little victory

Options
renkatrun
renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
My youngest is 15 - nearly 16 - and teaches gymnastics a couple evenings a week. Tonight he came home from work and out of the blue said he would go paleo beginning this weekend.

And I thought he wasn't taking me seriously.

Hope my husband will give in now...

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Kudos!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'd call that a big victory.
    I LOVE it when those around us at least "try". I got an email this morning from someone who bought Primal Blueprint based on my recommendation. In two weeks, down 5 lbs without trying and her husband has joined her.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Music to your ears! Lead by example! Congrats!
  • Cdposey26
    Cdposey26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been hoping my wife would join me on paleo, maybe someday
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I wonder what made him decide to finally take the step?

I'm still hoping my fiance follows suit, especially given his reactive allergies (mainly seasonal). He eats whatever I prepare at home (or he'd be making his own!), but whenever I'm not there he eats bread and copious amount of sugar via biscuits, chocolate and beer. He is slowly eating less of these foods, but I think it's mainly out of habit, laziness and sugar addiction. He can't seem to resist anything free or cheap, even though he knows it isn't necessarily nutritious.
    He has bacon and eggs and sometimes sausage for breakfast every morning now (he used to have Vita-Brits or cereal with 2 big tablespoons of sugar and more sugar in his coffee when we met (ugh!) and wonder why he was hungry again in about an hour! Now he has a nut bar and some fruit as a mid-morning snack (he has a very active job) and sometimes skips lunch altogether.

I guess his main source of crap now is lunch during the week when he doesn't take anything with him and beer on weekends (he works for an alcohol distributor and gets free alcohol every week....) It's certainly an improvement on his previous diet.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Wish I could get my husband onboard 100%. Celiac runs in his family (his older sister was dxed with it 25 years ago): certain things convince me he is gluten intolerant and would feel great if he were paleo.
  • reluctantMANGO
    reluctantMANGO Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news! My family (DH and 4yo DS) eat what I make - usually - but add on SAD side dishes a few times a week. Lunches are out of my hands. I do my best to provide them with what they need to be healthy, but I can't make the choice to go Paleo for them. DH is sceptical, but glad that I'm feeling so much better since changing my WOE, and DS is a picky eater who LOVES bread and waffles and pancakes... you get the idea. Working really hard to not push, to lead by example and to teach DS about healthy eating so that hopefully he will come to accept more of the diet that I'm eating.

Arrgh. But this is about you. Wonderful that your son is on board - so nice to see our loved ones making good choices!
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I also wonder... haven't asked. Just happy he's giving up nugutti (the norwegian version of that addictive hazelnut spread)
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

I also wonder... haven't asked. Just happy he's giving up nugutti (the norwegian version of that addictive hazelnut spread)
    You said he's 16, right?

When my kids were that age, you could tell them 'the sky is blue', and they'd spend all week arguing with me and googling points to refute me. Then the next day some respected adult like their karate coach would tell them 'the sky is blue' and they'd come home and try to convince me like I had told them it was pink the previous week.

Most likely he thought it was a crackpot diet as long as it was just you who was pushing it - but then a friend said it was cool and all of a sudden it's cool.

Teenagers. :)
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good going!

Just heard from mom: I was coaching her for the past two months, and she told me yesterday that they have collected the last of the bread in their household and gave it to pigs at a nearby farm. I am so happy to hear that! Mom has been starting to get small health problems, over the past couple of years, and I am pretty sure it is very much rain related, as her shape is ridiculously apple with stick thin arms and legs, when her activity level is through the roof. Keeping fingers crossed!