Plastic Surgery

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
Ok I am only 7 months our from RNY, but I am almost at goal weight and the skin is really starting to bother me. Is there a required amount of time that you should wait before having the nips and tucks? It's not a pretty sight and I am ready to be done with it!!!!

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended two years from reaching goal to give the skin time to make some adjustments of it's own but I know many women who got to goal and went straight to the plastic surgeon. I don't think there is an actual required time so if you know you're ready it can't hurt to make that first appointment with a plastic surgeon and learn more.
  • veggibus
    veggibus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A plastic surgeon presented at a support group meeting that I went to last week. She said that she won't operate unless you've plateaued for at least 6 months.

Also, my program says that you should generally wait until ~18 months post-op before considering surgery.

I'm sure many programs and surgeons have different guidelines though. I would talk with your bariatric surgeon first and then (like Minka suggested) schedule an initial consultation with a plastic surgeon to see what his/her requirements are.

Good luck.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any information regarding insurance coverage for plastic surgery? I'm sure there are a thousand different answers, but I'd like to hear from anyone with first-hand experience.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any information regarding insurance coverage for plastic surgery? I'm sure there are a thousand different answers, but I'd like to hear from anyone with first-hand experience.

Working in the insurance industry, I can tell you that every policy is different as far as what is covered and not. May be some of the same kinds of hoops to jump thru just like getting approved for the procedure in the first place. Call your insurance company and get the answers first hand, do not rely on others coverage for your answers.