Low Carb Chia Patties - Recipe (they are yummy!!!)

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I found the recipe for these off some other random website that I cant find now (of course). These are really good!!!! I have tried some different variations but this is the original recipe:

Cheesey Garlic Chia Patties
1/4 Water
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 chia seeds
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I use colby jack)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (more or less to taste)

Beat egg and water together until smooth, then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir together well and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Heat up a skillet (I use coconut oil to fry these in) and fry. You can make 2 larger patties or a few small ones with this recipe. They only take a few minutes to cook and they are ready to flip when you start to see small bubbles form in the raw "dough". I cook them until they are brown and crispy. The original recipe said these were used for hamburger buns. They have more of a heavy pancake consistency. I ate them by themselves with a little butter.

The main ingredients are the egg, water, chia seeds and baking powder. I ALWAYS add those but I have subbed almond milk for the water (dont use both) and they come out even more delicious. I have also added splenda and cinnamon and then topped off with sugar free maple syrup and butter. That's my favorite!!! I also make one with the almond milk replacing the water, add a TBS of splenda, and half a scoop of vanilla whey protein shake mix and about 1/8 tsp of vanilla extract. Then I top w/ coconut oil and sugar free blackberry jam. I have eaten them for breakfast every day since I discovered them.

I think you could make just about any variation you like. I am going to try a spinach and cheese one this weekend and see how it turns out.

Nutritional content is for the cheese patties is around:
393 Calories, 17 carbs, 16 Fiber, 0 Sugar, 19 protein, 28 fat
This is for the entire recipe, not per patty.

Here is the nutritional value for the "base" ingredients - dont forget to track whatever you might add into it!
257 Calories, 16 Carbs, 16 Fiber, 0 Sugar, 11 Protein, 16 Fat

I made a "base" chia patty recipe in MFP and then add the things like protein powder, etc which will of course effect the calorie and carb counts.
Yes, they are high in calorie but I gaurantee you wont be hungry for more breakfast after you eat them!!!!

Enjoy! Send me a message if you have any questions.

**I posted the base recipe/ingredients in the MFP database. You can also find it in my diary**

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I heartily endorse this recipe :drinker:

I made them last night and added some chopped, sauteed sweet red pepper. Fantastic.
    Going to to add a little red onion next time too.
    I may have to start buying chia seed in 50 lb bags.

Chia seed, the new Flax seed.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    loooove this! will need to try it! Wonder if I can buy chia seed in the supermarket?
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    I heartily endorse this recipe :drinker:

I made them last night and added some chopped, sauteed sweet red pepper. Fantastic.
    Going to to add a little red onion next time too.
    I may have to start buying chia seed in 50 lb bags.

Chia seed, the new Flax seed.

LOL! I thought the same thing this morning... "Now where can I get these in bulk??"
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    loooove this! will need to try it! Wonder if I can buy chia seed in the supermarket?

I havent seen them at the supermarket.. not mine at least. I know they sell them at Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, but not sure about regular stores. I would love to know if someone finds them elsewhere.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I get my flax seeds cheap at a Bulk foods store but I don't think they have chia seed (not that I was looking).
    I get mine from netrition. Cheapest brand is 10.49/lb.
    Nothing I see in bulk on the net is any cheaper than 9.xx so not a lot of room to work with so far.
    Netrition only charges 4.95 oer order for shipping (any size) .
    Post if you fins a cheaper source and shipping is reasonable.
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Bump
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    they don't have them at the regular store where i live, sadly.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    These sound great - will be trying them this weekend!
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    I tried another version with:

1/4 unsweet almond milk (instead of the water)
    a splash of vanilla extract
    2 TBS Splenda
    2 TBS (or so) Ricotta cheese

These are not as firm as the others due to the Ricotta BUT they are SO yummy with S/F Blackberry Jam. By far my favorite.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Bumping, so I can remember the recipe!!!!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    FYI- I just found the chia seeds at my Fred Meyers (aka Kroger) grocery store in the natural food section.:drinker:
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Bump because my seeds should come today!
  • mstorvik
    Options
    WTH!! I see it in your dairy and I cannot find it in the database.... yet I know it's there. Help? Otherwise I can make the recipe in my own MFP. Thanks in advance... silly MFP....
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    WTH!! I see it in your dairy and I cannot find it in the database.... yet I know it's there. Help? Otherwise I can make the recipe in my own MFP. Thanks in advance... silly MFP....

I dont know - I tried searching for it too and it wouldnt come up. I can send you the info if you need it or you can look in my diary. I dont remember if I posted it in my blog or not but feel free to look there too.
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Ok here you go...

This is the recipe for the base ingredients in chia patty recipe. You can add many different things to this to make a wonderful meal. I have added cheese, onion and garlic. I have also added protein powder with blackberry sugar free jam. The possibilities are endless and these make a wonderful, filling, low carb meal! ***These ingredients ALONE will not make a very good chia patty. They need to have additional ingredients added - spices, cheese, etc or they will be plain and yucky!***

1/4 c Water
    1 Egg
    1/4 c Chia Seeds
    1 tsp Baking Powder

Prep time - 5 minutes
    Sit time - 5 minutes
    Cook time - 5-7 minutes

Mix water and egg until smooth.
    Add the rest of your ingredients (the ones listed AND the ones of your choosing.
    Allow to sit for 5 minutes (or slightly longer)
    You can make either 2 lg or a few small patties from this recipe
    Drop onto a heated skillet and fry until golden brown
    They are ready to flip when the raw side and edges start to bubble (like a pancake)
    I fry these in coconut oil until they are crispy on the edges!! YUM
    I have a few variations that I love - send me a message for some ideas if you like!
    Also, these are dense enough to throw in a tupperware container and take them to go!

Spectrum Essentials - Chia Seeds, 4 Tbsp (12g) 240 (cals) 16(carb) 16 Fiber 0 sugar 8 protein 16 fat
    Water - Municipal, 0.25 cup (8 fl oz) 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Clabber Girl - Baking Powder, 1 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Generic - Egg White, Fresh, Raw - Large, 1 large egg white, raw (33g) 17 0 0 0 3 0

Total: 257 (cals) 16 (carb) 16 (fiber) 0 (sugar) 11(protein) 16 (fat)
    Per Serving: 257 16 16 0 11 16 (same)
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Did it!

Made two big pattys with the Colby Jack like you said - ate one, husband at the other. I need to really put more salt in them next time. Loved how the cheese crisped up!

For some reason, my coconut oil kinda smokes... so I used spray pam.

Accidentally put a whole teaspoon of garlic powder in, but didn't even taste the garlic. Might be worth it to put a minced real garlic clove in it... So many possibilities.

Weird how it absorbs the liquid! Also, I think it's absorbing everything in my stomach... I feel kinda bloated from one patty! HA!

Thank you again!!
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this, once I buy Chia seeds. Thanks!
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Did it!

Made two big pattys with the Colby Jack like you said - ate one, husband at the other. I need to really put more salt in them next time. Loved how the cheese crisped up!

For some reason, my coconut oil kinda smokes... so I used spray pam.

Accidentally put a whole teaspoon of garlic powder in, but didn't even taste the garlic. Might be worth it to put a minced real garlic clove in it... So many possibilities.

Weird how it absorbs the liquid! Also, I think it's absorbing everything in my stomach... I feel kinda bloated from one patty! HA!

Thank you again!!

Yes!!! Drink your water!!! LOL
  • mahlerosa
    Options
    Can't wait to try this. I need some sugar free maple syrup.