Strength Training

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
How many of you ladies are doing strength training (weights, etc.)? If so, what exercises do you do?

My legs do plenty of strength work when I do cardio, so I want to work on my arms still. I have 3-lb and 8-lb weights at home and a stretchy band thing. I used to do knee push-ups and want to start back up again by doing counter push-ups (where you lean against a counter), but I know that won't be possibly once I get a real belly going.

Thanks!

Replies

• rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I do heavy lifting (New Rules of Lifting for Women).
    Lots of exercises you probably wouldn't recognize, (like the Cuban Snatch....lol)

Here are some of the basics;
    Squats
    Dead lifts
    Planks
    Elevated leg lunges
    Cobra
    Push-ups
    Crunches on Medicine ball

I only lifted once this week, hoping to get back on track.

Good luck :)
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and use the machines there. I was doing higher weights with less reps, but now since I am pregnant I have been doing less weight with more reps. I focus on my back, arms and legs, I generally do a full body workout every time I go. I just enjoy it. I do my bicep curls and triceps, and I have been thinking about starting to do the weight portions of my 30 day shred again. I just love her weight exercises! I do calf raises, squats, and leg curls. I also work my glutes as much as possible. Back wise I do rows (which I love Jillians when done right!), backwards butterfly, and curls for my lower back. Honestly most of them can be done with hand weights which I will do when I get a bigger belly, but while I can fit on the machines I use them!! Lol, bc I know it wont last long =). Honestly if I could just lift weights and lose weight as fast as I can with combination, thats all I would do, its my favorite and its so important! =)
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Lots of exercises you probably wouldn't recognize, (like the Cuban Snatch....lol)

Squats
    Dead lifts
    Planks
    Elevated leg lunges
    Cobra
    Push-ups

Youre still doing crunches while pregnant? I am worried, but if I can continue to do them as you are I need it....I have stopped for the past 4 weeks and the belly is seeing it already :(
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Squats
    Dead lifts
    Planks
    Elevated leg lunges
    Cobra
    Push-ups

Youre still doing crunches while pregnant? I am worried, but if I can continue to do them as you are I need it....I have stopped for the past 4 weeks and the belly is seeing it already :(

Yes, I read it was ok in the first trimester. I do them on a ball though.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I have The Women's Healthy Big Book of Exercises. There's a section for Prenatal Workouts. While the list is short, the strength training is as follows (this is for the 2nd Trimester):

Exercise Sets Reps Rest
    Bent over Y raise (pg 86) 3 8 0
    Underhand-grip rear lateral raise (pg 84) 3 10 60
    Braced squat (pg 194) 3 10 60
    Modified side plank (pg 285) 3 ALAP 60
    Incline pushup (pg 36) 3 ALAP 60
    Dumbbell stepup (pg 262) 3 8 60
    Bird dog (pg 283) 3 30 sec 60
    Glute stretch (pg 270) 1 30 sec 0
    Doorway stretch (pg 66) 1 30 sec 0

Sorry for the weird formatting. I copied it from the page I typed last night with it. I hadn't done alot of ST before now, but I'm gotten into the groove of working out again (after spending 1.5 months diligently logging calories, just to get into the habit again). This might be light for some people, and just right for others.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I am doing various squats, lunges, presses, curls, etc., with dumbbells, and I am also doing pushups and planks. I have 12 weeks left, and I'm just sticking with lighter weights (15lb dumbbells).
    I had just started strength training a few months before getting pregnant, so I was still figuring it all out. :tongue: But I am hoping to get a copy of NROLFW and learn more about heavy lifting after baby gets here.
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did CrossFit before I was pregnant and I've continued to do it throughout. So far, I'm still doing the majority of the exercises at about the same weights I did pre-pregnancy. I'll start to modify as I get larger. I did skip one particular type of situp (GHD situps) because they are not recommended during pregnancy. I couldn't find a reason why but when I did one, I felt funny so I didn't do anymore.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant I did videos like 30 Day Shred, then push ups and 10lb weights on my own once I learned what to do. Since i've been pregnant I just use a resistance band for the most part with occasional hand weights. Btw I am over 36 wks and can still do the counter push ups, so it is very possible. I did the floor ones for a good while, can't remember when i had to stop but probably past the 1/2 way point at 20 wks at least.