Hi! I'm new here from Saskatchewan Canada

Options
Hi, I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm prepping for gastric bypass surgery right now. It won't be for about 9 months, but they have me doing some prep already. I have IBS as well, and am wondering if anyone here has had any issues with IBS after surgery? I know they said they wouldn't do the surgery if I had Crohns. Looking for buddies here for support. I've been on the list for surgery for 3 yrs almost and have just had my initial appointment. I'm hoping I'm making the right choice. I have about 120 lbs to lose in total. My main reasons for my decision are my health and my grandson. I have a 3 yr old grandson who I absolutely adore. I want to be able to do stuff with him without getting short of breath and having to say "just a minute honey, grandma has to sit down for a bit".

Replies

• alishacliff
    Options
    Im sure you will do great! The only problems I have had were caused from eating the wrong foods. Found out the hard was by drinking Gatorade and today I accidentally bought a fat free coffee creamer instead of the sugar free one and ohhh boy did I pay for it after only one cup. I had surgery March, 2012 and still cannot do breads, pastas, potatoes, basically any carbs other then veggies and even them took a while to be able to handle. Remember to walk after surgery. It really helps will healing. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :) Good Luck!!
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I read that coffee has to be cut out of your diet, but the clinic I am doing my prep at says it doesn't. Will I have to drink it black? I usually drink it with flavored creamers....I'm guessing the sweetness could cause the dumping syndrome? I guess all will get figured out in time. Huge life change. That's the scariest part... knowing I will have to give up a lot of foods...but the ends definitely justify the means I think.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There seems to be two issues with coffee. First, you have to avoid added sweeteners, and in general to avoid drinking calories of any kind. Drinking calories is probably the easiest way to sabotage weight loss after surgery. The second issue for coffee is most important in the few months following surgery. Caffeine may have a diuretic effect, and staying hydrated is a problem for many after surgery. You shouldn't be drinking at all before or after meals, which is more difficult than it sounds. You also must drink very slowly for a while. I think a lot of people don't drink enough, which can lead to other complications.

Be aware that, like almost everything else, there is a hested debate about the dehydrating effects of caffeine. People get wildly passionate about their coffee. It's best to be aware of the issue, and follow the medical advice you are given.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I had the RNY in May. I started drinking coffee a couple months post surgery. I maybe drink it once a week on average and I drink it with whole milk and splenda. I do not drink decaf as I don't see the point of drinking the coffee without the caffine. If you like flavored creamers there are some sugar free flavors out there, but I've never tried them so I don't know how they stack up to the real thing. As for IBS I'm also not much help, I had occassional gut trouble pre surgery but I can't tell you how much of that was related to diet, medication, or my weight. What I do know is that I rarely have any gut complaints now and if I do I can usually pin point it to what I ate and my pouch being upity that day.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    Hi! Right after surgery I was only allowed to have decaf coffee. I mixed it into a protein shake sort of like making my own sugar free version of Starbucks. I blended the decaf coffee, protein powder and some sugar free french vanilla creamer with splenda and it was so yummy! Now I can have regular coffee again and add a little half and half and splenda.

Good luck with everything!
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! :) I have never seen these sugar free creamers here in Saskatchewan, maybe I'll have to look around a bit. If not, I'm sure I can manage without flavored creamer. I only drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day at most. Still hoping someone who has IBS will weigh in on this. Hoping that the surgery might magically make it disappear, but that's just wishful thinking! lol
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have never suffered from IBS myself, but have heard several people say that theirs went away after surgery. I hope yours will.

I still think that whole coffee-drinking thing is a fad that will blow over before long.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There seems to be two issues with coffee. First, you have to avoid added sweeteners, and in general to avoid drinking calories of any kind. Drinking calories is probably the easiest way to sabotage weight loss after surgery. The second issue for coffee is most important in the few months following surgery. Caffeine may have a diuretic effect, and staying hydrated is a problem for many after surgery. You shouldn't be drinking at all before or after meals, which is more difficult than it sounds. You also must drink very slowly for a while. I think a lot of people don't drink enough, which can lead to other complications.

Be aware that, like almost everything else, there is a hested debate about the dehydrating effects of caffeine. People get wildly passionate about their coffee. It's best to be aware of the issue, and follow the medical advice you are given.

I specifically hate when people come on here telling others what they HAVE to do.

What you have to do is follow the advice of your surgeon; and, better yet, follow your stomach/pouch signs!

Yes, my surgeon advised me to stay away from caffeine 3 months pre-surgery and 3 months post-surgery. But he never said anything about sweetners. If you're worried about aspartame, try stevia, an all-natural sweetner.

Caffeine blocks absorption of other vitamins, so if you can stomach decaf...go for it! I was on regular coffee (and at this point, 6.5 months out, I can drink it with sweetners and/or light, fat-free creamers, soy milk, skim milk, whole milk).

Everyone's progress differs and everyones pouch differs.

Just be prepared for a drastic and big change - that's the only thing I'm telling you you HAVE to do..... :)
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    hi there and welcome

well I have seen some people who have bread in their diary, rice, noodles and I was told NO top these items.

every person is different as well as every doc. all I can suggest is you do the best you can do with what you have been given.