Starting Today and Question About Squats and Dead Lifts

Options
briebear77
briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
So today I had a session with the trainer at my gym. It was just the free session and was awful but that’s beside the point! I have two questions about stage one.

My first question is about squats. The trainer told me she wouldn't show me the squat rack because I’m not doing training with her. She basically said that I shouldn't use it without a trainer and had me do it with free weights instead. How much of a difference is there between doing squats with the bar vs. free weights? I would like to get to the point where I am able to do enough that free weights won’t cover it, but is it ok to start with the free weights and move up to using the bar? Or should I just use the squat rack anyway and ignore her?

My next question is about dead lifts. We have a dead lift machine at my gym and that’s what she started me on. The book makes it sound like we’d be using free weights for dead lifts as well, which again I’d like to do. Has anybody seen one of these machines before and does it matter if I use that machine or should I use the free weights?

My session with her just kind of confused me because once I get to higher weights I’d like to make sure I am doing things like using the squat rack and dead lifting free weights.

Any suggestions/thoughts are welcome and appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• kimimila86
    Options
    Hey partner! I just thought I'd throw in my two cents... I don't know how lifting savvy you are, but I know that I'm starting out by doing bodyweight squats this week so I can really focus on form before I start adding weight. I plan to start adding weight next week, which means using the bar (45 lbs), and I'm going to go up from there as the weeks progress. I wouldn't listen to the trainer because she was just trying to intimidate you and make you feel like you NEED a trainer. BOO!!!

And from my experience, using free weights is almost always better than using a machine. For deadlifts, my gym has these weighted bars between 25 - 125 lbs, not olympic bars that I plan to use for deadlifts next week. Does your gym have these types of bars?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Free weights include dumbbells and the barbell with or without added plates. So I'm confused when you say "How much of a difference is there between doing squats with the bar vs. free weights?" The bar IS a free weight.

If you're not strong enough yet to use the Olympic barbell (7 ft. long, weighs 45 lbs.) without additional barbell plates then use whatever size dumbbells you can handle. Hold one in each hand at your sides when doing squats. The squat rack simply holds the barbell at the proper height. Otherwise you would have to lift it from the floor, over your head, and place it at the top of your shoulder blades. Use the squat rack, never use the Smith machine to do squats.

Deadlifts can also be done using dumbbells if you're not strong enough to use an empty barbell. Again, never use the Smith machine when doing deadlifts.

See the videos below, they will help you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-squat

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-deadlift

One note about deadlifts, if you're unable to lift at least 135 lbs. (Olympic barbell plus two 45 lb. plates) then do Romanian deadlifts instead (see pg. 168 of the book). Otherwise you risk hyper-extending your back because the bar is too close to the floor.

Here's the video for Romanian deadlifts:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/romanian-deadlift
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would ignore the trainer. She just wants you to pay for her services. Do you have anybody who has lifted and could go with to spot you for the first few times? I think you could do either exercise without a spot, but it might make you feel more comfortable if you haven't lifted before.

I'd start out on the squat rack with just the bar (45lbs.) and see how that feels. I know when I started, I was definitely physically able to squat with the bar, but the fact that it's 7ft long and I'm 5'3" took some getting used to... just balancing it and getting the right form. But I quickly moved up. Plus, that's the point of the rack. If you lifting inside the rack and your muscles fail and you accidentally drop the weight, the bars at the bottom of the rack will catch it (obviously you should try not to drop it, but if there's an emergency, that's what they're there for).

I'm assuming you're talking about a Smith machine with the deadlifts... Don't use it. It does too much of the stabilizing for you. Just take the Olympic bar (same one you use for squats), and set it on the floor in front of the squat rack with however much weight you want on each end - again, you could just start with the bar if you're not sure.

Be confident - You can probably lift a lot more than you think you can! Good luck!
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! Good call on the body weight squats, I agree with that. And yes aamberrr, that trainer was awful! I knew I would word something dorky and not make sense bizco, thank you for your input. I will watch that video! I am going like RIGHT NOW so wish me luck!

Edit to fix a typo although there's probably more.
  • calpollyana
    Options
    One note about deadlifts, if you're unable to lift at least 135 lbs. (Olympic barbell plus two 45 lb. plates) then do Romanian deadlifts instead (see pg. 168 of the book). Otherwise you risk hyper-extending your back because the bar is too close to the floor.

Thanks for the info about deadlifts. I did not see that when I read the book, and I'm starting stage one tomorrow! :)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options

Thanks for the info about deadlifts. I did not see that when I read the book, and I'm starting stage one tomorrow! :)

You can use the bar and less weights, you just need to stack plates under each end of the bar to about mid calf height. I started low with a couple of 25's stacked under each weight on the bar to make it higher. Worked perfectly.

And about the squat rack, you can you it with out a trainer/spotter as long as you're comfortable. If you are starting out and using light weights or just the bar you should be fine.

Happy lifting!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'd be putting in a complaint about that trainer. They are there to make sure you're safe. If you ask to be shown how to do a squat, they they show you! Explain to them (in writing) how you will be using the squat rack and since their employee refused to show you how to use it, should you suffer any injury as a result of her refusal to show you the safe way, you'll be forwarding all medical bills to them.