Options
mandy_lee86
mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
I am a newbie Couch to 5k user and I just completed my second day. I wanted to make sure this isn't due to bad form or anything, but both of my shins are sore and sensitive directly after the run. Is this normal for anyone else?

Replies

• hellotherecupcake
    Options
    I had that happen sometimes when I just started the program. :-)
  • FitterFaith
    FitterFaith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching?
  • DeeDee1066
    DeeDee1066 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Mine were sore the first 2 weeks. Stretch, stretch and drink lots of water. I did buy a new pair of shoes after week 3 because my knees and hips hurt. the new shoes made all the difference.
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    In reading about shin pain over the last few weeks, the common thread seems to be 'shoes'. The wrong shoes will cause the pain, the right shoes will eliminate it.
    When I first started to try the Couch25K over a year ago, my shins hurt so bad (among other things). I stopped the program. This time around, I made sure I had suitable shoes. Haven't had any shin pain at all.
  • nadiamode
    Options
    agree with above comments -- shoes and stretching. proper running shoes made all the difference for me.
    remember dynamic stretching before your workout and static stretching to cool down.
    good luck and have fun!
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have Under Armour shoes that I bought a couple of months back and never really had issues with them while working out. I should probably get fitted for the right size and get some new shoes! I guess I should stretch more than I do.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be looking into new shoes when I get the money - whenever that'll be. I'm hoping to start back up with C25K soon!

I also had the issues with shin splints - every time I ran. Stretching helps. :flowerforyou: