Hives

Options
brlady21
brlady21 Posts: 3 Member
I started IP on 6/16/12 and up until 2 week ago I had lost 22 lbs. Around mid August, I start breaking out in hives. I finally went to my dermatologist last week and received a shot and Pednisone for 3 wks. She told me to stop the IP products since this was the only new thing I had added. I am really bummed out...finally found something that worked at my age (56) and postmenopausal.

Has anyone else had a problem with hives? Could it be the soy in the products?

Replies

• omorgano
    omorgano Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's weird that you didnt have any issues until two weeks ago. I've never had any adverse reactions to the food. Try talking to your coach.
  • livaneah
    livaneah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When burning fat you are releasing toxins back into your body that were stored in the body fat... maybe you had a bad reaction to these toxins?? It seems odd to me that you would eat something for a few months before having an allergic reaction. I have food allergies and have not had an issue with the IP foods.
  • mrs_zilla
    mrs_zilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "When burning fat you are releasing toxins back into your body that were stored in the body fat" do you have sources to back up this claim?

As for the time it took for her to develop a reaction to a product, someone can develop intolerance (not allergy) to something over a long period of time. Sometimes it takes years. If she stops taking the IP products and the hives are gone, maybe it is indeed some substance she has developed intolerance to. The doctor is right. It can be the soy or ANYTHING.
  • omorgano
    omorgano Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I thought that was a commonly known fact, but here you go:

"Most of the toxins in your body are stored in fat, according to Ann Louise Gittleman, author of "The Fast Track One-Day Detox Diet." So while losing weight is good for your overall health --- and body image --- as you lose fat, you are releasing previously stored toxins into your body, which may increase your risk of other health problems, warns Gittleman."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/324017-body-toxins-from-weight-loss/#ixzz28AyvVAY9

Also, building an intolerance to something is not the same as having an allergic reaction.
  • brlady21
    brlady21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input. I have had soy products in the past and never had any reaction to it. I REALLY don't want it to be the IP products since this has worked so well for me. But, I am going to do what the DR. says and see what happens once I am off the cortisone.