New to this!

Options
I'm pretty new at this and going through the "primalizing" process!

I have Crohns and coeliac. I am grain and legume free, and much better for it - I am now gradually embracing the lifestyle, and am even off to try Crossfit on Saturday morning!

This way of living just kinda makes sense. Whilst I know I might have the odd minor deviation here and there, because life happens, I know I will never go back to grains and legumes and processed food, or low fat dieting. I use MFP primarily for macros and nutrition, but as it happens, on a primal style eating plan, I find it pretty hard to go over calories, because I'm actually satisfied after eating, and sometimes, I can't quite finish my meal. That's a big deal for me - I'd always given up on calorie controlling because I got too hungry, and sometimes even got the shakes or a headache, and would crave sweet things.

I went back for a couple of weeks to standard diet, just to appease my dietitian, who wrung her hands in horror when I admitted I ate no grains. Nope, not even wholegrains. She seemed convinced I was on my way to a heart attack, so I tried going back, to see what would happen. maybe the benefits had all been in my mind. But no - after 2 weeks, I was bloated, tired, constipated, and had mouth ulcers - usually the sign that the Crohns is about to flare up. And that was my trigger for going full Primal. I'm on my way!

Replies

• Cdposey26
    Cdposey26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    good luck to you, I have been doing paleo for almost 2 months (Oct 7th will be 2 full months), I have never felt better, I have more energy and I have lost 41 lbs and dropped 2 pant sizes so far. I never feel like I am starving myself and its been a surprisingly easy lifestyle change. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Paleo is a little different but I think its only the dairy that is really different compared to primal
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Follow this plan ;)
    1) go paleo for 3-6 months
    2) have your bloodwork done including your inflammation indicators
    3) post it here (I promise it will be great)...
    4) show it to your "nutritionist"
    5) tell them to pound sand.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    I am working up to following Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint. I don't eat much dairy, I can only tolerate yoghurt and some cheese, I seem to be ok with fermented dairy but not milk, cream etc, and I did use whey protein isolate when I was lifting (which I hope to go back to soon, have had a shoulder problem). I feel better including the dairy because it gives me a wider range of proteins to access, I can sometimes get problems if I eat too much meat, particularly red meat. I am planning though to switch to organic cheese, preferably local and from grass fed animals. For financial reasons, I haven't quite been able to do the clean sweep of the pantry and replace everything with the primal alternative - I'm replacing as things run out.

I get my bloodwork done usually around every 6 months to check on my nutrient levels because of the celiac. So that will be interesting for sure! The dietitian is totally convinced that I am going to have high cholesterol, blood pressure, and poor nutritional status if I carry on doing primal.

"Pound sand" is very polite considering what I will feel like saying if this works (and there is every indication that it's going to). Because I have a colon stricture, I was told that I would most likely be on laxatives for good - well I've halved those already after just a few days. Omegas people, not drugs!!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac too, so going paleo was an easy switch for me! Good luck!! =)
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yay! I don't have any diseases, save for a propensity to get high blood sugar, but I find that primal is great for me. It is a hard diet for me to follow, but it is worth it! Welcome!!!