thinking of joining...

Options
Hi....looking for some insight on OA. Been on MFP for 3 months - had some success but am once again going down the slippery slope of falling back into old habits. Mostly because I feel like I am giving up....not sure why I am trying to lose weight in the first place....unsure if it is worth it. Have a friend that followed OA with much success. My question for all current members...what drew you to start following OA and what benefits do you think it has? Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I've been in it for decades off and on. It's wonderful, it helps with binge eating disorder.
  • Yoshima
    Options
    I am a very new online member, but I've found that it really works to curb my cravings. I have done pretty well this week thanks to the meetings I've attended.

I suggest to at least give it a try. You'll lost nothing, and hopefully, gain the support & understanding you need.

Good luck!
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday because some of my OA friends use it as a tool to help them. MFP would not be manageable for me if I didn't have my support group behind me AND in front of me! I was bulimic for 24 years, OA was the thing I needed to stop and the only place I could address it without shame. No matter what your eating issues are, there are people in OA have overcome it. Go to a meeting, you can find one by looking at www.oa.org. Good luck!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    In OA they say you need a POE - Plan Of Eating and MFP fits perfectly with OA in that regard. You can plan what you eat.
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you are thinking about it, I would encourage you to give it a try. If you do, though, they usually recommend trying at least six different meetings so you can get a feeling for the different ways OA can help you.

What drew me to OA was that I couldn't get any traction by myself. I would start a dieting effort but not be able to keep with it. I felt hopeless and discouraged. Sugar especially tended to kick my butt every time.

I joined in August 2009 and have lost more than 60 pounds so far. I've been at a plateau for a while, but I am maintaining my loss and not gaining it back. I have worked all 12 steps and have found tremendous value in them. I am happier and healthier than I have been in a very long time!