For those who've been in it for 4+ months... questions

Options
Hi folks,

I'm in month 3, and I love the program. I have some questions for folks who've been at it longer than I have.

1. How long have you been doing 5x5 (to provide context for your answers to the other questions)
2. Have you switched to 3x5 yet? If so, when did you switch?
3. How long do you rest between sets?
4. How freqently do you find yourself de-loading?
5. Are you still going up in 5lb increments, or have you picked up the smaller plates and started using those? If so, when did you start that?

About me: 45yo male, long history of on again/off again exercise, including weight training; but only just started doing the real stuff: squats, deads, etc. Well, I actually was doing deads and cleans several years ago, but only for about 6 months, and I've really never done squats before now. I follow Rippetoe's techniques very closely for all the exercises, but I've been following 5x5 for the program itself. I feel myself starting to plateau in some ways, and I'm wondering what others experiences have been.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for about 4 mos so far. I got up to 240 on squats and stalled. I deloaded to 225 to finish my set and then worked my way back up to 250. Then I started having hip joint pain. I worked through it to finish 250, but it was too much the next time I tried to squat. I am currently not squating because of the pain in my hip. I stalled the most on overhead press. I am currently at 130 and on my second stall at this weight. Have not deloaded on overhead yet, but definately the most stalls. I am at 180 on the bench. I have had one deload on bench after stalling 3 times at 185. My next bench day is Wed and I will be attempting 185 again, I feel good about getting it this time. Rows have been a problem for me. I have voluntarily deloaded several times because I know my form sucked. I got up to 145 but was not keeping my back flat. I am really only at about 125 with good form on rows. I am up to 315 on deads. 1st stall on deads was 315 - stalled only getting 4 reps at 315 the first time, the second time I tried 315 I got all 5 reps, but form was not the best. Today I did 5x at 315 with good (enough) form and will be going on to 325 next attempt. I had to swith to a mixed grip on deads at 305. Since I am not currently squating I have been adding in power cleans on bench day and leg extensions and leg curls on deadlift days. Hopefully my hip will be back up to par soon
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Awesome info, thanks. Looks like you're doing really well. I hope your hip gets better soon.

I'm currently using about half your weight on squats and deads, 95 on overhead press, and 115 on bench. I've stalled on press but not on bench, but I voluntarily deloaded on both just because I'm a bit older and this is really the first time I've been in a such a rigorous program with these lifts. Just giving my body a little extra time to adapt, since there's no way I'm recovering/adapting the way I used to. Still, so far, the weights keep going up - I was psyched when I deadlifted 160. (I know, it's nothing, but for me, it's a personal best, and as long as I'm progressing, I'm happy. Maybe in a year, I'll start moving some respectable weight).

I'm also toying with the idea of dropping to 2lb increments instead of 5 (5 instead of 10 for deads). I lift alone in my garage, no spotters other than my cat and my 7yo, so I really want to avoid really *missing* a rep on squats and having to drop the bar. I have a squat rack, not a full cage, and I think I'll feel a lot more comfortable once I upgrade. I did all my sets on Monday, but I was had a head problem that almost killed me. I think getting a full cage with a set of strong safety bars will cure it.
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Check craigslist for a used power rack. Lifting inside the rack gives you more confidence to go for that last rep because you know in the back of your mind that you have the pins there just in case. I lift inside the rack at our gym but I have seen racks on craigslist for under $200.00. Just dont do like I did... if something hurts then back off. It takes a lot less time to work back from a deload then from n injury
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I'm in month 3, and I love the program. I have some questions for folks who've been at it longer than I have.

1. How long have you been doing 5x5 (to provide context for your answers to the other questions)
    5. Are you still going up in 5lb increments, or have you picked up the smaller plates and started using those? If so, when did you start that?

About me: 45yo male, long history of on again/off again exercise, including weight training; but only just started doing the real stuff: squats, deads, etc. Well, I actually was doing deads and cleans several years ago, but only for about 6 months, and I've really never done squats before now. I follow Rippetoe's techniques very closely for all the exercises, but I've been following 5x5 for the program itself. I feel myself starting to plateau in some ways, and I'm wondering what others experiences have been.

Thanks in advance!

I'm 61.
    Did 5x5 for a little over 3 months before switching to 3x5. I was having recovery issues.
    I rest 3 minutes between sets although I am often doing a supplementary like say curls between sets of squats.
    I've deloaded 2x in 6 months
    I'm going up in 5lb increments once a week and not every workout.

While you are younger than me, you are not 25 anymore. I've found the changes I've made above to be very helpful with recovery and progression once I accepted the fact that my progression would be different at my age. Rippletoe recommeds the Texas Method for older lifters and I've considered that as a possible option but 3x 5 is working just fine for me as of now.
  • Brian_VA
    Options
    I am 52 and did SL5x5 for about 3 months. Got to 240 lb squats, 250 lb DL, 200 lb bench. I started missing and it was sort of depressing. Around that time a friend challenged me to do a triathlon sprint. I switched from lifting to running / biking / swimming. Love it! Can see myself going back to SL 5x5 from time to time for 2-3 month stints, but decided 240 lbs was enough - and the effort and risk of injury to keep pushing heavier wasn't worth seeing an extra 5, 10, or even more lbs on my max lifts. Conversely finishing the triathlon and now able to run 10k have been incredibly motivating. I believe that the strength training and use of minimalist running shoes (midfoot strike) have been the secrets to avoiding knee pain and shin splints.

If you feel you have hit a wall with strength training, triathlon training may be just the thing for you!
  • Brian_VA
    Options
    Just reread my post above and wanted to clarify one thing.

I LOVED StrongLifts 5x5 and recommend it highly to anyone trying to get back in shape. It is awesome! I struggled hard to overcome form and strength challenges and reached most of my strength goals. But once I got to a certain level of strength and faltered trying to push beyond, I decided to pursue other fitness interests rather than ladder down and redouble my efforts to try to move the weight higher.

I plan to go back to SL5X5 in the future to regain lost strength, but won't be a full-time strength trainer as many of the SL5X5 members are.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Check craigslist for a used power rack. Lifting inside the rack gives you more confidence to go for that last rep because you know in the back of your mind that you have the pins there just in case. I lift inside the rack at our gym but I have seen racks on craigslist for under $200.00. Just dont do like I did... if something hurts then back off. It takes a lot less time to work back from a deload then from n injury

I bought a power cage from Amazon (I've been trolling Craig's List, but nothing was turning up, so I just made the leap to a new one. Gets good reviews, and the price was right - here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UMM4QC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

It's in my garage right now, just waiting for me to put together - I can't wait!!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!

I'm 61.
    Did 5x5 for a little over 3 months before switching to 3x5. I was having recovery issues.
    I rest 3 minutes between sets although I am often doing a supplementary like say curls between sets of squats.
    I've deloaded 2x in 6 months
    I'm going up in 5lb increments once a week and not every workout.

While you are younger than me, you are not 25 anymore. I've found the changes I've made above to be very helpful with recovery and progression once I accepted the fact that my progression would be different at my age. Rippletoe recommeds the Texas Method for older lifters and I've considered that as a possible option but 3x 5 is working just fine for me as of now.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I've heard of the Texas method (I think I even have a description of it someplace), but I'm still sticking with 5x5 for now. I'm monitoring my recovery pretty closely, and I've started going up in 2lb increments on most of my lifts. Also, I'm trying to reduce fat, so I'm definitely eating below the probably recommended level - I probably come in at around 2000 cals/day, mostly protein. My weight/body fat is dropping, and my strength is still going up, so I guess I'm doing something right.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Just reread my post above and wanted to clarify one thing.

I LOVED StrongLifts 5x5 and recommend it highly to anyone trying to get back in shape. It is awesome! I struggled hard to overcome form and strength challenges and reached most of my strength goals. But once I got to a certain level of strength and faltered trying to push beyond, I decided to pursue other fitness interests rather than ladder down and redouble my efforts to try to move the weight higher.

I plan to go back to SL5X5 in the future to regain lost strength, but won't be a full-time strength trainer as many of the SL5X5 members are.

Hi, thanks. I have thought about triathlon training, but was thinking more about shorter, sprint triathlons. I agree about knowing when you've gotten 'strong enough,' and I don't plan to keep pushing my numbers up indefinitely. If I get around where you got, I'll probably slide into more of a maintenance mode, and maybe think about only going up over the course of a month, instead of each week or each workout.

Thanks again for sharing your story!
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    My triathlon was a sprint. Although thinking now about an Olympic.