Introduce Yourself

Options
I am a 45-year-old mom of 2 teenagers. I want to lose 60 pounds. I am done with "diets," though. I am going to focus on thinking positive and taking steps each day to become more healthy and fit, so that it becomes a lifestyle that I can maintain for life. Approaching it in this way, I do believe the weight loss will eventually follow, but it will not be my primary focus.

I was not always heavy. I was actually normal size as a child, teen, and younger adult, but always thought I was "fat." Now, I would do anything to get back to that "normal" size! I know I can do it, and this time around, I am committed to making positive changes in both mind and body that I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Please join me on this exciting journey to healthier living! I look forward to witnessing lots of support, motivation, and encouragement in this group. We are all in this together, so let's focus on the positive and ENJOY the journey!!! :smile:

Replies

• plasmatv
    plasmatv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 55 and a mother to a boy and a girl and have 4 wonderful grandkids. I want to lose some weight so that I'll be around to watch their life milestones. You are so right about it being 'mind over body'. I did Weight Watchers a while back and it did work. But the secret was maintaining the mindset that I wanted the healthier weight more than I wanted whatever temptation was in front of me. Of course having a buddy for the journey helped immensely too. It's good to know you're not alone. Be strong!
  • DonnaAnn64
    DonnaAnn64 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 48yrs old...and needed to lose at least 60 lbs. I not only need to lose weight, I am changing how I approach food, and diet. . Each day,, each meal.. I was always looking for the quick fix, fad diet. and they have occasionally worked, but I always gain the weight back...
    I think I have always had a distorted self body image?.. I would kill to be 130lbs again...but ..I remember even at that weight, feeling and thinking I had a fat butt , ...wow!!

I am taking a healthy approach to my weight loss , I am eating healthy, cutting down on portion sizes. Im trying not to eat any processed food, and no sugar. I dont feel deprived either...and its rubbing off on my family too. I have come to realize I am an emotional eater , and any emotion will do... happiness, stress, lonlieness, you name it.

I am looking forward to this new outlook, and my commitment to better health.
  • plasmatv
    plasmatv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's funny!:happy: I am an emotional eater too.
  • DonnaAnn64
    Options
    haha I even catch myself saying to my Hubby, when I lose 30 lbs. .lets go for dinner at ...? .or after I lose this bulk of the weight I want to eat a ....??
    .I really need to be setting rewards for myself that aren't food related..
  • Ldevinemk
    Ldevinemk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 45 and a mother of 3...ages 13, 8, and soon to be 6. I am a pleasure eater, emotional eater, and reward eater...as DonnaAnn mentioned. I do the same thing.....lose weight...reward with favorite place to eat. Its so hard sometimes. Every event is focused on food. You can't get away from it. But....I have the attitude and determination this time to do it right. Enjoy some pleasures in life and eat healthy as well. Instead of enjoying the pleasures EVERY day!!. This is great to have a support group. Thanks Iamslimandfit...great group you started!! I look forward to tips and support!! :wink:
  • ERains63
    Options
    Hi! I am a 49-year-old mother of 3, grandmother of 4. My biggest issue is the fact that I've never paid much attention to my weight - it was really never a problem. Over the past 15 years, I seem to have picked up an additional 30 pounds, which I intend to get rid of before the big 5-0 rolls around in February.

I'm down 11 with 19 to go...so far MFP is working perfectly fo rme. I like it so much, I intend to keep logging my calories even after I reach the goal weight. I suppose my problem is more of a lack of knowledge concerning the calories I'm consuming. I love butter on everything and I love ranch dressing on everything. And I love bread. Needless to say, I'm not having much of those things these days.
  • LisaJD
    LisaJD Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am a professional 45 year old woman, with 2 adult children (one still in college), a wonderful husband, 2 dogs and a crazy hectic life. I have never had a weight problem, just always had a "few pounds to lose." I am extremly active (gym, power walking, constantly in motion) and a constant cheerleader to my family when it comes to eating healty and staying active. My kids call me the food police, and I always try to make good food choices but do try to have fun once in a while.

The scale keeps creeping up one pound a week and I'm really starting to stress out here. At first I thought it was just my cycle and bloating but it just keeps going up. Five pounds probably in a month. Maybe it's my age??

I'm sure I have to bump up my workout level to something more intense, my body is just use to the 4-6 mile walk 4x per week and the 2x per week @ the gym; I'm frustrated. There are only so many hours in a day, working full time, taking care of a house, pets, family - there is no time to work out more - what I put in is really all I have time for. I don't sit down until 10pm each night.

I constatnly support my family by cooking healthy meals, encouraging good choices and suggesting healthy activies. They sadly don't see that I now need a push, it hard to be the motivator all the time, I need a great big shove.

I am not an emotional eater, I do not reward myself with food, and I actually have some emotional issues with too much food. There is no excuse here I am struggling with my weight gain.

I have been on Myfitnesspal for over a year (with big gaps in logging in), but never joined a group. I'm hoping this make make the difference for me this time; a small group of people that share a common goal, positive living and to lose a few pounds.

Nice to meet all of you, I certainly help we can inspire each other to meet our goals.

My goals is quite small and may seem to be an easy one for many but I cannot lose weight - I would love to lose 10 lbs.,

I am 5' 8" medium frame and now I weigh 171 lbs., some would say that is not heavy, and when you look at me everyone says I am thin; I'm very good a covering up my thicker middle, I dress for who I am and accentuate my shapely legs, and long limbs. When I was married 25 years I was 127 lbs. and looked amazing, but I have not been that weight since I deliveredy my second baby, nearly 21 years ago. I no longer want to be 127 lbs. because I have learned that I am stronger now then I was @ 23, I am more active, and more physically fit. I have pretty much been in the low to mid 160's for the last 15 years; my clothes all fit me from 15 years ago. My goal is 159, and getting there is so hard for me, losing 1 lb. is hard for me so wish me luck.
  • moeckellady
    Options
    Hello, after reading through the earlier posts, I think I may be the oldest member. I will turn 70 my next birthday. My weight has always been a problem of losing, then gaining that back plus more. I've never been able to conquer the long term life style change. I just returned from the beach with some old high school buddies. A couple of them are still nice and fit and I was so depressed that I tended to eat more and more while there and have not been able to gain any control over my eating since returning home. I'm hoping for some positive vibes to get me on the road to obtainable and permanent weight loss. This looks like it might be a good place to start. I know at my age,, I'll never have a young body again, but it sure would be nice to not be obese and embarrassed about my appearance. I have the most handsome and healthy husband than any of my high school buddies and I want him to be as proud of me as I would be of myself. To lost 60 lbs. would be my long-term goal.
  • Iamslimandfit
    Iamslimandfit Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Welcome to OUR group, everyone!!! It is great to read your posts and get the group off the ground! Please feel free to begin new topics on any subjects that interest you. I am personally excited to be starting a new month ~ fresh with a new opportunity to start over and begin living a healthier lifestyle TODAY!!! I have been eating much better and exercising fairly consistently over the past week. I plan to continue this trend and even do better in the days ahead. I am finally motivated and determined to get it right this time around and make permanent lifestyle changes. I will focus on eating smaller portions, which has always been a challenge for me. I will also move my body as much as possible throughout the day and aim for consistent exercise, which is also a challenge for me. The days just seem to fly by if I don't take the time to consciously STOP and exercise. I am not going to rule out all "bad" foods, because ~ for me ~ that usually leads to craving these foods more and eventually eating too much of the "bad" stuff. I will practice moderation and small bites of the not-so-healthy stuff..... only when I am craving them. I am not looking at this as a "diet" this time, but a permanent lifestyle change. I am confident that all of us CAN DO this with each other's support and encouragement. So please keep posting as often as you can with updates on your progress. Even though this group will focus on the positive, feel free to post your struggles, too, and we can help each other to reframe things in a positive light. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make the group better. And, again, feel free to begin new topics and post suggestions. Let's get this show on the road!!! :smile:
  • Ldevinemk
    Ldevinemk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you again for starting this group. It is so nice to have a network of women facing the same struggles, no matter what the age. You're right about it being a lifestyle. I am approaching it that way too. If I want "bad" food...I will just incorporate it into my calorie counter and enjoy 1 cookie and not 12 :-) I am a coffee drinker but found that sipping on green tea really does help the cravings.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Gabrielle and I'm 45. I have a 16 year old girl and a 20 year old son, a husband, 3 dogs, 3 cats, a horse, some chickens and a full time job thats over an hour away (on purpose. I need to get away :) ).
    Ive always struggled with weight and lost 100 lbs 15 years ago. I gained it all back plus 10 more.

I want to be thinner again. Not incredibly thin, just healthy and attractive. Ive cut out sugar and junk and feel so much better already. Im enjoying this 25 lb loss so far so much... i cant wait for the next 20 (im currently 230).

Nice to meet everyone!
  • kissmevodka
    kissmevodka Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Firstly, thank you for starting this group and inviting us all. We look like a fine group of ladies focussed and rearing to go!

My name is Maggie. I just turned 48. I have 5 kids, mostly grown with one teenager left at home. I am a nana to my 3yo grandson.
    I am happily married for the second time (learn from your mistakes!) :) (My husband also has 5 kids about the same age as mine)

I live in Canberra, Australia and have 2 dogs, two chickens for eggs, one long neck turtle and a handful of fish.
    My goal is to lose 36lb. Like a recent poster, my body just LOVES to be fat. I struggle to lose 1kg, so if I lose anything at all, each kg/lb will be a huge celebration.

I am a Personal Chef running my own business for the last 10 years. I know about food. I love food. I love cooking it. I love eating it. It loves me. Just a little too much. ;)

I have been on MFP for a while now but fell off the wagon big time. Since buying a Fitbit and learning that I could link it in with MFP, I am back with a vengeance. I've been trying to lose weight for a few years now and I just keep getting bigger. I think being in a support group will be my biggest assistance. I can't afford Weight Watchers again and didn't really find that worked well anyway. I live on the computer and enjoy having 'cyber' friends. I think this time, I am more mentally ready to change and put effort in.
    My initial, current goal is to lose 6kg/12lb in six weeks as my dh and I are going to visit family in Perth in early November. I'm also committed to 'learning' how to run/jog as opposed to fast walking. It's happening. :)

I look forward to meeting everyone and becoming part of the group.
  • shershack
    Options
    Hello All! My name is Sherri and I'm 48 years old with 2 boys, ages 20 and 23. I have 2 huskies that I adore, and have now considered them my babies since one of my boys is moved out with an apartment and the other is in college at IU.

Thanks so much for starting this group, how fun! I have only been with myfitnesspal for a couple of weeks and still have 60 pounds to lose. ugggghhhh I feel like I've been struggling with my weight up and down for the last 20 years. I'm on a mission this time, so hopefully I can succeed, feel healthy and energetic again.

Drop that weight ladies!!! :wink: We can do this!
  • DonnaAnn64
    Options
    Hi Sherri!! welcome
  • Redi2luz
    Options
    Hi, my name is Marianne. I am married for almost 26 years. We have 2 sons, both recent college grads, living at home while trying to save money and working their first "real jobs". My hubby works contracting in another state and has been doing this for the past 3 years. I quit working over a year ago so I could be with him more. But, I also feel I should be at home with my boys so I feel torn at times. Needless to say he and I do a lot of driving back and forth. He is only 5 hours from home in IL.

My dad passed away in Feb. at the age of 90. He was a great man! I have had no porblems dealing with this loss. However, I lost a dear friend to cancer 2 months ago. And, in just the past week, it has really hit me. Some days I just want to cry all day. She and I had many long talks about things and I know she is in a good place. I just really miss her so much. I'm thinking if I can start exercising again maybe it will get those endorphins going and I can start to feel better again. I just need to get the energy back in my life.

I would like to lose 40 lbs. I am currently at 191 lbs. I have tried to lose before, usually losing a few then gaining it back. I really need to do this now. I want to feel good about myself, the way I look and feel! This seems like a great group of people and I hope we can all inspire each other all the way to our goals.

Marianne
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Marilyn. I'm 56, soon to be 57. I am married since 2008. I have 6 kids (combo of natural and step), 6 grandchildren.

I was always considered chubby. I look at old pictures of me and think "where is the fat girl". I was heavy for the times, but wouldn't be by today's norms (not that today's averages are anything to be aspiring to). Back in 1998 my first grandchild was born, we took a family picture and it was the first time I saw how fat I (and my husband and daughter) had gotten. I got serious and decided to lose 2 lb a month. It took me 3 years to lose 50 lbs. Slower than I wanted but I was ok with it. I was down to 137 lbs (about the weight I was in high school) my co-workers kept saying I was skinny (aubsgg is short for Aubrey's gorgeous grandma- I created when I was 135 lb size 6) . According to weight charts I should be about 10 lbs lower than that. I slowly gained all the weight back. Boyfriends and husbands (not at the same time) like to feed me. If food is front of me I eat it, but usually if it is up to me to get I will leave it alone. My food issue is I like how it tastes, I savor flavor and want more.

This time around I'm changing what I am eating. I found that cutting down portions of my regular food just leaves me craving more and very dissatisfied. Now I am revamping what I am eating. I really try to concentrate on fiber. If I work to get 25-35 gms of fiber I have to eat plant food. Cheese is my biggest nemesis While I am trying to eat mostly natural foods (not processed) I love laughing cow cheese- low cal and tastes ok. Trying to have a more plant based diet and less meat, more fish.

I am cutting my weight goals into small 'bites" I usually look at 3-6 lb goals at a time. My long time goal is to get to 135, I also think I will be ok at anything under 150. That could change since I'm pretty sure looking at a weight chart that is still overweight. I'm currently around 184. I'm looking for 169 by the end of the year (That means 5 lbs a month, which I've never done).

My biggest problem is exercise. I let inertia take over. I have a hard time just taking time out to exercise. If I would do it for a while I'm sure it would get easier since my results are really good when I do. My husband and I ride our bikes as much as possible, his is currently broken so that isn't working. I just returned from vacation in Tahoe, where I exercised a lot, walking, kayaking, biking, swimming. Took a yoga and a zumba class too. It helped that my sister in law was there and is good about getting out and moving.
  • Iamslimandfit
    Options
    A huge warm welcome to all of the new members of our group!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to introduce yourselves. You each bring a fresh perspective to the group and I know we will all learn so much from each other.

Marianne: I am so sorry that you have had to deal with the deaths of both your dad and your dear friend recently. Especially with your friend's death, which you said you are really struggling with, allow yourself all the time you need to grieve. Two months is really not that long ago, especially when she was someone you were close with and talked to a lot. Be patient with yourself and maybe try to ease back into exercise slowly and build from there. The release of exercise will most likely help with the grieving process, as you know. Have you journaled about her death? I don't know if you are "into" journaling or not, but it really helps to get your feelings out on paper. Don't hold back. Write all about how you have been feeling and how much you miss her. You can always rip it up and throw it away when you are finished. It is the process of getting the feelings out that helps. I will keep you in my prayers as you continue to heal.

I have to run now, but thank you all for getting the group off to a great start!!! Please keep on posting ~ the good and the bad ~ and we will get through this together! WE CAN DO IT!!! :smile:
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, I just joined and hope I'm not too late. I have been on MFP for 2 months now and I absolutely love it!! But, could definitely use more support.

My name is Tess and I just turned 42, happily married mother of 4 (1 daughter who's mine (20), 3 step (two daughters 20 & 21)(one son 16) and grandmother of 1 (she is 4). I went back to school in 2004 and after 7 years of work/school I received both a bachelors and masters degree. I felt I was too busy to exercise, I ate horrible (on the go) and even though I felt accomplished, I couldn't stand looking at my graduation photos... and now after a year of being out of school, I have decided to start taking care of me.

I'm 5' 2.5 and started on MFP at 165 with 45 pounds to lose (give or take) Dr said I should be between 120-125 pounds (I was diagnosed pre-diabetic). I have lost 21 pounds and still have 24 to go. My biggest issue (besides the fact that I was constantly having to buy new clothes that fit)...is I hated seeing pictures of myself. I'm an avid photo taker and bought a semi-professional camera so I could take more family photos myself and experiment... I want to be happy to have my picture taken with my kids and husband again. I have to keep my carbohydrate (sugar) in check - less than 100 per day, so my micros are set at 20% carbs; 40% protein: 40% fat (mostly MUFA's). My weight goal isn't as important to me as clothing size and fat % so we'll see how that goes.

I'm excited to be working through this with all of you!!! Good luck on your journeys, I'm always here for support if you need me. (have the mfp phone app too).

Tess
  • Iamslimandfit
    Options
    Welcome, Tess!!! So happy to have you here! :smile: A huge CONGRATULATIONS to you for going back to school and earning both your bachelor's and master's degrees!!! That is awesome!!! And you have already lost 21 pounds!!! Great!!! Best wishes to you as you continue on in your weight loss journey! :smile: