Transitioning to maintenance

Options
I'm within 4 lbs of my goal of 125lbs. I have found very little information on what to do next! I am still currently doing Cardio for an hour 6 days per week, and weight resistance training as well on three of those days. Today I will start slowly increasing my calorie intake which will still be low enough to lose the other 4 lbs (I hope!) does anyone have any pointers? I need all he help I can get!!!!

Replies

• kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've just increased my calories by 100 each week to see if it stabilizes. Right now that seems to be at 1500 calories (I'm 5'4" and my goal weight was 122 but I've gotten down to 120 trying to stabilize my weight). I also decreased the amount of cardio I have been doing to just mostly walking (but nothing high intensity).

For me, this seems to be working. I'm still playing with the calories and eating back exercise calories to see how it all goes. :-)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think increasing by 100 each week is a good idea but just know that a 2-3 pound gain is NORMAL--that doesn't mean you've exceeded maintenance. Food has mass and when you increase calories there's more mass in your intestines. So--allow a 2-3 pound gain before assuming you're eating too much.
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot you guys! We'll see how this goes!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    When I was within 5 lbs of my goal, I changed to a 250 Cal/day (1/2 lb per week) deficit, then changed to a maintenance calories once I reached my goal. I only changed how many calories I ate, I still do the same amount of cardio and weight training.
    From there, I just weigh myself occasionally and make small adjustments to keep at maintenance. I found I had to adjust my calories slightly upward by 50-100 calories/day to maintain my current weight. I have been maintaining for almost a year now.
    I think increasing by 100 each week is a good idea but just know that a 2-3 pound gain is NORMAL--that doesn't mean you've exceeded maintenance. Food has mass and when you increase calories there's more mass in your intestines. So--allow a 2-3 pound gain before assuming you're eating too much.

When I switched to maintenance calories, I coasted down another 5 lbs over the next month and pretty much stayed put from there.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    When I was within 5 lbs of my goal, I changed to a 250 Cal/day (1/2 lb per week) deficit, then changed to a maintenance calories once I reached my goal. I only changed how many calories I ate, I still do the same amount of cardio and weight training.
    From there, I just weigh myself occasionally and make small adjustments to keep at maintenance. I found I had to adjust my calories slightly upward by 50-100 calories/day to maintain my current weight. I have been maintaining for almost a year now.

When I switched to maintenance calories, I coasted down another 5 lbs over the next month and pretty much stayed put from there.

well, everyone is different. Of course if you increased slowly you're likely to keep losing. If you raise faster then there might be a sudden spike. Either is possible.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I also gradually increased my calories. Because I don't really want to eat a ton, I also found that I needed to lower the amount of time I exercise, which was a little scary!

I would add 50-100 calories per week and keep it there for a week or two and then increase again, either until you stop losing or you reach your max capacity of food. In the latter case, then you need to decrease your exercise to make calories in equal calories out.

I've been maintaining for about 5 months (although I actually lost a few more pounds in that time). I've settled at 1560 calories plus exercise calories. I generally run 3-4 times per week for around 30 minutes per session.

I don't stress about being under every day. If I go over one day, I try to make up for it in the next day or so. Life is meant to be lived and the more flexible you are, the easier it will be to maintain.

Given the fact that maintenance is a mental adjustment, I guess (ideally) it might be good to transition to maintenance BEFORE you actually reach your goal because there generally is additional loss after you start "maintaining".
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck on maintenance! I am in the same boat. I'm 2 pounds from my original goal and am not yet sure if I want to stop there or not, but I've already increased my calories to 1500. I'm currently losing roughly between .2 and .8 pounds a week. I'm not sure how maintenance works since I've never really maintained any specific weight for very long in any kind of healthy way, so this is all new to me! I just joined the maintenance group so I hope to learn more about how to maintain this lifestyle! Again, good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • lisab0864
    Options
    I've been at goal for 18+ months now... Maintenance was a scary thing when I started cuz I've never really did it before. I did as the others have said -- increased my calories slowly. Like many others, I ended up losing more weight and ended up about 12 pounds below my goal weight before I finally started maintaining (gained back 5 pounds of that in May - over 1 year at goal). I've actually increased my exercise since then (cardio 3 1/2 hrs week and some weight training) -- partly cuz I wasn't doing a whole lot of it before and I want to make sure I keep my heart healthy (at that age that it is a worry). Not sure how you feel about the scale but getting on it most days of the week has really worked for me -- if I see my target number a couple days in a row then I cut back until the scale goes where it belongs.
    I'm 48 years old, 5'6" tall and about 140 lbs. I currently eat around 2300 cals/day but I am very active in my daily life (farmer). I haven't changed the way I eat -- just eat more...

Congrats on getting to goal!!!!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I, too, have just reached my target weight. It has been a 5 year process with the last 2 years kinda sneaking up on it. I never radically cut back the on the food intake, though I certainly did cut back on calories (gave up sugary drinks, cut back on desserts and went to more normal portion sizes). I allowed the exercise to create the deficit between in and out.

I don't see a reason to change my exercise routine and I just may allow myself to drop a couple of more pounds for "slosh" room in weight variance.

Of course, we have Thanksgiving coming up....
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly scared by being at the end of this particular weight-loss trek, just a little concerned because of my history of going up and down over the years, always gaining back everything I have lost and more. I've now returned to the size and shape (mostly :-)) I was in 27 years ago, when I was first running with my husband-to-be. This is the first time that I've lost slowly and conscientiously though, and it's the first time that I had such an easy time logging. In the old days (before computers and automatic calorie counters like MFP), it was a lot more work to get anywhere near accurate records, and basically I just tried to eat as little as possible. I love being able to up my calories by eating.

Just today, I changed myself to "lightly active," instead of sedentary, because I am a teacher, so I stand up for much of the day and have to walk up and down halls on occasion. I'm hoping that helps me start eating for maintenance, rather than throwing caution to the winds as I did for a couple of months. I still have my calories set for a half-pound weekly weight loss, because I had gained a few back by not watching what I was doing. It's winter, and I have never lived through a winter without gaining weight. Hope to do that at last. The fact that I am working out to be in shape for a competition next August will probably motivate me for a while, but then I'm going to need to spur my motivation to get through the dog days (March/April) of an Alaskan winter.
  • AD20878
    AD20878 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I found this to be a very useful thread. I made my original target but would like to go a bit further & then focus on maintenance. I expect to get there sometime in January. So I am very interested in the "glide path" from loss to maintenance. Would love to become MFP friends with others who have recently done this transition or are also gearing up for it. Have a great day. Cheers, Al
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting towards maintenance mode! I've been in it for 27 weeks now and will say it does take some getting used to. Everyone's body is different. You just have to find the right calorie goal for you :) I did what everyone else has said and increased my calories slowly until I wasn't losing anymore...I actually went 3 LBs past my initial goal weight because I was still trying to figure out maintenance mode. Now it's all about strength and not worrying so much about what I'm eating....If I can't get in a good workout, I set mini goals throughout my day to get in a little cardio here and there...it's about setting other goals for yourself instead of just to lose weight.

Congrats again! :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hi. I found this to be a very useful thread. I made my original target but would like to go a bit further & then focus on maintenance. I expect to get there sometime in January. So I am very interested in the "glide path" from loss to maintenance. Would love to become MFP friends with others who have recently done this transition or are also gearing up for it. Have a great day. Cheers, Al

Once I reached my target weight, I switched from the original setting of 1 pound/week loss to 0.5 pounds per week. It is a little strange to see numbers that are higher than I am accustomed to seeing. Over on Fitbit, I had to change the program to maintenance and lower the target weight to correspond to my actual weight because it does not to see a "loss" plan with an actual value below your target weight. It is giving a lot more room in my caloric intake but I'm pretty much ignoring it for the moment.