Water....what is it?

Options
L1brar1an
L1brar1an Posts: 9 Member
I've been having a conversation with someone who says the soda and coffee I drink during the day counts toward my water intake. I disagree. What's your opinion?

Replies

• ketodeb
    ketodeb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a solid no on that one.
  • myrrha31
    myrrha31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heard differing opinions on that. My thoughts would be that if it is a drink without calories or caffeine, then it is a solid maybe. With caffeine, then I would say no, as caffeine has a dehydrating effect on the body, so water in water out.

I tend not to count anything but water, but I don't drink a lot of diet drinks, and only one cup of coffee in the morning. You will hear people say it is fine, I have no studies to back up my opinion one way or the other.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Popular opinion says that caffeinated drinks and sugary drinks don't count, but I've read some interesting research that said that even stuff like the water in bread or buns, or water in fruit and vegetables should be counted towards your intake.

Personally, I log anything with flavor but rarely remember to log water.
  • PreshelledPistachio
    Options
    All drinks count, just some drinks are healthier than others. It is true that of all the water you need in one day, you'll get some of it from food. So if food counts then surely hot drinks, fizzy drinks and squash count.

I did read that tea and coffee don't dehydrate you because the water in the mug cancels out the dehydrating effect of the actual caffeine. But personally I do not find that hot drinks or fizzy drinks make me feel hydrated, only water and squash do.

So I try to drink mostly water and squash but I'm happy to top up with other drinks.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hard to say.

I would assume clear fluids they consider okay for surgery etc, would be fine. Stuff that's not high in sodium content, is usually decaffeinated, not super sugary (think nectar) and is not alcoholic. But, that's just me. I drink tons of Mio + Water, it hasn't kicked me out of keto and I urinate quite a bit during the day.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've always gone with, as coffee is a diuretic and you lose more water drinking it than you actually take on board then it doesn't count (Doesn't stop me drinking it, I just don't count it as water).
  • FlyingGnome
    Options
    I personally don't count soda, coffee, or tea due to caffeine. I do count water flavored with stuff like Crystal Light since it's caffeine free, but for the most part I'm trying to keep my water plain because I find it easiest to drink more that way.