course, I was doing it during the lunch time for me, so I felt bad anyway afterward until I was able to eat. Even eating snacks during the infusion helped a little. My next appointment is after lunch this time and later in the day.

Rivka-I hadn't thought about juicing my veggies. Does that work for you? I know that I need to eat better, I am anemic, and I know that part of the reason is that I am not eating the proper food to get my nutrients, Yes, I am on vitamins, etc. but I think it would be best to get them through the right food.
  • fab_ridz
    Options
    Hey Susan! Glad you are doing much better on Remicade :)
    Chances are that your GI may keep you on Imuran but take you off of asacol
    But Less meds is always good.
  • rivka_m
    Options
    I'm glad you're doing better! (I wonder if that's why my place has snacks - I hadn't thought about it!)

I hadn't mean juicing, actually, I meant eating lots of veggies to fool my stomach into thinking it's had a huge meal. I can only really do that since I'm in remission though. Juicing seems like a really good idea if you can't handle the fiber. You can still get all the other good stuff. I'll have to think about that if my stomach starts reacting badly to fiber again.

I was never on Imuran but my doc took me off everything else once it was clear the Remicade was working. I was scared to wean off the prednisone to be honest. Every time my tummy rumbled I'd worry I was going to flare again. But I was OK.
  • jovigirl26
    Options
    Hi, :smile:

I've been on REMI for a little over a year now. It hasnt cured me but it has helped me from not having to run to the bathroom constantly. I do have my days still that I have to make many runs but I can hold it and not be afraid of having an accident.
    I've had UC FOR 24 YRS NOW. Its been a long road but I'm hoping the REMI continues to show improvement for me in the long run. I am on imuran and pantasa as well still to help with the imflimation.
    Feel free to add me we can chat more in the future.

TO GOOD HEALTH

Donna :happy:
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Hey guys, so far I've been on prednisone for 2 months, and have actually lost 2 lbs. Now I know everyone’s different, but I think there are definite ways to avoid gaining weight while on the dreaded pred. For one it makes you super hungry, the key to dealing with this is to have good self control. Everyone I've talked to that gained a lot of weight on the stuff, seemed to just eat so bad. Like eating everything in sight. Even e few of you stated you ate micky d's everyday, or pasta with cheese, I think that has more to do with weight gain then the actual pred. Sure it made you hungry, but it didn't make you make poor food choices.

Second usually when your put on pred, your going through a bad flare, so you may not have the energy to workout, add in the food cravings, and if you give into not doing any workouts or eating bad, then of course you will gain weight, regardless if you’re on pred or not.

Finally, the water retention it causes. There really isn't a way to avoid this side effect. I just drank lots of water, hoping that it would flush out of my system quickly. I also worked out and tried to sweat as much as I could.

Again, if you gained weight I'm not here trying to bash you of course. I know everyone is different, and I'm sure it does cause tons of weight gain in some people. But I also think some use it as an excuse on why they gained the weight, instead of looking at what they may of been putting into their body while on it. I know I made an effort to eat even better while on it, and tried my best to eat less calories. I had my days where I would just be snacking all day, or would breakdown and eat something pretty bad, but most days were good, and I really haven't seen much negative in the weight department. Now the other side effects that's a different story.