AMAZON FAMILIES!

Options
So how many of you come from super tall families? Or are you the sole tall person of the family??

My whole family is 5'11+. My mom is 5'11, I'm 6'0, my dad and 17 year old sister are 6'3 and my 20 year old brother is 6'4.
My boyfriend also comes from a huge family- his sister is 6'0, mom is 6'1, dad was 6'2 and he is a short 6'9.

How about you?

And yes- I do have a relative who played in the Indiana Hoosiers and NY Knicks for a few years :)

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm the tallest girl in my family. My dad is 6'2, mom is 5'6, and (older) sister is 5'7. I have a couple of guy cousins that are around 6'0 - 6'2 but my tallest girl cousin is maybe 5'10. I'm the winner of this round haha
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My parents are both about 5'8 or 5'9, I'm 5'11 and my older brother is about 5'10 probably. Weird. All my cousins are pretty good sized though, all over 6'0 for the most part. My mom's sisters are 5'9 and 5'10 though. My dad's sisters are only like 5'4. So the height thing skipped a gen in my dad's side and its pretty even on my mom's side. My cousins on my mom's side are 6'1, 6'7, and 6'2 (girl). My dad's side they are probably 6'0 across the board and then a 6'1 and a 6'2 thrown in there for good measure.

So, I feel normal sized at family gatherings :O) which is fun. I always felt "normal" growing up, I just thought all my short school friends were the ones who were weird! And I will maintain that feeling forever...
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My dad was 6'4" - and mom was 5'9" - I say was because they've both shrunk in their old age.

I am an only child - so have no siblings to compare to, and I am 6'2". I have scoliosis though - and my doc said if it wasn't for that I would of been 6'4" or so (THANK YOU SCOLIOSIS!!).

I don't have any really tall relatives on either side of my family though. My grandma (dad's mom) is about 5'6"-5'7" -- and compared to all the other 84 yr old + women she socializes with she looks insanely tall. But she wasn't abnormally tall for her time.

FUNNY thing - a couple weeks ago we were at my gma's looking through old photo albums - and I found a picture from the early 1900's (we estimated approx. 1920) of my grandma's mother's side of the family - and I have a relative that had to be atleast 6'1" - a woman. She stood out like a sore thumb in the picture - was taller than all the men and of course dwarfed the women. Can you imagine how HUGE that would of been for a woman in the turn of the century?!!?

So Idk, moral of the story - I am a freak. lol My mom the other day said, "can you imagine how tall a brother of yours would of been if we would of had a boy?"--- and I said - ya he'd prob be 5'10"!! LOL Cause that's just how it works... haha
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My Dad and his twin are 6'4. I'm 5'11. My cousin is maybe 6'1. Everyone else is under 5'8. I was ALWAYS poked fun at because I grew so quickly and was 5'9 by the time I was 11.

My mom is 5'4, her parents were of average height, but her aunt (on her dad's side) was rumored to be 6'0. I never got the chance to meet anyone on my mom's side other than her parents and sister (she's from UK, I was born in Pennsylvania).
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My mom is 5'10" and my dad is 6'4". I am the short sibling at 6'0"; my younger brother is 6'2" and my older brother is 6'6".
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11". My mom is 5'6" and my dad is 6'3". My brother is 6'4". My dad has a brother that is 6'5" and my mom had an uncle that was 6'9". But, all of my grandarents are of average height (well below 6 feet tall).
    I am the tallest woman on both my mother's and father's side of the family.

And my husband is 5'10", while both of his parents are very short. They are 5'4" and 5'5". He is by far the tallest in his family.
  • millygrl
    millygrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm the shortest in the family at 5'11 1/2, my mom is next at 5'11 3/4. (We are very serious about our 1/4 inches). Next is my dad at 6'1, then brother at 6'7. On my mom's side of the family all the cousins boy and girls are over 5'10. Uncles over 6'3 and aunts over 5'9. However on my dad's side everyone is under 5'7, guys and girls alike. My parents, brother and I are like giants at family get togethers with them.
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am the tallest girl in my family at 5'11". My mum is only 5'6" and my dad was maybe around 6'2". My brother is average at 5'9". All my female cousins are around 5'4". I have one older male cousin who is 6'. Guess I'm just lucky :)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am the tallest in my family at 6'2", My dad is 6' and mom is 5'5. None of my 3 sisters are above 5'8". Honestly if i didnt look like my dad i would think i was adopted! lol.

My dads side of the family is pretty tall. Most of my guy cousins are about 6' to 6'2". None of the girl cousins are above 5'9".
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10. My Dad is 5'10 and my Mom is 5'6. My 14 year old daughter is 5'9 with size 12 woman's shoe. I don't think she is done growing!!
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My parents lived through World War II in the Netherlands and they said there wasn't much food so my dad is at the tallest around 5 feet 7 and my mom is only about 5 feet.

BUT....I am 6 feet, 3 of my brothers are over 6 feet 3 inches, and one brother is about 5 feet 11. My parents think it is because we got proper nutrition. Oh, and we are Dutch. LOL Dutch people are supposed to be the tallest in the world.

Almost all of my uncles on my mom's side are very tall, but all the aunts are very short on my mom's side. On my dad's side, the men are relatively short and the women are tall and thin. All my male cousins are TALL....ALL of them on both sides of the family. The girls are average...I'm the only really tall cousin.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mother was 5'10, my father is 6'6. I have cousins (male) who are 6'7, 6'8, 6'9 respectively. I am 6'0 even and have no siblings.

I am primarily Dutch (on both sides) and learned that one part of family is from the Friesland region of the Netherlands , site of some of (if not the tallest) people in the world.
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am the only child of my parents' marriage, and both parents re-married and had more kids. My parents are average height (dad is 5'11 and mum is 5'7) but my mum has really tall siblings (no-one is under 6ft) and the woman my dad had his other kids with also comes from a really tall family, so out of my dad's kids - there are 4 of us - I'm the runt at 6ft! My brother is 6'1, and only 17 so he will get taller. My sisters are 6'1 and 6'2 respectively.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Mum- 5ft 8
    Dad- 5ft 10
    Brother- 6ft

Me- 6ft 2

I also have a cousin who's about 5ft 10 and 14 :) She's like a mini me.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Everyone but my mum is tall, my dad is 6'7", my baby brother (17 years old) is 6'2" and i'm 6'0".. Momma is 5'6"! haha!

My partner and I will be a tall family as well, he is 6'3".
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My mother was 5'10, my father is 6'6. I have cousins (male) who are 6'7, 6'8, 6'9 respectively. I am 6'0 even and have no siblings.

I am primarily Dutch (on both sides) and learned that one part of family is from the Friesland region of the Netherlands , site of some of (if not the tallest) people in the world.

I find it very interesting that the Dutch are making a statement on this board! Ironically, my boyfriend's mom found herself a Dutch boyfriend recently, she is quite tall herself :)

I am Polish, German and Croatian. All of my Polish relatives are 5'8 and smaller, and all of my German relatives are the same. My Croatian relatives are the ones who are 6'0+. I heard during the Olympics that one of the cities in Croatia has the tallest average population of any city in the world!!!