New Member Introductions

Options
Please introduce yourself as you wish.

Replies

• Holdenke1
    Holdenke1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am 54 y.o. female, still trying to lose 20 plus pounds. Have partnered with a friend so that we can encourage each other along the way. I'm tired of going shopping and having to buy clothes that cover my middle. I want to try on an outfit and it looks just as good on me as it does on the hanger. My problem with losing weight is that I become unmotivated in the evening and on the weekend. If I get through a couple of weeks and weekends, I am hoping to see enough results to motivate me to keep going. :ohwell:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am committed to maintaining my 110 pound loss forever by continuing to foster a healthy mind/body connection, practicing healthy daily habits, and supporting others in their journey so I don't forget where I've been.

I believe in moderation, positive thinking, and practicing kindness and empathy. I've logged in for more than 365 days in a row and love having supportive friends who are also consistent and positive.
  • BernaRoche
    BernaRoche Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My name is Berna. I'm a 50 year old biology professor, and I would like to get back to a healthy weight. Over the last 30 years, I've put on 2 pounds per year, and so I'm looking at 60 unwanted pounds that seem to have just arrived out of nowhere. I used to be very active physically, and so I could pretty much eat anything I wanted, and just work it off. Now, I'm much more slow moving, and I don't play soccer, basketball, and volleyball every week (or at all, for that matter). I like to walk, and so I am going out for a walk with the dog in just a few minutes. I almost joined weight watchers today, but I feel funny about paying someone to tell me what I already know I should be doing: eating well-balanced healthy meals and exercising. So, I'm hoping that the support from this group will help me stay on track. I like the title, Positively Balanced, as that is what I am hoping for in all aspects of my life.

My biggest temptations are cheese and chocolate. If they didn't exist, I'm sure I'd find something else to tempt me, but right now, those are my key bad triggers that lead me down a road of too much calorie intake for one day. My husband likes cheese and chocolate, so I'm having a hard time keeping them out of the house (anyway, I know how to stop at the store and buy them if they are not in the house). Fortunately, I really like fruits and vegetables, and so I'm trying to incorporate more of them in my diet. I also really like to walk, and my dog loves to go out for walks with me, so that is another thing I'm working on making a daily part of life.

I got down to 175 pounds a couple of years ago using MediFast, but I hated the way the food tasted and it was so processed and unnatural (ingredients list contained more unpronounceable items than pronounceable items). I am back up to 196, so I managed to keep off 6 of the 27 pounds I lost. I realized after I gained so much back that Medifast was not the way for me to lose weight and keep it off. I am impressed with Sunshine for losing 110 pounds and I'm hoping we can all help motivate each other to stick with the healthy changes and look only forward to good health and good bodies!

Good luck everyone with goals of being positively balanced!
  • B_Mindful
    B_Mindful Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! :flowerforyou:

My name is Barb. I'm 55, and have about 100 or so pounds to lose. Surprisingly, my health is pretty good -- BP, cholesterol, sugar are all normal -- so I figure I'd better do something now before I have to rely on a cabinet full of pills and having my cardiologist on speed-dial.

I'm hoping to lose through a combination of eating whole foods (the kind I can make at home, with ingredients my grandmother would recognize) and exercise. I'd love to skip the exercise, but I guess there's no way around that! :laugh:

Like Berna, I was attracted by the name of the group. I see that everyone here (so far) is someone I can relate to in some way -- I hope we can inspire each other!
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Helen. I am 54 years old and was 262 lbs at my heaviest. I have been struggling for over 3 years to lose but have bad better success since joining MFP. I want to look better and have more energy to enjoy life. i too was attracted by the name of this group. I want to lose weight by eating healthy and exercise. Not by starving myself.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the group and sharing our success
  • ednjenn
    ednjenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My name is Ed. Happy father to 6 kids, and lucky #7 is due first week of March 2013. Cop in Southern California who's gone a bit soft. (Ok perhaps more than a bit). I am optimistic, and possess a very sick sense of humor. Found MFP and started running again and I'm trying to let the tiger out of the cage. Please friend me on here as I am on here ALL THE TIME. Trying to make a streak a trend, and a trend a lifestyle. I look forward to learning about all of you and seeing your success!

Cheers!
  • Hi there im please to here thaks team i think balence is very important......life sometimes get very hard but we must keep getting back up and o our best.. looking foward to this team
  • fitboricua
    fitboricua Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    HI My name is Cynthia. I am 36, married for 10+, one 8 year old boy and a Project Manager.

Love to excercise been doing it since a teenager but sometime during college I just stop and began gaining weight. although I never weighted more that 145, for me that was more tan enough to put a stop to it. SO in 2009 I started excersing at home because gyms dont work for me. I paid a gym membreship for 3 years and just went a couple of times there was always an excuse no to go.

Betwwwn 2009 an 2011 I lost almost 20 pounds and gian some back but I am still doing my workouts at home and getting back to my toned physique.

Hope I can help or inspire someone and be INSPIRED by all of you.
  • doit2013
    doit2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sue...48 years old and making the commitment to get healthy. Love the focus on balance and no excuses-two things that I definitely need to work on :)
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hello folks,

I'm 49 and aiming to loose 20lbs with MFP. I have already lost about 24lb since last year - some of that through sensible diet and exercise, but also some due to ill health.

Sadly I can no longer exercise due to the onset of ME/CFS in March of this year. Before illness I was a Biology teacher and a very active person. Now my world is a bit different - and that includes the fact that I must eat very little in order not to gain weight!

The little dog you see in my avatar is my Patsy (a Patterdale cross Jack Russell) who I started to train for agility last year. I've been retraining her to verbal and hand signals so that I can continue to compete with her without having to run along side her. Last week end we did our first competition without getting eliminated!!!! YAY!

Looking forward to some inspiration and support within a smallish postively focussed group.

Sal
  • LaDonnaLoves
    LaDonnaLoves Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome, all!

I am Ladonna, a 37 year old single (but taken) gal with one furbaby (3 yo pomeranian mutt) and I love just about everthing and everyone, except cooked vegetables ;) I have been on WW and lost 80 pounds this year, but was fed up with some of the technical flaws in the program. 1) MFP teaches you the real truth about our bodies in terms of what we need calorically, it's not hidden in code. 2) the actual program is far superior to WW- ex. I can find foods much faster and easier and the bar code scanner works every time (never worked with WW). Other than that, the concept of eating less and moving more is the same, as is the online community. This year I lost 80, so my journey continues with almost as much left to go with MFP. I love staying connected to the online community and like minded invidividuals. What I cannot stand is whining and constantly making excuses. I get that we get sick and down on occassion, but if you have not lost weight and have made excuses for it for more than a couple of consecutive weeks - it's not the program, it's you and I will tell you as much :) I have learned a lot so far and want to keep on learning! I get better with every gain. I once lost 100 lbs, and gained 80 back before I turned it aruond. The next time, I gained 60 before turning it around. The last time I gained only 10 before I stopped the downward spiral and started counting calories and burn again. I have learned that it isn't self-deprivation, it is about balance and that saying no to a food now is a positive experience that empowers me to be free from the bondage of fat. I have learned to recognize that the foods I love are NOT going anywhere - they will still be around when I am healthy enough and have healthy, balanced perceptions of food enough to enjoy them as a healthy person! I have also learned that exercise is not horrible if you find something you enjoy doing. It doesn't mean that I love it, just that I enjoy it.

Holdenke1: This could be a great group for you, if you like tough love and positive reinforcement :) The last 20, I've heard, are the hardest, and I have to believe that because it comes from so many people. I don't believe in plateaus, or that the last 20 are the hardest, I believe we have to rise to the challenge that those last twenty present, which is difficult, but you can do it! The bottom line is, you have to be very strict on yourself, tracking, counting, and burning. YOU CAN DO IT! It is very possible and kudos for only having 20 to go!!! I can't wait to get there!

My Own Sunshine: what an inspiration you truly are! Please open a topic and share your journey in as much or little detail as you wish - I for one would love to read it! I am so glad you joined this group and I hope you will feel comfortable in a leadership role. All of you, really!

Berna: Welcome! I think whole-person balance is what I was aiming for. Balance and self love, by the way, I have found -are the key to happiness. I have achieved it and it has been the catalyst for my personal weight loss success, although, self-love is a long journey and practice in and of itself! It's okay to love cheese and chocolate! Who doesn't? We can balance moderation in all things and still enjoy what we love! What are your favorites? I'm sure your husband would be more supportive if you remind him he made vows to you and right now, he needs to be with you while you are sick and support your efforts to become healthy. If he wants cheese and chocolate, he can eat them away from the house ;) Way to go on your loss so far - keep up the good work and believe me - the cheese and chocolate have been around for centuries, they will still be there when you are healthy!

Barb: Welcome! I am 5'4" and weighed 304 lbs not even a year ago. I am currently at 210. I went into it with similar goals as you and it is possible, but I would encourage you to bite off one piece at a time. Too many changes can make it overwhelming, unless you're up for the challenge - I certainly don't want to discourage you! I for one, didn't exercise for the first six months. I could barely walk a block without becoming winded. I started by spending 5 minutes walking the dog, then 10, then worked up to half an hour a day at a 3.5mph pace now - hoping to one day be a "runner". Caloriic restriction, eating whole foods, exercise - it's defintely where I want to be! Please remember to share any recipes you find that are awesome!

Helen: Welcome! Congratulations on your loss!!! Keep up the good work and share to inspire :)

Ed: Welcome - I look forward to laughing at and with you and your sense of humor :) Staying connected, I have found, is very important to making it a lifestyle versus just a diet. Kudos!

PinkSparkle: Welcome, we are glad you are here!

Cynthia: Welcome! I for o ne have never had a toned physique, but I will share that I have made it my personal goal to compete in a fitness competition by the time I reach 40. I'm 37, it's a long shot, but a girl can dream! Thank you for being a part of the group.

Sue: Welcome! I think excuses are a form of self-loathing, and I'll point it out every time ;)

Salkela: Welcome! If you can't exercise, it's okay - I appreciate that you don't whine/make excuses... you can still achieve a healthy weight by focusing on all the positivity and balance it out with control over your intake. (modified from the original, less effective response).

THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING!

LaDonna
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! i've been on this site for a while now but have have only managed to lose 12lbs (have another 73lbs to go). My downfall is not being able to stick with it for more than 2 weeks at a time, letting go on weekends and evening and making wrong food choices. I'm now trying to re-train my brain to understand that this needs to be a lifestyle change, with a balanced nutritional intake and it wont happen overnight! Would apprecate this groups support in exchange of being supportive to others. :) Thanks.
  • Salkeela
    Options

Salkela: Welcome! If you can't exercise, it's okay - just don't whine abuot it and focus on all the positivity and balance it out with control over your intake.

Read my post again. No whining evident! Just the facts - and then the positive angle of retraining my dog to my hand and voice signals. All positive. I was hoping for a slightly more positive welcome!
  • LaDonnaLoves
    Options
    Originally Posted by 1swlg (Judy in VA), reposted in this thread
    :flowerforyou: It's never too late! A week ago, I decided that this is it. All my life I have been an emotional eater and it has gotten me absolutely no where. I am now considered a Senior Citizen although I am not quiet sure what that means. I was driving slowly behind a man one morning going to work years ago and thought, Wow I wish I had legs like that. After passing him and turning to look his way, he surely had to have been in his 70's. I found out later that he started later in life working on his imperfections and Wow is all I can say. I got off my gastric bypass program and don't know all the reasons why and that isn't important. What is important is that I got back on. I lost 5 lbs. this week and feel better than I have in a long time. This wonderful body has capabilities of healing itself if we treat it right. I would like to share one new piece of information that I learned in doing reseach on my own health issues and from speaking with my ND who is a real sweetie. Most diseases they are finding out are caused from inflammation in the body, but this doesn't mean heridity, genes and other things don't factor in. If our bodies are too acidic, this causes a break down in the body. We have to have a balanced PH level. I have found out when you get your PH level where it should be, you loose weight. Carbs which are detremental to weight loss have to be curbed and you need to know how many a day you should have for your own good. We all come from different backgrounds and have followed our own way and look what happened. Big weight gains and little success with loosing it and keeping it off. I know with having had a gastric bypass 13 years ago, my plumbing is different now and I have to adhere to an entirely changed way of eating. So, if your down, get up and be encouraged, it takes some work to change bad habits but we are able to do it if we want to. Be good to yourself today because you have to live with the body you are in. Make a positive change today. If you wake up tomorrow, make another one and so on. Before you know it six months have rolled by and guess what you could be much thinner. I am proud of myself for staying on my program for 1 week and lost 5 lbs. I will be happy to get one pound off a week. I know we can do it, so lets throw up a cheer for each other. Good work. Judy In Virginia
  • LaDonnaLoves
    Options
    RE: hunny73 (quote) Hello!!! i've been on this site for a while now but have have only managed to lose 12lbs (have another 73lbs to go). My downfall is not being able to stick with it for more than 2 weeks at a time, letting go on weekends and evening and making wrong food choices. I'm now trying to re-train my brain to understand that this needs to be a lifestyle change, with a balanced nutritional intake and it wont happen overnight! Would apprecate this groups support in exchange of being supportive to others. :) Thanks.

Hunny - 12 pounds is great. How long is "a while"? Have you really been "on it" or just sometimes? ;)
  • LaDonnaLoves
    Options
    Salkeela, I'm sorry if my response came across as anything other than positive. It was more of a, "glad you didn't whine" to me, I didn't hear you making excuses or complaining, and I was loving that - but clearly do not always communicate effectively, for which you have my sincere apology.

LaDonnaflowerforyou

Salkela: Welcome! If you can't exercise, it's okay - just don't whine about it and focus on all the positivity and balance it out with control over your intake.

Read my post again. No whining evident! Just the facts - and then the positive angle of retraining my dog to my hand and voice signals. All positive. I was hoping for a slightly more positive welcome!
    [/quote]
  • Salkeela
    Options
    :blushing:

Apology accepted .... Written word doesn't always come across the right way!

Onwards and upwards! :smile:
  • rcunninghamster
    rcunninghamster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Ramona and I am 50 years old. My goal is to lose 80 pounds, but I would settle for 50. My husband and have sedentary lifestyles that I am trying to change. Last year I was on a program similar to this one that concentrated only on activity, called Direct Life. I had an activity monitor that I still possess, but only lost four pounds when I was the most active. Clearly, I need to also track my intake, which I have been reluctant to do. We eat out a lot and later at night, so I think that is part of how we have gained weight.

My health is good too, so I would like to get my activity levels up again. I just started a job that is more active, and I am interested in eating more at home and healthier foods. So far this has been encouraging!
  • BernaRoche
    Options
    Meant to post this next to Sal's post - have to learn how to use this thing!:laugh:
  • BernaRoche
    Options
    Hello folks,

I'm 49 and aiming to loose 20lbs with MFP. I have already lost about 24lb since last year - some of that through sensible diet and exercise, but also some due to ill health.

Sadly I can no longer exercise due to the onset of ME/CFS in March of this year. Before illness I was a Biology teacher and a very active person. Now my world is a bit different - and that includes the fact that I must eat very little in order not to gain weight!

The little dog you see in my avatar is my Patsy (a Patterdale cross Jack Russell) who I started to train for agility last year. I've been retraining her to verbal and hand signals so that I can continue to compete with her without having to run along side her. Last week end we did our first competition without getting eliminated!!!! YAY!

Looking forward to some inspiration and support within a smallish postively focussed group.

Sal

Sal, I am a biology teacher too, and used to do agility with my first dog! Glad you are still up for the agility training with your dog - it will be a good motivator for you to be doing something you love, and not having to give it up. Good luck with the hand signals - I always thought it was fun to watch people move their dogs with a flick of their shoulder! You'll be more active with your dog, and even though it won't be what you think of as "exercise", you'll still be moving, bending, flexing, and so in a sense will be exercising lightly!